Doctor Who

Started by FSBlueApocalypse, June 20, 2011, 04:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Another new trailer came out, big thing is them going into a pyramid labeled "Area 52"

[yt]PfQ9TGwIXyA[/yt]

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on August 09, 2011, 08:05:52 PM
[yt]PfQ9TGwIXyA[/yt]

Thank you for that. I couldn't help but notice a bigger close-up of that viking again. Does it look like the same eyepatch to you guys as well?

And btw, I loved the music for that trailer. I've got a soft spot for that sort of thing, though I'm not quite sure what the name of it is. I was never very good with music theory. :-P

Not sure what you're talking about; the compound meter maybe?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 09, 2011, 09:48:06 PM
Not sure what you're talking about; the compound meter maybe?

Me neither. That was always part of my problem. I have a hard time connecting words to music. I mean, I never even learned to sight-read properly. If I needed to play a piece, I'd listen to a recording of it and extrapolate from there.

But I guess I'd say anything that sounds epic and has a chorus.

Any thoughts on the eyepatch?

Best guess it allows you to see and remember the Silence.

Also of interest, the "Viking" bears a resemblance to an old villain "Fenric" Fenric was a Norse God, and remember, one of the things in River Song's diary was a "Picnic as Asgard"

Quote from: Virgil0211 on August 09, 2011, 11:19:05 PM
Me neither. That was always part of my problem. I have a hard time connecting words to music. I mean, I never even learned to sight-read properly. If I needed to play a piece, I'd listen to a recording of it and extrapolate from there.

Normal meter goes one-and two-and one-and two-and... Compound meter goes one-and-a two-and-a one-and-a two-and-a...

QuoteAny thoughts on the eyepatch?

No clue. I was disturbed the moment I first saw River wearing it.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 10, 2011, 06:49:50 AM
Normal meter goes one-and two-and one-and two-and... Compound meter goes one-and-a two-and-a one-and-a two-and-a...

Wait, I think I remember something about this. 6/4 as opposed to 4/4?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 10, 2011, 06:49:50 AM

No clue. I was disturbed the moment I first saw River wearing it.

I think they're banking on that. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if that was how one of the teasers ended.

Quote from: Virgil0211 on August 10, 2011, 07:52:38 AM
Wait, I think I remember something about this. 6/4 as opposed to 4/4?

Generally, it's metered as 6/8. It's understood that with a quarter-note meter it's simple meter:

ONE-and TWO-and THREE-and FOUR-and FIVE-and SIX and ONE-and TWO-and THREE-and FOUR-and FIVE-and SIX and...

With an eighth-note meter it's compound:

ONE-two-three FOUR-five-six ONE-two-three FOUR-five-six...

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 10, 2011, 08:04:42 AM
Generally, it's metered as 6/8. It's understood that with a quarter-note meter it's simple meter:

ONE-and TWO-and THREE-and FOUR-and FIVE-and SIX and ONE-and TWO-and THREE-and FOUR-and FIVE-and SIX and...

With an eighth-note meter it's compound:

ONE-two-three FOUR-five-six ONE-two-three FOUR-five-six...

I just had a very odd flashback of my dad demonstrating the difference by tapping a pencil on the music stand. Rather often...

And now the rhythm is stuck in my head...

Timothy Dalton! Such a pleasure to meet you. I thought your James Bond was horribly underrated...! Wait... What's with the gauntlet?

Of course, the best example of a compound meter is the Doctor Who theme itself...

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 10, 2011, 09:21:56 AM
Of course, the best example of a compound meter is the Doctor Who theme itself...

You mean the original theme that's a part of all the opening credits themes, or one season in particular?

Quote from: Virgil0211 on August 10, 2011, 11:02:55 AM
You mean the original theme that's a part of all the opening credits themes, or one season in particular?

The original Ron Grainer/Delia Derbyshire theme, of course, and all the title themes since then.

August 10, 2011, 01:09:56 PM #88 Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:05:44 PM by Virgil0211
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 10, 2011, 11:08:57 AM
The original Ron Grainer/Delia Derbyshire theme, of course, and all the title themes since then.

Just making sure. I mean, the first few opening measures sound like they'd be compound meter if I'm remembering the difference properly.

But that's not really what drew me about the music in that trailer. I guess I'd say that it's the same thing that drew me to the "I am the Doctor" theme from 11th Hour and Carmina Burana.

And I'm slightly glum that my reference to "The End of Time" and President Rassilon fell flat. :-P

Anyone else check out the BBC America special last night? I DVRed it and thought it was good. Surprising to see some of the fans of the show.