Doctor Who

Started by FSBlueApocalypse, June 20, 2011, 04:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, hopefully it means they're setting up for something big for the 50th Anniversary.

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on March 23, 2012, 12:49:50 PM
Also Moffat confirmed what many have suspected, Series 7 will start in autumn with the new companion making her first appearance during the Christmas episode. 8 more episodes in the beginning of 2013 with more episodes to follow afterwards.

but think of the fan service!!!  :P
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

First Series 7 trailer!
[yt]J5iwoRA2Cas[/yt]

"Everybody who is not an American, drop you gun!"

that is officially the most awesome thing ever heard this march by my ears. it helps that to its advantage it comes hours after I got a phone call telling me I was rejected from yet another university's graduate program*-making the win all the more soothingly enjoyable and entertaining.

jeez, I sound like a wrestling commentator. :-\

* at least the pofessor didn't call on my birthday, like some other places I know *cough*University*cough*of*cough*Cincinnati*. and he did offer me a potential job, so I can't complain too much.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 23, 2012, 02:03:42 PM
Yeah, hopefully it means they're setting up for something big for the 50th Anniversary.

Well, a couple of obvious things:  The entire point of the last two seasons was setting up the big reveal of The Doctor's name, and that this event is so destructive (to someone, at least) that an entire civilization has dedicated themselves to destroying him before he can do so.  (The Silence are either incredibly brave or terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.  The Doctor has frequently destroyed entire civilizations because they were bent on doing something he couldn't allow.)

The other thing is the newest iteration of the Daleks were redesigned to bring them eye-to-eyestalk with Amy Pond, which is why they're taller than the previous version which was eye-to-eyestalk with Rose.  Why bother doing that unless there's a plan for a grand confrontation?

Quote from: evensgrey on March 28, 2012, 09:43:53 AMThe Silence are either incredibly brave or terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Given the fact that they tried to blow up the TARDIS in The Big Bang and end all of existence, I'd say the latter.

[spoiler]So we know Amy and Rory are leaving after the 5th episode after a "final" encounter with the Weeping Angels. Personally, I think it ends in one of two ways

1. Both Amy and Rory get sent back to the past with the Doctor in the present coming to their death beds.

2. Just Rory gets sent back to the past with the Doctor and Amy coming to his death bed. Heartbroken and angry, Amy rejects the Doctor and never wants to see him again.

Of the two, the second one would make more sense. It finally gives Rory a permanent death and makes Amy's character arc whole. [/spoiler]

Watched abunch of episodes on Netflix over the weekend so I'm in a Whovian mood.

Story idea I have for a 50th anniversary, it would probably work better as a short but here it goes.

You have a similar event to Time Crash, two Tardises collide. Catch is the control rooms are seperate so you have the Doctor working with this other Time Lord. At the end of the episode you find out its a young First Doctor.

Dialogue would be a bit tricky to write so that you think its refering to things like the Time War, but it is doable. Also, with Moffatt's attitude towards time travel paradoxes, I could see The Doctor giving himself the idea to hang out on Earth or something else similar.

So for those of you who've been wanting to get into the series but were disappointed that Netflix didn't have much in the way of classic episodes, it looks like a good amount of them are on Daily Motion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/us/relevance/universal/search/doctor+who+an+unearthly+child/1

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have them at all organized, so you'll have to consult an episode list to get you going:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

Classic Doctor Who and the TARDIS on Facebook have their own advice for people wanting to get into the classic series:

QuoteCLASSIC DOCTOR WHO AND THE TARDIS' GUIDE TO WATCHING CLASSIC WHO FOR THE FIRST TIME.
1. Don't start at the beginning. Classic Who has a slower pace to new who and to appreciate the stories who need to get into it gradually and many who have started with An Unearthly Child give up. We advise you to start from The Fourth Doctor and work your way through till you have caught up with the Movie and then when your hooked start with the first and work forwards. This sounds weird but there are only a few oldies that started with Mr Hartnell, most started with Tom as a kid or one of the 80s Doctor's and then went back as videos came into being. This is not me saying there is anything wrong with the first 3 Doctors (these Doctors have most of my favourite stories) it's just, as a starting off point, if you are not used to the pacing, you are more likely to be put off.
2. Try watching a few random recommended stories to get started eg The Pyramids of Mars or The Five Doctor's, just to settle you in.
3. Don't expect sophisticated CGI effects. CGI either didn't exist or was in its infancy when these were recorded. Yes the fx do look basic to our eyes today but these were the most sophisticated at there time and if you compare them to other TV programming of there era with the same budget, they are very good. Concentrate on the story line, most classic Who fans learn to look past the fx and appreciate the atmosphere of the storytelling.
4. Look out for influences on New who. Who can watch the fourth Doctor setting the destruction of the Zygons spaceship without thinking of The tenth Doctor destroying the family of Bloods ship or watch The Robots of death without seeing the robots in Voyage of the damned. It's these little moments that will make your viewing experience so much more enjoyable.
5. If you get bored of one story move on to the next. Like New Who, there are going to be stories you hate and some you love. Every era has it's good and bad stories it's rare for there to be a run of stories you will hate.
6. HAVE FUN you have almost 26 continuous years and a tv movie to catch up on.
Happy Watching.
(Chris)

He's got a point. The Fourth Doctor was da bomb!

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 13, 2015, 06:24:10 AM
Classic Doctor Who and the TARDIS on Facebook have their own advice for people wanting to get into the classic series:

He's got a point. The Fourth Doctor was da bomb!

Although City of Death is just WAY creepy on so many levels.

Quote from: evensgrey on February 13, 2015, 07:05:13 AM
Although City of Death is just WAY creepy on so many levels.

Oh, that was one of the best! (And it's Doctor Who--it's SUPPOSED to be creepy on many levels!)

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 13, 2015, 08:15:05 AM
Oh, that was one of the best! (And it's Doctor Who--it's SUPPOSED to be creepy on many levels!)

I don't think it's supposed to give off that creepy pedophile vibe City of Death does.

(Romana is dressed as a schoolgirl and carries it off really successfully, particularly so given that Lalla Ward was 28 at the time.  Lalla Ward's said that Romana and the Doctor were in love, and there's clearly something going on between the characters that looks really inappropriate for the ages the appear to be.)

Quote from: evensgrey on February 13, 2015, 10:04:18 AM
I don't think it's supposed to give off that creepy pedophile vibe City of Death does.

(Romana is dressed as a schoolgirl and carries it off really successfully, particularly so given that Lalla Ward was 28 at the time.  Lalla Ward's said that Romana and the Doctor were in love, and there's clearly something going on between the characters that looks really inappropriate for the ages the appear to be.)

They were in love off-camera, and might have even been married at the time. Besides, she gives her age in the episode as 125 (and since she said 140 in The Ribos Operation she's probably lying about it anyway).

And who doesn't love a bit of cosplay anyway?

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 13, 2015, 10:50:33 AM
They were in love off-camera, and might have even been married at the time. Besides, she gives her age in the episode as 125 (and since she said 140 in The Ribos Operation she's probably lying about it anyway).

And who doesn't love a bit of cosplay anyway?

They got married the following year.  It turned out to be a fairly poor idea and only lasted three years.  Lalla has since said that they mistook their characters being in love for them being in love.