Doctor Who

Started by FSBlueApocalypse, June 20, 2011, 04:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It seems like the unions miscalculated.  While it is definitely the case that Doctor Who has long been very important to the British as a cultural thing, it does not seem that the BBC considered it all that important, particularly as at this point they had only just started exporting it recently.

The show was in Syfy during the David Tennant years, although Syfy treated the show like a red headed step child.

Much as PBS did in the classic era.

I don't think broadcasters quite know what to do with Doctor Who, of any era.  The classic form was like a group of loosely related miniseries.  The new form is sort of like a standard sci fi drama, but it doesn't have enough episodes a season to be treated like one.

I don't know about the number of episodes being a problem. The Walking Dead firmly planted itself in geekdom with just 6 episodes last season and a 13 episode run this year.

I'm not talking about the audience having a problem.  13 episodes of good stories and good ideas and good writing and good acting is better than 26 episodes of mediocre stuff.

I'm talking about the broadcasters having problems fitting odd-formated shows into their schedules.  When you build your schedule around having 22-26 episodes a season, dealing with 13 (which is a LOT of episodes a season for stuff coming out of the UK, 4 or 6 has been more typical, and Doctor Who has always done this) is something of a problem.  Some broadcasters (I'm looking at YOU, Fox!) also tend to have problems with series that have a definite order that the episodes need to been seen in to make sense.  (Firefly, specifically, doesn't make a lot of sense in the order Fox aired it, particularly with the pilot at the END.)

Well, BBC America is the current rights holder to Who and they've clearly figured out Doctor Who is their #1 brand. Leading up to the premiere there was a ton of promotional material.

On another note, it seems the internet is ablaze with some interview Matt Smith did. It seems people are turning his thoughts about doing another year of Doctor Who before trying to do something in America into he's leaving next year. Nevermind he's repeatedly said he's excited to be the "incumbent" Doctor for the show's 50th anniversary season.

Interesting bit of news

Apparently BBC America is holding casting auditions for a female actress, early 20's-mid 30's, any ethnicity, and must be willing to work in the UK for an extended period of time.

I know the BBC really wants for Doctor Who to catch on in America, I wonder if we'll be getting an American companion this year.

I remember when they tried that with Peri, and made the insulting decision of hiring a British actress and having her fake an American accent. If your speculation is true, then hopefully they'll be doing it right this time.

But I don't know if it means anything; they are BBC America, and they do make a lot of shows in the UK.

I thought any BBC America productions were done here in the States, so I would figure this would have to be on the behest of the BBC.

As far as Peri goes, I agree. I joked on Gallifrey Base that the most annoying American accents are the bad ones done by British actors ;)

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on November 13, 2011, 06:19:51 PM
I thought any BBC America productions were done here in the States, so I would figure this would have to be on the behest of the BBC.

As far as Peri goes, I agree. I joked on Gallifrey Base that the most annoying American accents are the bad ones done by British actors ;)

I just heard Captain Jack say 'east'rogen (estrogen) in Torchwood's pilot again. =P

Actually, that would be "oestrogen."

Speaking of Torchwood, has everyone seen Miracle Day?  There's somethign really neat in it, but it's a HUGE spoiler if you haven't seen it.

I liked Miracle Day. I disagree with the people who say it moved too slowly, it was fine with me, but I'll agree that it might have been even better condensed to 6 episodes.

For me it seemed like everytime Miracle Day was about to get really interesting things started to fall apart again. Had it been 5 or 6 episodes like Children of Earth it might've worked.