Doctor Who

Started by FSBlueApocalypse, June 20, 2011, 04:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Also, Omega's return would put a new spin on having River as a "weapon" against the Doctor. Omega needs Timelord DNA to once again be apart of the physical universe. River's DNA could be used for that purpose.

Just watched the new episode, all I can say is "WOW!"

Amazing! Just taken from one place to another to another. This is gonna get REALLY interesting.

Dare I say we might finally get a good Cyberman story in Nu-Who? Video contains SPOILERS

[yt]GpzqBC_2FNo[/yt]

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on August 24, 2011, 08:44:56 AM
Also, Omega's return would put a new spin on having River as a "weapon" against the Doctor. Omega needs Timelord DNA to once again be apart of the physical universe. River's DNA could be used for that purpose.

Omega doesn't need DNA per se, he needs what was called a 'bio-data extract' of another Time Lord in order to be able to make a stable transition.  Given some statements made by the Fifth Doctor, River may well qualify, since it is strongly implied that being a Time Lord is defined as having the ability to regenerate, which it APPEARS River has.  (It's difficult to be sure, since it's not actually confirmed that River is the girl in the spacesuit, it merely seems extremely likely.)

Quote from: evensgrey on August 29, 2011, 08:42:33 AM
Omega doesn't need DNA per se, he needs what was called a 'bio-data extract' of another Time Lord in order to be able to make a stable transition.  Given some statements made by the Fifth Doctor, River may well qualify, since it is strongly implied that being a Time Lord is defined as having the ability to regenerate, which it APPEARS River has.  (It's difficult to be sure, since it's not actually confirmed that River is the girl in the spacesuit, it merely seems extremely likely.)

[spoiler=Let's Kill Hitler]Oh, River could DEFINITELY regenerate--just not anymore...[/spoiler]

And another one:

[spoiler=Let's Kill Hitler]Of course, now we have another way--other than a flesh avatar--that someone/thing else could take the form of the Doctor and appear to be killed. If the crew of the Teselecta decided to start changing events rather than just punishing the criminals, then they might have burned a robot in Utah!

Somehow, though, I don't think it was a flesh avatar or the Teselecta. We did see him start to regenerate, after all. I think it really was The Doctor, and Moffat has something else up his sleeve...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]OK, so now that I've seen the episode, it was River in the spacesuit, and she appears to be fully capable as a Time Lord (at least before saving the Doctor from herself).  She does like messing with people's heads, doesn't she?

One oddity, since it's confirmed that it WAS River in the suit, why is she STILL set to kill the Doctor?  She shouldn't have continued to be conditioned for that task UNLESS he wasn't killed for good in Utah.

It also occurs to me that now they're not limited to only 2 more regenerations.  River used all her remaining ones to save him, which could easily be as many as 10, so he could have a few extras now.  She might have had MORE than 10 left, since it's pretty clear that it was the Time Lords themselves who limited it to 12 regenerations.  The Master got a 13th in his original body, and a whole new set and a new body when he was resurrected for the Time War.[/spoiler]

I think the shot of River in the trailer wearing the eyepatch will have something to do with why she was in the spacesuit, if she was in it.

I'm still of the opinion the Doctor we saw on the beach in episode one was a Ganger.

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on August 30, 2011, 10:01:49 AMI'm still of the opinion the Doctor we saw on the beach in episode one was a Ganger.

Gangers can't regenerate, though, or the ganger Doctor would have regenerated instead of melting at the end of The Almost People.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 30, 2011, 12:41:41 PM
Gangers can't regenerate, though, or the ganger Doctor would have regenerated instead of melting at the end of The Almost People.

There is another possibility- The doctor ganger took longer to form than the human gangers (the course of an episode/several days (if I remember correctly) vs several minutes). This could have been a result of the minimum exposure, or the complexity of Time Lord physiology. Not to mention, the whole 'previous lives' thing did seem to give the flesh some trouble (remember where it went through all of the previous ones?). It's possible that a ganger would require more time to fully replicate the ability to regenerate, time which it wasn't allowed in the course of The Almost People.

Or I could just be looking into it too much. At this point, I think the ganger thing would be a bit of a cop out. Moffet's not going to settle for that. Who knows. Maybe the doctor that was killed was actually Omega. :-P

That's what I'm thinking, the flesh at some point should be able to learn to regenerate. Also, remember the line towards the end of "The Almost People" where they said the Tardis stabilized the flesh and made them legit people? Also remember the Doctor still had the Ganger Doctor's shoes on when he left the Tardis, so theoretically there could still be a way to build a Ganger Doctor just for that.

Something else to chew on, apparently Alex Kingston was the voice of the Papal Mainframe from "A Good Man Goes to War"

When did the Papal Mainframe actually speak? I don't remember that part.

Can't find the clip on youtube, but it was when the Headless Monks were leading the Fat One into the chamber, the voice that was saying something like "We require each ally to offer up someone for conversion" was the Papal Mainframe.