The 9/11 Conspiracies

Started by MrBogosity, October 16, 2008, 05:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is more of a placeholder right now...I really want to do this episode, and it's one of the most-requested topics, but I want to take the time to do it right.

Feel free to go ahead and recommend videos on both sides. I figure Loose Change is a good one to use as a basis for debunking. I also have the BBC Horizon episode Fall of the World Trade Center, although it's a low-resolution Google Video version and I'd like to find a DVD-quality version.

I have various AP clips of the event, but I'd like to get clips of Tower 7 from the damaged side (which the conspiracy nuts never show) and some good videos of actual skyscraper implosions for comparison.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 18, 2008, 08:29:40 PM
Have you read Maddox' piece on this topic?

LOL, he used common sense to debunk it. I have to admit it was pretty funny.

Loose Change is really THE 9/11 conspiracy video in my opinion. I have seen it cited numerous times. It has got almost every one of the usual claims (although I do not think WTC 7 was really covered in detail). There is a really great point-by-point debunk of it called Screw Loose Change. You can watch it here (3 hours long):

http://www.lolloosechange.co.nr/

9/11 conspiracies would make a great episode of Bogosity, but it would probably also be the most controversial because not only does it involve an event that killed nearly 3,000 people, but it is also something that a lot of people actually believe.

As long as you do not get into the really riduculous claims. Did you know that some people believe the Mafia pulled the whole thing off?

October 18, 2008, 08:41:12 PM #4 Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:43:29 PM by Tom S. Fox
Also, the US government was not even able to cover up Clinton's blowjob, and now it is suddenly supposed to be able to pull off such a coup?

It's good, except that Glenn Beck was parodying the "truthers." You can see how he really feels about them in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKppff5yQ8

(I'll have to look into a way of embedding YouTube videos here...)

October 18, 2008, 09:03:03 PM #6 Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:24:58 PM by MrBogosity
Okay, if this works, you should be able to embed a YouTube video with the tag:

[yt](string of characters after "watch?v=" in the URL)[/yt]

So, for the above video, this:

[yt]SnKppff5yQ8[/yt]

should result in this:

[yt]SnKppff5yQ8[/yt]

Edit: Yay! It's working!

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 18, 2008, 08:43:03 PM

It's good, except that Glenn Beck was parodying the "truthers." You can see how he really feels about them in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKppff5yQ8

(I'll have to look into a way of embedding YouTube videos here...)

I wonder if just posting the embed code would work. It does on other message boards.

Quote from: BZ987654 on October 18, 2008, 09:10:54 PM

I wonder if just posting the embed code would work. It does on other message boards.

No, it only allows limited HTML (which I haven't even turned on). I'm trying to make a custom tag with a mod. I'll figure it out.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 18, 2008, 09:13:20 PM
Quote from: BZ987654 on October 18, 2008, 09:10:54 PM

No, it only allows limited HTML (which I haven't even turned on). I'm trying to make a custom tag with a mod. I'll figure it out.

Ok, that works, probably best not to turn it on anyway.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 18, 2008, 09:03:03 PM
Okay, if this works, you should be able to embed a YouTube video with the tag:

[yt](string of characters after "watch?v=" in the URL)[/yt]

So, for the above video, this:

[yt]SnKppff5yQ8[/yt]

should result in this:

[yt]SnKppff5yQ8[/yt]

Edit: Yay! It's working!

Awesome, you're the man

hasn't all the videos bashing 9/11 conspiracy lunacy been done to death?
what else needs to be said?  Unless you're coming up with a new video not debunked yet, or a new angle, i think there's other things you could be smashing the bogons out of...

like EXPELLED for instance!  :)

I'm sure you'll do a great job, but if someone already did a 3hr debunking of LOOSE CHANGE, then they were probably pretty thorough!  :)

my .03ยข

Leonard

I've got a surprise coming up regarding Expelled, when I get a chance to finish it all up...

"Lord of the Rings and the Bogon Storms."

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 23, 2008, 01:12:01 PM
I've got a surprise coming up regarding Expelled, when I get a chance to finish it all up...

Hmm, I'm looking forward to that!