Cracked's video game complaints

Started by Travis Retriever, December 23, 2010, 02:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 23, 2010, 02:12:24 PM Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:45:46 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
5 Things The Gaming Industry Will Never Fix (And Why) by David Wong
The 7 Commandments All Video Games Should Obey by David Wong

So how many of the 12 issues listed above would be fixed (or at least made less severe) if the government IP laws were annulled/repealed (patent Laws for the gaming systems and other hardware, software licenses and copyright for the software, and trademarks for the companies themselves)?
And of course, getting rid of corporate person-hood wouldn't hurt either.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

My pet peeve is when they allow computer opponents to cheat rather than programming better AI. Nintendo does this a LOT on the Wii.

In racing games it's called "Comeback A.I."

The 15 Most Annoying Video Game Characters (From Otherwise Great Games) by Tim Lovett

Scroll down to number 2 to see what Cracked had to say about it.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Here's another interesting one:

5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer by David Wong

I showed this to Lord T Hawkeye over AIM a while back and he noted that his points are rather dated. The first item on the list is the best example of this, I'd say.
The second through fourth items seem like cherry picking, while the first one (piracy) made me facepalm.

I believe this exchange between Shane and alexvegas sums up my position on #1 on that list quite well:

alexvegas: "I just lost my job as a digital content manager for an international music distributor. They were forced to make a huge percentage of the workforce redundant due to the losses they were making. Which were mainly (if not solely) down to end users not purchasing the music they listen to. Your opening statement that filesharing doesn't harm profits is just wrong.

I fileshare, but not before I accept the harm it does to the industry, and that it has done to me personally."

Shane: "@alexvegas Gee, that couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that we're in the biggest recession since the Great Depression, could it? Nah, must be those nasty file-sharers..."
Source of the above exchange

So yeah, given that Wong's article is dated May 24, 2010, doesn't help his point very much.

I also asked the question in the first post because a lot of the stuff they were complaining about (poor quality, high prices, lack of incentive, etc) just screams monopoly (read: Government IP Laws).

Tim Lovet is a Bloody Bastard and will burn in hell!

TINGLE IS AWSOME! TINGLE IS AWSOME! TINGLE IS AWSOME!

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on December 23, 2010, 03:31:40 PMI showed this to Lord T Hawkeye over AIM a while back and he noted that his points are rather dated. The first item on the list is the best example of this, I'd say.
The second through fourth items seem like cherry picking, while the first one (piracy) made me facepalm.

Yeah, it's not like it's the gamers' fault that the business model behind it was one of the worst ever!

December 23, 2010, 08:11:07 PM #7 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:18:21 PM by VectorM
Reading a David Wong article requires a minimum of 15 pounds of salt per paragraph.

And he seems to be the gamer version of every group out there that thinks society is going down because of X.

Seriously, I visit the Deus Ex forums a lot, since I am waiting for Deus Ex: Human Revolution to come out, and every single day, the people over there complain about how the modern gaming industry is utterly horrible, how regenerating health in FPS-es is the end of civilization, gaming companies were trying to rip you off whenever they see fit, and it just goes on and on and on.

QuoteMy pet peeve is when they allow computer opponents to cheat rather than programming better AI. Nintendo does this a LOT on the Wii.

Every single game ever does that, seriously. And it's really frustrating when obvious cheating is passed off as superior AI by fanboys. I remember back in the day when I played a game called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.  People kept telling me about how good the AI was in that game. And when I played it, my opponents would try to shoot me trough WALLS, even following me with their bullets as I moved around. It's still the most vivid memory I have from that game...

I think one of them should be, Your fucking graphics engine is not a game.  So many games have been essentially nothing more than tech demos.  Unreal comes to mind, and so does Crysis.  Sure better games were made from Unreal's engine, and the Crytek engine has been put to decent use as well, but don't release a game at all if all you want to do is show off how glitzy light looks shining through your special windows.  Just make a 3d benchmark and let someone with a competent writing staff take over from there.

Quote from: AHPMB on December 23, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
I think one of them should be, Your fucking graphics engine is not a game.  So many games have been essentially nothing more than tech demos.  Unreal comes to mind, and so does Crysis.  Sure better games were made from Unreal's engine, and the Crytek engine has been put to decent use as well, but don't release a game at all if all you want to do is show off how glitzy light looks shining through your special windows.  Just make a 3d benchmark and let someone with a competent writing staff take over from there.

You're not the only who thinks so.
http://www.cracked.com/article_16196_the-7-commandments-all-video-games-should-obey_p7.html
"#1. Better graphics do not equal innovation and/or creativity."