Darwin and Hitler

Started by MrBogosity, October 16, 2008, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think I'll put this one in the next batch (10-12) and do Intelligent Design later on. I don't have a good title yet, but I'd like to dedicate a video to debunking the idea that Darwinism is immoral and led to the Holocaust.

I've been set up now with a copy of Expelled, and I also have this horrendous video made by Coral Ridge Ministries called "Darwin's Deadly Legacy." Plenty of stuff to debunk.

I have the video that Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers made following the release of Expelled.

I know there are some Dawkins videos about the evolution of morality; I think I have some here, but it would take me hours to rewatch them all. If anyone knows where he talks about this, let me know.

I'd also like to make the argument that Darwinism is based on natural selection, and that Hitler used artificial selection against the Jews, so he was really denying Darwinism. If anyone knows of any good videos making that point, let me know.

And again, all videos on both sides of the issue are welcome.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 16, 2008, 05:10:52 PM
I've been set up now with a copy of Expelled, and I also have this horrendous video made by Coral Ridge Ministries called "Darwin's Deadly Legacy." Plenty of stuff to debunk.

I have not seen either of these videos. However, the Dawkins and Myers video I am sure will be good. It's very sad that we even have to discuss the Hilter argument. I guess when stupid people can spread their stupidity this is where we end up.

Will you debunk the claim that Hitler was an atheist?

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 18, 2008, 05:58:11 PM
Will you debunk the claim that Hitler was an atheist?

Yes, Hitler's Christianity will be covered.

I know there are some Dawkins videos about the evolution of morality; I think I have some here, but it would take me hours to rewatch them all. If anyone knows where he talks about this, let me know.

Not familiar with Dawkins vids on morality, but This one I found interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elEYKpo7kFk
and of course, there's this gem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xva_DGmUQo

man, it woulda been GREAT to be born 1880-1950 huh? when we were so ignorant of science and not a care in the world! 

:))

either the QUOTE function on this forum doesn't work the same as on others, or i'm not paying very close attention to what i'm doing! 

:)

which is probably the case!

but at least i've spelled everything correctly!  :))

Quote from: BZ987654 on October 17, 2008, 10:13:48 PM

I have not seen either of these videos. However, the Dawkins and Myers video I am sure will be good. It's very sad that we even have to discuss the Hilter argument. I guess when stupid people can spread their stupidity this is where we end up.

That there is the price of freedom of speech. It's funny how the people who's stupidity benefits from that freedom, try to snuff out this same freedom for people who they oppose.

Quote from: TheBAMman on October 26, 2008, 06:18:48 AM

That there is the price of freedom of speech. It's funny how the people who's stupidity benefits from that freedom, try to snuff out this same freedom for people who they oppose.

Yeah, I agree. I still believe this would be less of a problem if western civilization was subject to natural selection.

This reminds me of a quote I read on Fundies Say the Darndest Things!:
Quote from: My Dreams of 8
Freedom of speech is good, except when it's used to promote retarded liberal ideals and atheism and satanism and anything that goes against Christ! All those should be illegal and punishable by death.

Quote from: BZ987654 on October 26, 2008, 07:33:26 PM
Quote from: TheBAMman on October 26, 2008, 06:18:48 AM

Yeah, I agree. I still believe this would be less of a problem if western civilization was subject to natural selection.

Not a problem if it were all culture.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 26, 2008, 07:39:17 PM
This reminds me of a quote I read on Fundies Say the Darndest Things!:
Quote from: My Dreams of 8
Freedom of speech is good, except when it's used to promote retarded liberal ideals and atheism and satanism and anything that goes against Christ! All those should be illegal and punishable by death.
Unfortunately a lot of people on youtube agree with that, hence why they're only too happy to censor anyone who pwns their fragile beliefs.

Saw this video and I immediately thought of this.

[yt]eyPVF9HB4j4[/yt]

Anyone seen Bill Mahers' 'Religulous' yet? It's pure gold, and a lot of fun to watch :)

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-3791007322683758535&hl=nl

I'm glad to see you're going to tackle ID as well. As far as i can see ID is having everything upside down.. instead of having to fine tune the entire universe in order for us to be able to exist in the form that we do, i think we are actually the RESULT of the universe being as it is. Change the circumstances, and life will also take on different forms.. i think nature clearly shows this.

I received this PM on YouTube; putting it here for archival purposes:

QuoteI came across this website:
http://www.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/burnedbooks/documents.htm

These are the guidelines on banning books in nazi germany, search for darwin (Ctrl F), you will find one of the topics that was forbidden:

[6. Writings of a philosophical and social nature whose content deals with the false scientific enlightenment of primitive Darwinism and Monism (H?ckel).]