Fan Deaths!

Started by IceSage, November 15, 2008, 06:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 15, 2008, 06:56:14 AM Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:58:47 AM by IceSage
I'm slightly joking, but this could be really fun to make fun of.

(There could be a mini-episode about "Silly Bogosity" that doesn't require a huge episode.)

For those who don't know what I'm talking about... It's the completely woo-woo idea that sleeping with a fan on, running all night, can suffocate and kill you.

(And yes, tons of people believe this. To the point in that in certain countries fans come with a "Sleep Timer." Although, the sleep timer could be to conserve energy, but whatever.)

When I read the thread title, I thought you are asking fans of Bogosity to commit mass suicide.

Having lived in a place without central air, I can see the benefit of a sleep timer. You get a fan on you to help you go to sleep, then in the middle of the night you wake up freezing and have to turn it off.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on November 15, 2008, 08:28:38 AM
When I read the thread title, I thought you are asking fans of Bogosity to commit mass suicide.

That was my first thought. I was about to say "I'm not drinking the tang."

November 19, 2008, 01:19:41 AM #4 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:28:00 AM by Atheos5150
XD Are you serious?  I've never heard of such a thing.  I use to live in Montana and ceiling fans where on constantly (no AC).  So much so, that I can't go to sleep without it on anymore.

But that would be a great idea, do a bogosity about 'Wives Tales' and 'Urban Myths'

I've been thinking of one called "Things Mama Told You"...you know, like if you go out in the cold you'll get sick, don't go swimming after eating, etc.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 19, 2008, 07:11:49 AM
I've been thinking of one called "Things Mama Told You"...you know, like if you go out in the cold you'll get sick, don't go swimming after eating, etc.

Ha! I was just about to suggest something similar to that.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 19, 2008, 07:11:49 AM

Lol never heard old wive's tales called that. But I think that would be a good episode, eating the bread crust will make your hair curly or carrots will make you see better at night, etc.

yea
fans don't kill anyone but you won't believe how many south Koreans believe in this myth. I'm from south Korea and my parents believe that fans can kill you. something about creating a vortex and sucking out all the oxygen in the room and another bullshit is that the fan will dehydrate you so much that you will die.
i haven't been to south Korea in a while but apparently they sell fans with all these safety mechanisms to prevent you from dying in your sleep from a fan.
and i have no idea how this myth started.

FANS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!