Global Warming

Started by MrBogosity, October 16, 2008, 05:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This one will almost certainly be in the 10-12 batch. Here are the videos I'm using:

Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth
Channel 4's The Great Global Warming Swindle
Bjorn Lomborg's TED Talk
Richard Mullers lecture at Berkeley (it's EXCELLENT, but the video's such low quality I may only use it as a source)
Patrick Michaels' Global Warming Environmental Concerns

Anyone know of any more? As usual, good videos on both side of the debate are desired.

What is the debate you are trying to get at? The one between whether global warming is real or not or whether it is man-made or some sort of cycle (assuming it is real).

I'm looking into the brouhaha on both sides--the alarmists and the deniers--and how it's getting in the way of public understanding of the real science and finding a good solution.

October 20, 2008, 06:58:33 PM #3 Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:44:48 PM by Tom S. Fox
So ... how bad is it really?

I'm looking forward to it. Potholer54 has made a great video about the scientific debate going on.
[yt]52KLGqDSAjo[/yt]

actually, i think this was just a teaser of things to come. If i'm not mistaken, Potholer plans a pretty in depth video(s) about it.

LH

Quote from: lennyhipp on October 23, 2008, 12:55:21 PM
actually, i think this was just a teaser of things to come. If i'm not mistaken, Potholer plans a pretty in depth video(s) about it.

LH

In-depth is saying a lot...looking ahead, I'm not planning to get in-depth, just cover the basics and debunk the myths, and I'm wondering how that's EVER going to fit into half an hour...

I suggest "Global Heating Swindle Swindle"

October 26, 2008, 12:15:25 AM #8 Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:18:04 AM by Atheos5150
"The 11th Hour, hosted by Leonardo Dicaprio"  http://wip.warnerbros.com/11thhour/

And I'm not talking about the TV show.

Cool, this topic is the subject of a debate I'm doing in my college comp course.
Warning: Student. What I say may set off bogon detectors!

See this for an excellent argument against Global Warming!

Quote from: David J. Stewart
If indeed the earth's glaciers are melting, attempting to stop them from melting by covering them with reflective material wouldn't work. According to Global Warming proponents the earth's temperature is increasing. So what good would it do to cover the glaciers? The sun's rays are not the problem. This just shows the fallacy of Global Warming. One minute they claim that the earth's temperature is rising, and then they set out to protect Greenland's glaciers from the sun's rays. Well, which is it, the sun's rays or the higher temperatures on earth? If, as Global Warming proponents claim, the earth's temperatures are rising, then protecting glaciers from the sun's rays is a complete waste of time and money.

Damn, I think he is onto us!

Here is something you guys might of missed and I hear it a lot from Christian groups, as an argument against Global Warming. 

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/gop_rep_to_environmentalists_j.php#comments

Quote"[Pelosi] is committed to her global warming fanaticism to the point where she has said that she's just trying to save the planet," Bachmann told the right-wing news site OneNewsNow. "We all know that someone did that over 2,000 years ago, they saved the planet -- we didn't need Nancy Pelosi to do that."

That's right...Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, the Christian Right champion from Minnesota says we don't been to save the planet, Jesus already did... 

Makes me worried that these people are in Office.

See, this is the perfect example of the kind of thing I'm talking about:

Alarmist: It's not the sun, it's the greenhouse gases!

Denier: It's not the greenhouse gases, it's the sun!

Actual Scientist: It's both, you morons!

The alarmists and deniers together have set up a false dichotomy, which does not include the actual science.

Quote from: PaperRedemption on January 14, 2009, 10:20:25 AM
Here is something you guys might of missed ...

*Ahem* That is "might have."

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on January 14, 2009, 12:47:11 PM
*Ahem* That is "might have."

Well, irregardless of that fact...  :P