Sleep paralysis and ghosts/alien encounters

Started by Peacock, April 26, 2010, 11:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have been looking on you tube for sleep paralysis videos (i lucid dream), and i have seen that a lot of people say that these events are caused by aliens/ghosts, even when the evidence clearly supports SP.  I've seen one video that it looks like the writer seems that he was cherry-picking, only picking reports that matched the original report close enough.

here's the video in question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMUz8RAjks&feature=related

it might be a good idea to make a bogosity video about this, before everyone is sucked in.

Sorry if i sound rude, it's obviously my first time on here, and i don't really know how things work in here.
i didn't mean to sound rude if i did.

I've experienced it a couple of times before. It's very powerful. I can see how someone ignorant of what's going on could attribute it to ghosts or spirits.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 26, 2010, 11:37:39 AM
I've experienced it a couple of times before. It's very powerful. I can see how someone ignorant of what's going on could attribute it to ghosts or spirits.

Welcome to the forum!

Only a couple of times? Does that mean it's not normal? <.< >.>

It happens to some people more than others. It's generally pretty rare.

It helps when you force yourself to move your fingers or toes, after that it usualy passes quickly for me then.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 26, 2010, 04:46:56 PM
It happens to some people more than others. It's generally pretty rare.

All joking aside, I didn't know it was supposed to be rare until a few years ago. I mean, it happens to me about 3 times every 2 weeks (I think). Sometimes it happens less often than that, but it's still unsettling when it happens. I've never attributed it to aliens, demons, etc, even when I was a kid who still believed in that stuff.

As I said, some people are susceptible to it, but it happens to everyone at least once or twice in their lifetimes.

And now that I think about it, maybe the reason you didn't attribute it to aliens or demons was because it WAS a regular thing for you. But to someone who's never experienced it before, it's very scary, even if you know what it is.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 27, 2010, 10:28:41 AM
As I said, some people are susceptible to it, but it happens to everyone at least once or twice in their lifetimes.

And now that I think about it, maybe the reason you didn't attribute it to aliens or demons was because it WAS a regular thing for you. But to someone who's never experienced it before, it's very scary, even if you know what it is.

Perhaps. I remember watching a special on UFO abductions, where one of their interviewees stated that it was quite likely the 'abductions' were a combination of sleep paralysis and some sort of dreaming state. I didn't actually experience anything like that until I got older. I mean, I usually suffered sleep paralysis when I was fully conscious. It was only recently that I experienced some sort of semi-dreamlike state while being paralyzed. It could have something to do with experiencing sleep paralysis when my eyes are closed or something, but I'm not sure. The weirdest thing I've ever experienced was sleep paralysis when I was sleeping on my stomach with my face turned to the side. I remember feeling this intense fear that I was about to snap my own neck. Ever since then, I've never slept on my stomach.

Possibly relevant video

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LSLjnSkdBsE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LSLjnSkdBsE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

I've experienced sleep paralysis nightmares.  They are incredibly terrifying, and you would absolutely swear they happened if you didn't have an idea of what you'd just experienced.  I had one where I watched a giant nightmare bug/spider thing climb through my window and into my ear.  I had another where I could literally hear creatures pounding on my doors and walls.  You're always paralyzed and usually have a sensation of floating.  I think the real Bogosity of alien abduction stories is the industry of hypno-therapists and so called UFOlogists that manipulate suggestive people into believing their idiot narratives however.  Misinterpreting a waking nightmare is merely an error, exploiting people for money and fame is disgusting.

Quote from: AHPMB on June 14, 2010, 11:02:34 AM
I've experienced sleep paralysis nightmares.  They are incredibly terrifying, and you would absolutely swear they happened if you didn't have an idea of what you'd just experienced.  I had one where I watched a giant nightmare bug/spider thing climb through my window and into my ear.  I had another where I could literally hear creatures pounding on my doors and walls.  You're always paralyzed and usually have a sensation of floating.  I think the real Bogosity of alien abduction stories is the industry of hypno-therapists and so called UFOlogists that manipulate suggestive people into believing their idiot narratives however.  Misinterpreting a waking nightmare is merely an error, exploiting people for money and fame is disgusting.

I don't know if I've had any nightmares while experiencing sleep paralysis. If I had them, I don't remember them. The main thing I remember is the feeling of waking up and being unable to move. In those instances, I start to panic, and just about anything can make it worse. Head being turned to the side, a mild obstruction in front of the mouth, etc. I'll frantically try to move parts of my body, hoping that getting one part to move will 'wake up' the rest of me. There are times where I feel like part of me is about to move, but then I realize that I wasn't moving it. I'll be drifting back and forth between sleep and wakefulness, terrified of falling asleep while this paralysis is affecting me.

Then it passes, and I realize just how crazy those thoughts were, reassure myself that it's a natural part of sleeping, and try to get a few more hours in before my alarm goes off.

I remember watching shows about 'alien abductions' when I was a kid. I wanted really badly to believe that aliens existed, and I would debate the open possibility of extraterrestrial life with some of my acquaintances (I'm loathe to use the word 'friend', as most of the ones I discussed this with were bible-thumping southern baptists who happened to be hanging around some of my friends who were Methodists at the time. One kid would tell me that I was going to hell for watching anime and using the word 'damned', for pete's sake.). It's this strange thing, where you believe out of a desire for such a reality that aliens exist, but the rational side of you knows that the evidence just isn't there. Kinda like being agnostic. =P

Granted, I'd love for us to come across some kind of 'alien wreckage' and have the opportunity to reverse-engineer the technology from it. Maybe we'd be able to find a way to make space travel more pedestrian, like what's seen in Star Wars, where you have ships that don't need launch stages and can be operated with some training in how to do so, like a car. But then again, something like that would require a really powerful energy source that could fit within such a ship, and something like that would probably come with a slew of its own problems.

Oh, well. One can dream, can't they? The problem is trying to supplant reality with one's dreams through wishful thinking. =P

(A little more off-topic, but have you ever wondered why ships in science fiction like Star Trek never turn off the artificial gravity when they're having a power shortage of some kind, like a damaged generator? You'd think that out of all the things that would be a large drain on a ship's generator, artificial gravity would be one of them.)