Gems from the comments of Shane's latest videos

Started by valvatica, March 14, 2010, 07:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 14, 2010, 07:23:34 PM Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:25:41 PM by valvatica
Many to choose from I know, but I'll start with one that isn't related to health care-- just a FAIL analogy:

beechgrovejoe (9 minutes ago)

"A single standard setting organization is always better than more than one.
Or I guess you haven't heard of the benefites of the internet."

Someone doesn't know just WHAT the Internet is! So the implication here is that the Internet is centralized? If that were the case, the entire World Wide Web would be inaccessible every time the "Internet" went down due to a brownout or hardware failure. The Internet is decentralized, jackass. Know what a server is? Know what server software is? Is there some "Internet headquarters" in some U.S. city? How do you fuck up that badly?

I'd post this as a reply but my YouTube account got a strike (I have to stop with my habit of mirroring videos that will put me on thin ice) and consequently I can't access it until March 18. On a side note, I can't begin to list all the people (atheists mainly) I've lost respect for just by their comments in these videos. Now I know why InTheEndIWasRight is so reluctant to associate with most of the YouTube atheists.

Oh, and in case he's wondering, ICANN and the W3 sets standards and oversee domain name registration. They don't really "control" the Internet.
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

Right. They formalized the HTTP protocol and HTML, but they didn't force anyone to use it. People used the web because it was useful, not because of an edict from on high.

I seem to recall some people are a bit worried about domain name registration and the majority of the root DNS servers being in control by one agency or country.  Unfortunately I'm relying off memory, so I could be way off.

Even if that was the case, it could be very quickly duct taped up if it went to poop.

Unless of course you're a government and pass legislation to introduce a mandatory filter to "protect the children."  But then again the decentralised nature of the Internet will let us Australians get around that.

Yeah, that was when Network Solutions had a monopoly. Now you can get them from lots of places, and the prices have gone way down.

Notice that country TLDs still in control by one body are still way expensive (including .tv--so donate so I can keep this site up! Plug, plug...).

I get an impression the guy will just say, "but the government invented the internet: remember ARPANET?"
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Could always shoot back with "Remember the Wright brothers?"?

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on March 14, 2010, 09:20:46 PM
I get an impression the guy will just say, "but the government invented the internet: remember ARPANET?"

Saying that the people who invented ARPANet invented the Internet is like saying the guy who invented the wheelbarrow invented the Segway.

Man, I could REALLY use some more help in the comments. The dogmatists just can't take a reasonable proposal, and are coming out as attack dogs far worse than they've ever done in any of my videos.

@Shane:  I figured, I know, but I just rested up so that I can tackle and knock out homework and studying.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Any comment I try to post on any video seems to not appear for some reason. I don't know why.

March 15, 2010, 05:07:30 PM #10 Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:12:40 PM by valvatica
I applaud you guys for the comment replies anytime but it seems some of these freethinkers will never budge. surhotchaperchlorome said it in another thread: The sacred cow for the conservatives is the military, and the sacred cow for the liberals is health care. These people are trying so hard not to accept that they are wrong or could be wrong that they're in clear denial at this point.

That bamboo4tameshigiri guy was a real hoot. None of his replies had any facts or statements to make, just 100% name-calling. He ran down the list using terms against Shane like black-hearted, laissez-faire, and dogmatic, and even claimed that Shane is "the WORST freethinker". Wow, freethinking differently than the rest of the freethinkers... what a concept.  ::)

It seems every video you guys comment in now, whether yours or theirs, it always devolves to getting into a battle over what an ad hominem is. It's nearly more annoying than Godwin's Law at this point. Some people just drag it to the bitter end.
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

Just remember: "ad hominem recursus." I've used it once already.

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 14, 2010, 10:37:52 PM
Saying that the people who invented ARPANet invented the Internet is like saying the guy who invented the wheelbarrow invented the Segway.

I understand that the Internet is so much different than ARPANet, but what do you mean by this, Shane?
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat.