Voting in a false dichotomy of choices

Started by valvatica, February 25, 2010, 04:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
In ProteanView's latest video I've been making the point about voting for NOBODY vs. NOT VOTING for anybody. Comments section here:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=-o5Z0RLeOYs&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3D-o5Z0RLeOYs

Basically I'm having to argue with people who think my voting for nobody is the same as being apathetic and not making the effort to vote. It's just another symptom of those who think that you HAVE to vote for one of the two clowns (or if there are more than two and they're still all clowns) or it doesn't count. You could argue it is the same effect as not voting, yes. It's an apathetic message to send across in my opinion, and that's why I least make the effort to vote rather than do nothing.

No need to participate in the said comments section, but I'd like to know your thoughts.
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

Quote from: LuminousMonkey on February 25, 2010, 05:55:14 AM
"Don't blame me, i voted for Kronos"

Kodos, to be correct  :)
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

You mean, turning in a blank ballot instead of voting or not voting? I've done that before.

Quote from: valvatica on February 25, 2010, 06:46:38 AM
Kodos, to be correct  :)

Argh, I wasn't sure and resorted to the first quote I found.

We have compulsory voting here in Australia, and basically I will just do an invalid vote because none of the parties are close enough to what I want, so I don't think any should get any help from me.