Author Topic: Organ rejection and pregnancy.  (Read 3068 times)

Gumba Masta

Organ rejection and pregnancy.
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
I don't know if there are any biologists here but I suddenly came up with the question "If a donor organ is rejected by the recipients body's imune system how come the same does'nt happen with an embryo during a pregnancy?"

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Organ rejection and pregnancy.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the placental barrier protects the fetus from the mother's immune system. Contrary to popular belief, they don't share a cardiovascular system.

Virgil0211

• Bogon filter
  • Bogometer: -30
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
I don't know if there are any biologists here but I suddenly came up with the question "If a donor organ is rejected by the recipients body's imune system how come the same does'nt happen with an embryo during a pregnancy?"

Asked my mother, who's been in neonatal care for about 30 years. Text message form, so forgive the format.

"That is one of life's miracles - immune system during pregnancy is somewhat suppressed. There is some suspicion that some habitual aborters r actually having rxn to father/fetus HLA - human leukogenic antigen."

I assume, by habitual aborters, she means people who have had multiple miscarriages. That's sometimes referred to as a spontaneous abortion.

EDIT: Sorry, human leukocyte antigen.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:16:56 PM by Virgil0211 »

Lord T Hawkeye

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -47
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lord+T+Hawkeye
    • View Profile
    • Play Time
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
Immune suppressants are employed to protect the fetus.  I read some scientists were looking into using it as a remedy for athritis (to stop the immune system from attacking your joints)
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

VectorM

• Bogon shield
  • Bogometer: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
God is in to special pleading, that's all.