Interesting thing I've noticed on YouTube...

Started by evensgrey, December 23, 2018, 05:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
My YouTube subscriber feed seems to be mostly Tim Pool, TheQuartering, and Sargon of Akkad these days, and they seem to be mostly about the crazy nonsense coming from the dieing digital media companies and how the silicon valley tech firms are effectively conspiring against nonconformers.  And this is annoying because it's important enough that I need to watch them but I really don't want to have to.  Ah, the wonders of living through a media singularity...

Anyway, the interesting thing I've noticed is these videos are not just monetized, but HEAVILY monetized.  One of Sargon's videos at about 15 minutes had three different internal ads, and an opening and closing ad.  Ten minutes from Tim Pool had opening, closing, and internal ads as well.  This is pretty consistent:  YouTube has gone back to putting ads on 'controversial' creators.

Now, since I'm watching through a TOR connection, I'm getting a pretty random sample of ads (Ad Sense is clearly using the apparent IP to select ads, not the YouTube login info, since my login is specifically set that I'm in Canada, but I'm getting ads in and for various Easter European languages and places and services, like a Croatian tourism ad and various language localizations for Panzer Rush), but the ads are there.  They must be coming in because in those areas, none of the content on these channels is the least bit controversial.

Quote from: evensgrey on December 23, 2018, 05:36:00 AM
My YouTube subscriber feed seems to be mostly Tim Pool, TheQuartering, and Sargon of Akkad these days, and they seem to be mostly about the crazy nonsense coming from the dieing digital media companies and how the silicon valley tech firms are effectively conspiring against nonconformers.  And this is annoying because it's important enough that I need to watch them but I really don't want to have to.  Ah, the wonders of living through a media singularity...

Anyway, the interesting thing I've noticed is these videos are not just monetized, but HEAVILY monetized.  One of Sargon's videos at about 15 minutes had three different internal ads, and an opening and closing ad.  Ten minutes from Tim Pool had opening, closing, and internal ads as well.  This is pretty consistent:  YouTube has gone back to putting ads on 'controversial' creators.

Now, since I'm watching through a TOR connection, I'm getting a pretty random sample of ads (Ad Sense is clearly using the apparent IP to select ads, not the YouTube login info, since my login is specifically set that I'm in Canada, but I'm getting ads in and for various Easter European languages and places and services, like a Croatian tourism ad and various language localizations for Panzer Rush), but the ads are there.  They must be coming in because in those areas, none of the content on these channels is the least bit controversial.

I'm subscribed to a guy named Ahmad Massad: every minute, there's an ad. If what you're saying is correct, the Jordanian government is probably demanding these ads--since that guy really rips into government and society alike.

Then again, this could be him doing it--he needs every penny (OK, Piastre), since he doesn't appear to have steady work (he's an actor by trade, with IIRC eight international films, as well as several local productions).
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Creators are given choices on longer videos: we can have an ad before and an ad after the video, and we can put in time codes for internal ads as long as they're at least 7 minutes apart. I do that with Bogosity so you can be given the break between stories and not have them interrupted.

BUT, we have ZERO control over whether or not the ads actually show, or if they do, how many of them there are and how long they are. And we can tell YouTube to just put ads in there wherever they deem appropriate (good especially for livestreams), but they can do crazy things at times.

December 27, 2018, 02:43:37 AM #3 Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:50:54 AM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: MrBogosity on December 25, 2018, 08:31:21 AM
Creators are given choices on longer videos: we can have an ad before and an ad after the video, and we can put in time codes for internal ads as long as they're at least 7 minutes apart. I do that with Bogosity so you can be given the break between stories and not have them interrupted.

BUT, we have ZERO control over whether or not the ads actually show, or if they do, how many of them there are and how long they are. And we can tell YouTube to just put ads in there wherever they deem appropriate (good especially for livestreams), but they can do crazy things at times.

If so, the mystery deepens:

Massad's videos are rarely longer than 15 minutes, and more typically 10 minutes. Yet he often has anywhere from 7 to 15 ads in these videos--enough to break the flow of the video. I find it strange he'd do that, when one considers how well-structured and thought out his videos are.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox