Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
"If you look at the case, there was overwhelming evidence to support Casey Anthony was guilty." - Nancy Grace

Quote from: D on July 17, 2011, 06:51:06 AM
"Time is running out to raise the debt ceiling. Come August 2nd the country will have no money." - Sara Welch, an anchor for the weekend show of my local news affiliate WTNH.
Time is running out on Sara Welch's brain.  Come August 2nd, it will have no cluons.  See what I did there?

Quote from: D on July 17, 2011, 08:09:47 AM
"If you look at the case, there was overwhelming evidence to support Casey Anthony was guilty." - Nancy Grace
One of the many reasons I don't watch the news.  They have a bogon hazard worse than a creationist video.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on July 17, 2011, 09:23:03 AM
Time is running out on Sara Welch's brain.  Come August 2nd, it will have no cluons.  See what I did there?
One of the many reasons I don't watch the news.  They have a bogon hazard worse than a creationist video.

I know. Trust me. I'm getting so sick and tired of the news, but unfortunately when I'm with my dad, I can't really escape it.

"But we legislate through morality all the time. If we didn't use morals, rape and murder should be legal."

-Dipshit preacher who I'm designing a website when we got into a conversation of what a Libertarian is

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on July 17, 2011, 11:48:28 AM
"But we legislate through morality all the time. If we didn't use morals, rape and murder should be legal."

-Dipshit preacher who I'm designing a website when we got into a conversation of what a Libertarian is

Wow. That claim is so asinine. It gives credence to the idea legality is morality, when more times than not that couldn't be any further from the truth.

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on July 17, 2011, 11:48:28 AM

It's also a fallacy.  So unless we have laws against victimless crimes we can't have laws against rape, murder and theft?  Makes me crave À la carte laws.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

July 18, 2011, 04:16:19 AM #996 Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:22:22 AM by VectorM
I wanted to make a seperate thread about this, but this is probalby some fail quotes from yours trully, so i might as well put it here.

The people I was arguing with are in blue, I am in green.

if they'd just released a demo at this point, they could have avoided the leak entirely. The leaked beta provided a great demo for the game, many new customers were attracted to the game as a result of it. Yes it was a violation of trust, yes it was an asshole thing to do, but in the end they really provoked it by keep it behind closed doors for so long, if you hype things up without actually showing it.. it does lead people to do stupid shit like this. In the end developers should be releasing demos like it used to be, that way we won't have need to leak anything until the retail version is ready.. then the pirates will do as they do anyway, nothing can be done about that because it'll always be a problem. (unless you take away peoples rights..)

He is talking about the leaked preview built of a game called Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a build that I also have on my computer. Now, the problem with this post to me was, that he is engaging in victim blaming, which is something I am really not very fond of. And he continued to do so in his next couple of posts.

Also, my problem with this has nothing to do with copyrights, or the law, or anything, just the mentality of blaming the victim, for something you think is wrong.

And in responce to that, rather emotionally, i said this:

By Mr_Cyberpunk's brilliant logic, women who dress "slutty" are all asking for rape.

Now, i was immediately attacked for giving such an extreme example and i do have to agree,
that i could have went for something else, rather than play this cheap card. But this is one of the
first examples i think off, where this type of thinking just shines as purely stupid and outright evil..

Yes, it is true that any time someone makes the argument that someone brings violation on themselves by doing something they consider provocative and then not putting out, which was Mr. Cyberpunk's argument, it brings unpleasant associations of evil arguments past to mind. But I don't see the benefit in dragging them into the light. It risks trivializing the more serious violation and is more likely to provoke the kind of defensiveness that will make someone reinforce their position than it is to make them seriously reconsider what they are saying. In my opinion at least.

While it is certainly true the much the same argument has been used to claim that rape victims were responsible for being raped, it is also true that comparing not-at-all-rape things to rape has a net effect of making rape seem ... well, less evil. You can't compare software piracy to rape without comparing rape to software piracy, and treating the two as comparable is a very, very bad idea. Ideally you could make the connection without in any way normalizing rape or in anyway implying they were remotely on the same level, but in the real world human minds don't tend to work that way.

This, i had a problem with, since he is basically claiming, that using the word "rape" in a context that doesn't actually have anything to do
with rape, normalizes this evil act and thus, potentially making rape less of a crime and making it a more common occurrence. At least this is
what i get from his posts. Why would he be so up and arms about it, otherwise?

So i asked this:

Can we use murder in conversations not about murder? Can i say "Invisible War KILLED the franchise"? Are you going to tell me how we are normalizing murder

His reply:

Do you really want to get into this? Because I have to say, I don't.

A long discussion of rape culture is not something that I really want to have. I'd also rather not parse the differences between being killed and being raped in any kind of detail. I'd prefer to avoid getting into the difference in how rape and attempted rape victims are treated as opposed to murder and attempted murder victims (or why it is that when someone is a victim of both people seem to default to the worse treatment.)

This is a fucking game thread as far as I know, we shouldn't have to be having this conversation. Why exactly do you feel the need to argue this point? Rape is a pretty narrowly defined term which means that it doesn't apply in the absence of sexual violence anyway. What's the worst that could happen if people stopped using it where it didn't apply? Their language ends up more precise? Oh the motherfracking horror.

This isn't the answer to your question that I should give because it doesn't address the myriad reasons why one shouldn't, for example, use the term rape where you've used the term "killed". It doesn't address the moral concerns, but since those moral concerns are built on a foundation of unnecessary undeserved suffering it makes my stomach turn to think of them, so I'd rather not go there. So today you get the cheap answer, the easy out as it were:

To say that a franchise was killed is a fairly straightforward almost literal statement. It was alive, then it was dead, something did that to it, the word for the verb for that is to kill.

To say that a franchise was raped is not the same. It doesn't apply. It can't apply. The meaning of the word rape doesn't allow it to apply.

Even if all else were equal, and it isn't, the use of rape would still be inappropriate where the use of the word kill is not.

-

If you really want to get into depth about why I'm saying that it is genuinely harmful to use the term rape in a situation like this I'll see if I can look up one of the many things other people have written on the topic. That should have two benefits. The first is that it would mean that the bulk of the writing would be off-site (all that would be needed here would be a link) which means this wouldn't be derailing the conversation here anymore. Second it would save me the trouble of writing more on a topic that I find quite literally sickening.

Now, as I've said, the colors represent them in blue and me in green, they don't point out the fail quotes. I would like you guys to tell me if i
am the guy on the wrong side here, because i just don't get it.

I believe, that the problem with rape is actual rapists and not people who use the word the wrong way. I just don't get this mentality, that merely using the word "rape" casually, can lead to any sort of harm. And when i say harm, i mean to actually contribute to an increase of rape crimes and the abuse of women and men, not just being insensitive to actual rape victims.

Every single post made by FSAthe1st in the comment section of this video:  [yt]uJQr3wHWnC8[/yt]

July 18, 2011, 03:52:23 PM #998 Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:17:41 PM by Virgil0211
Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on July 18, 2011, 03:35:20 PM
Every single post made by FSAthe1st in the comment section of this video:  [yt]uJQr3wHWnC8[/yt]

Agreed. I just don't understand his motivation here. I mean, he's arguing for the sake of proving himself correct rather than trying to learn something. It's the anti-socratic method.

EDIT: He seems like he might be reconsidering his attitude thus far, so I'm going to withhold judgement for now.

July 18, 2011, 08:03:07 PM #999 Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:08:23 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Every single comment by bobmuffins posted on this video:  [yt]pvEC71m7j4g[/yt]  And his comments on Shane's videos on fixing healthcare, and what is money.

Nancy Grace really is a smug and arrogant prick.

[yt]eEWPkLJjEOk[/yt]

She really just made herself the self-appointed crusader for Caylee--as well as prosecutor, judge, and jury.

I don't think it's any coincidence she used to be a prosecutor. She took to this case just like a prosecutor: automatically assume guilt, cling to it like a religion, and come up with every excuse to support it even though the evidence for it is severely lacking.

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 18, 2011, 08:43:09 PM
She really just made herself the self-appointed crusader for Caylee--as well as prosecutor, judge, and jury.

I don't think it's any coincidence she used to be a prosecutor. She took to this case just like a prosecutor: automatically assume guilt, cling to it like a religion, and come up with every excuse to support it even though the evidence for it is severely lacking.

She also brought up her fiance being killed. I think she tries to cling that emotion to every single case and automatically assumes the worst.

July 19, 2011, 07:53:35 AM #1003 Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:26:03 PM by D
On my local news affiliate's Facebook page, there is a topic on the debt ceiling, and this little gem of fail happened to show up.

Quotetaxes arent even enup 2 pay for state and gov workers how wud it help the national debt? how about EVERY! makes the same amount!! every1s job is hard. even the cashier at stop and shop. so we shud all including gov and state wrkers make the same. and if we want to pay debt then they shud raise taxes alittle. cant always get what u want. my household makes less than 35,000. ive learned 2 live with out ipads and magizine subscriptions. get rid of crap u dont need and u will have sum money. and the country shud have a maximum wage!!

Thanks for the lobotomy, D.