Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Big fail: https://www.facebook.com/djgrothe/posts/107832615963797

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't the president of the JREF!

You might have to be on DJ Groethe's friends list to see this, but he posted this: http://www.businessinsider.com/ ("The Five States Where Teachers Unions Are Illegal Have The Lowest Test Scores In America") as if it were absolute proof that teachers unions were vital, when in reality it's just a correlation/causation fallacy.

The dogmatists came back with "it does not mean that it is to be ignored" and "sometimes correlation does in fact imply causation" (direct quotes) and other crap like that, until I and others posted data showing that they cherry-picked their data and there isn't even a correlation between whether teachers unions are allowed and school performance.

And this bit from the last comment as of this posting:  "The reasons for the correlation should be pretty clear: unions fight for education funding, smaller class size, and better treatment of teachers, who might otherwise be attracted to better paying jobs in the private sector."-- Professor Smartass on that business website article.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Would it have helped if we had found a way to make James Randi immortal?

There's still time. He's not dead yet. Know anywhere we can upload his brain?

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 04, 2011, 11:06:18 AMThere's still time. He's not dead yet. Know anywhere we can upload his brain?

Inside of my body?
My computer doesn't have enough memory or CPU power for his brain.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Would be nice if he uses those 1000 000 challenge dollars to freeze his brain, so he could politely kick Groethe's ass when he comes back looking like commander Data, but with an awesome augmented beard. Actually, he should punch him with his beard instead.

Quote from: VectorM on March 04, 2011, 11:29:27 AM
Would be nice if he uses those 1000 000 challenge dollars to freeze his brain, so he could politely kick Groethe's ass when he comes back looking like commander Data, but with an awesome augmented beard. Actually, he should punch him with his beard instead.

Huh... James Randi's brain with Brent Spiner's appearance and voice, and an android. Singularity of awesomeness, or scream-yourself-awake nightmare?

Dear god. What would happen if someone did the same to Sylvia Browne or Uri Geller, effectively giving us the 'Lore' counterpart to the above?

March 04, 2011, 12:39:13 PM #727 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:41:49 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
OK, back on topic.

[yt]hJneSSGLnSI[/yt]
Reagan for small government/slashing domestic spending?  Is he for real?

I really need to find the time to do that video about the Republican presidents.

March 04, 2011, 05:06:03 PM #729 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:10:22 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on March 04, 2011, 01:40:14 PMI really need to find the time to do that video about the Republican presidents.
Indeed.

As for the video I posted above, note the preview screen-shot.  He's got those figures wrong.  Accroding to the BEA, BLS, etc (from my econ text),
Gov't spending as a % of GDP
In 1981:  20.058%
In 1989:  20.040%

Hardly a difference to brag about!  And even if he wasn't wrong about those figures, that government grows at the same rate as the rest of the economy != slashing spending.  It means more spending.
Finally, most of the so-called 'growth' during the Reagan years was because of the bubble (deficits cause inflation, when they don't cause stagnation)!

March 04, 2011, 08:51:04 PM #730 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:04:39 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
From this idiot: http://marauderosu.livejournal.com/560958.html

"A: Kenya, Botswana, and Somalia
(opens envelope and pulls out question)
Q: Name two African nations and a libertarian's paradise." -- MarauderOSU

And the LJ's only reply to a lesser extent:
"No true libertarian considers any of those nations a 'paradise'. I believe you have us confused with an Anarchist. Don't feel too bad though, it's a common mistake among liberals.

Without law there can be no freedom. --Greek Philosophy" --d_l_leonine

Because the Somalia thing HASN'T been debunked countless times by Ryan Faulk (Fringeelements) and Stefan Molyneux...
Also, I've yet to meet a single anarchist of ANY variety or flavor who is against laws.  We are just against a MONOPOLY on law funded through involuntary means.

Every post by bmwm3cs here: http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=Ubmjc83yAtI

Note how, once again, the state-worshipers use the EXACT SAME TACTICS as the creationists. And they wonder why we call it the Cult of the Omnipotent State!

This is the kind of fail quote that really annoys me: http://cell-phones.toptenreviews.com/smartphones/htc/htc-evo-4g-review.html

QuoteRunning on the 1GHz Snapdragon processor and using Android 2.1, the EVO is similar to the Droid Incredible's processing features. However, only 1GB of internal memory is stored on the phone, making it a poor comparison to the Incredible's 8GB. But similar to other HTC phones, there is provided a microSD card slot that will support up to 32GB of additional storage.

Wait...when you say "1GB of internal memory," do you actually mean memory, or do you mean internal storage? Memory deals with how many apps you can run and what you can put in them at one time. Storage is, well, what you store. The reviewer said "additional storage" implying that he was really talking about 1GB of internal storage.

Idiot.

And speaking of State Cultists,

"@Guncriminal

correct me if im wrong, you reject both ideas, the venus project and the current system.

but you do not offer any other systems or other solutions? I believe everyone is aware of that

the vp is not perfect, but it's just much better then the system we have today. The world does not need

people who only live to complain. My point is that we don't need your opinion on how bad things are,

unless you can offer a better way. So start working on a better way and then express yourself" --afrodinho, on this video

Ya' gotta love Venus Project nutbars.

Related to the video that surhot just posted over in Fav Quotes by ProfMTH (God appointed Hitler?), I'd like to submit the first half of Romans 13 as a fail quote:

"1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." --New International Version