Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteThe internet was built and created around open standards. This didn't happen by accident - but was the result of regulation in the first place. Net Neutrality keeps those standards - so for example a broadband company cannot restrict your bandwidth to only corporate websites.

From the comments:
[yt]oTshrURtcjU[/yt]

Is there some truth in this?

And from the comments of that same video:

"We're screwed either way. Left to their own devices, ISPs will eventually find some reason to restrict or limit access to certain sites. Even if the FCC's initial net neutrality legislation doesn't include a means to impose censorship, granting them any regulatory powers will eventually reduce the internet to what broadcast media has become.

Any binary choice between government and corporation always results in the loss of the average person to the profit of special interests."--Highest rated comment as of this posting.

Yeah, yet another ignoramus who doesn't understand what a corporation, definitionally, is.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Am I the only one who remembers when AOL had the lion's share of internet users? They tried restricting content and it didn't work!

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 20, 2010, 05:12:44 PMAm I the only one who remembers when AOL had the lion's share of internet users? They tried restricting content and it didn't work!

It seems you are the only one who remembers this.
Reminds me of the people who think Rockefeller hurt the market with predatory pricing.
When in reality, he tried to do this, and failed.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]eeLLNxAxK_Q[/yt]

[yt]joanVUoXY0s[/yt]

[yt]gJ69X1qt4sQ[/yt]

(To the Tune of ICP's, "Miracles"):
FUCKING PROPAGANDA, HOW DOES THAT WORK?
FUCKING FALSE DICHOTOMIES AFTER IT RAINS THERE'S ENOUGH STUPIDITY HERE TO BLOW YOUR BRAINS!

"Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."--Winston Churchill

December 27, 2010, 02:28:36 PM #592 Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:18:32 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Groan...Another wordsmithing asshole:

ShootMyMonkey: "Your exact words were that I supported a monopolistic gov't and to say after the fact that you only meant to say that all gov'ts are monopolistic is weak rationalization at best.

"Something that free marketeers take into account better."

By saying that it will fix itself given time. That's not really taking it into account at all.

"Why do people in the gov't get a free pass from doing this wrong?"

Nobody says they do. Just that that alone doesn't intrinsically make gov't an evil thing"

ShootMyMonkey: ""Irrelevant."

Only because you feel that it's far more correct to assume what someone else supports is what you think it is.

You also seem to choose wordings which equate freedom with anarchy.

Now, obviously, the ideal role of government in economics would be to mitigate the costs of damning effects and influences (e.g. antitrust laws), though history has destroyed that possibility.To take that as proof that the opposite extreme that no gov't is infinitely superior is stupid at best."

From the comments of this video:  [yt]Ff1picZAWc0[/yt]

If he honestly thinks that gov't is NOT a monopoly, he's deluding himself.

December 29, 2010, 09:16:47 PM #593 Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:21:41 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
[yt]_YBAWzCnsjE[/yt]

A decent video for the first minute and a half.
Then around 1:35 he makes a nolan-ish chart for theism, atheism, agnosticism, etc, and it all goes downhill from there.

December 30, 2010, 10:20:09 PM #594 Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:35:30 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on December 09, 2010, 12:58:39 PMYeah, and you can't be good without God, either.

Yeah, gotta love these democracy worshipers huh?
He keeps saying that, "Democracy and dictatorship are mutually exclusive! Check the Wikipedia entry!"
So how much do you want to bet he:
a. Hasn't read it and/or
b. Doesn't understand it.
And even barring that, if he wants me to read it instead of using that as a distraction, he needs to tell me the part of it I need to read, exactly. I'm NOT wading through a several page article just to find that.
Also, if he thinks democracy is the only way to defend our rights and any other way leads to tyranny, he desperately needs to study history...

I also posted a bit about Hitler being elected through democratic elections.
It will be fun watching him try to weasel out of that, or, God forbid, try to defend that.
As I also said to him (not a fail quote), "Your God, Democracy, is a failure. Accept it and move on."

I also sent him a link to one of Stefan's videos on the subject.

December 31, 2010, 01:32:12 AM #595 Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:04:06 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
*EDIT*  The crap Shane had to put up with from Global Warming Alarmists from the following video's comment section are the fail quotes *NOT* the video itself.

[yt]YWFbjBwEGfM[/yt]
Shane's debate with alarmists in the comment section about three years ago was also pretty sweet too.

You should see some of the conversations on his Facebook page. I actually enjoy it when he and David Gorski go at each other...

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 31, 2010, 07:56:34 AM
You should see some of the conversations on his Facebook page. I actually enjoy it when he and David Gorski go at each other...

I actually meant to post Tim's video in Fav Quotes, hence why I just had to edit my above post a bit.  My bad.  It was really really late.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on December 30, 2010, 10:20:09 PM
Yeah, gotta love these democracy worshipers huh?
He keeps saying that, "Democracy and dictatorship are mutually exclusive! Check the Wikipedia entry!"
So how much do you want to bet he:
a. Hasn't read it and/or
b. Doesn't understand it.
And even barring that, if he wants me to read it instead of using that as a distraction, he needs to tell me the part of it I need to read, exactly. I'm NOT wading through a several page article just to find that.
Also, if he thinks democracy is the only way to defend our rights and any other way leads to tyranny, he desperately needs to study history...

I also posted a bit about Hitler being elected through democratic elections.
It will be fun watching him try to weasel out of that, or, God forbid, try to defend that.
As I also said to him (not a fail quote), "Your God, Democracy, is a failure. Accept it and move on."

I also sent him a link to one of Stefan's videos on the subject.

And I responded to his points about democracy being the "well of the people" with "So is gang rape."

And I get this pile of shit:

"How do you want to avoid this? Do you want to prohibit private military firms?

Democracy is gang rape? Are you stupid? Where in democratic the world is raping allowed? Stupid!

There was no problem in the election of Hitler, the problem was, that he ended democracy, the system you hate so much. Oh, you and Hitler both hate democracy? Are you a facist?"

Gotta love this guy. ^_^

I ask him to prove that a stateless society has no law and is chaos, etc.  He uses Somalia *facepalms*
So I give him this:
"You imbecile. Somalia DOES have a government. and it's very repressive. Just try setting up a land line phone there and see just how "without" a government they are. For your benefit: /watch?v=qtGkTRnocZI /watch?v=OBuPECU0_P0 /watch?v=Qk0tlZ2hZiY /watch?v=KDb9pTmSWq4 You fail. And while I'm at it: /watch?v=m-LJ3wZjD4I /watch?v=aBm6U3yzLzI "

And how does he respond to my sources and points?
With this:
"Somalia has NO government, the government rules over 2 blocks of the capital. In fact, no government that rules over the country = libertarianism."

To which I responded with:  "Yes, and repeating your lie doesn't make it true.

Sorry. :P"

Here's the video where this is taking place:  [yt]pSwMEtuL-GQ[/yt]

His username on youtube is B190489 just so you know. :)

And I link the guy to some videos, and I get this stupid:  "I don't care about the video. Where are YOUR arguments???"
How often have we heard that?