Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Am I the only Science major on YouTube who doesn't think the State should manage the "little people"?  This is why we have phrases like "egotistical fathead".  My intellect, knowledge and experience does not give me the right to declare everybody else too stupid and too dumb to manage there own lives.  For all we know, people are stupid and dumb because they are taken care of too much as it is!  Nobody gets to feel the sting of their own dumb decisions anymore.  Yet we all feel the sting when the government makes a dumb decision without our consent.

November 13, 2010, 12:50:27 AM #481 Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:05:18 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: Ex_Nihil0 on November 13, 2010, 12:30:26 AMAm I the only Science major on YouTube who doesn't think the State should manage the "little people"?
If it makes you feel any better, I'm an Engineering major who doesn't think the state should manage the "little people".
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Ex_Nihil0 on November 13, 2010, 12:30:26 AMMy intellect, knowledge and experience does not give me the right to declare everybody else too stupid and too dumb to manage there own lives.

This was actually one of the reasons used to justify slavery and segregation: that blacks just aren't smart enough to run their own lives.

November 13, 2010, 08:00:58 PM #484 Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:25:18 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: Ex_Nihil0 on November 12, 2010, 09:05:16 PM
I can't believe C0nC0rdance would be this stupid.  Maintaining the status quo is equal to the claim that the status quo is what is best.  In other words, C0nC0rdance claims that the status quo does not need to be justified by evidence.  How the fuck is this a fundamental of critical thinking?  Oh GOD, the stupid, it BURNS!!!!

Where he misses the boat is thinking that the status quo is the same as inaction.  Inaction of government would be LIBERTY, not the status quo.  The status quo is just the present condition of the state and its policies, what ever they may be. To say that the status quo is the NULL is to say that opportunity costs don't matter when fundamental critical thinking should tell everybody that they do.  See, this is the problem with statists, they have no concept of opportunity costs!  As C0nc0rdance admits, the NULL of an action is inaction, but this should then translate to mean that the NULL of government action is government inaction, not government doing the same damn thing it has done before.

How could somebody as smart as C0nc0rdance bet this stupid?
(NOT a fail quote. Emphasis added by me)

If memory serves, opportunity costs (in economics as I learned it) was:  If you have x, you can't have y
And vice versa.
So is there another definition to it?
Either way, how does this relate to the status quo and inaction in the way you put it?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

There is an opportunity cost because resources spent on particular government actions.  In other words, the money we have been spending and continue to spend on X (Continued Government Action) could be used to spent on Y.  Y would be anything from some other government project to something you spend the money on because your tax burden was lessened by the government not spending money on X anymore.

Does that explain it?

November 14, 2010, 11:21:42 AM #486 Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:38:32 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: Ex_Nihil0 on November 14, 2010, 03:42:36 AM
There is an opportunity cost because resources spent on particular government actions.  In other words, the money we have been spending and continue to spend on X (Continued Government Action) could be used to spent on Y.  Y would be anything from some other government project to something you spend the money on because your tax burden was lessened by the government not spending money on X anymore.

Does that explain it?
I think I've got it.
Basically, they don't understand what me and Shane call the Broken Window Fallacy.
And yes, it's something that pretty much every single person working in a school (college, K-12, etc) that I've interacted with in real life can't seem to get.
The collapse of the state / end of the dollar is going to hit them like shovel.

November 17, 2010, 01:57:51 PM #487 Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:58:26 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"liberals are selfless, libertarians are fucking selfish" - eugeneonegin09

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on November 17, 2010, 01:57:51 PM
"liberals are selfless, libertarians are fucking selfish" - eugeneonegin09

I loved my response to the guy.

"The recession is over." --Ben Bernanke on the current crisis, stated at least a year ago.

Check out the "DUMBASS HALL OF FAME" on RaymondDundas's channel: http://www.youtube.com/RaymondDundas
Lots of good fail quotes there.

I had this little run in with some idiot/troll who thinks he's being cute in the comments to this video:
[yt]70lkobYY0Hc[/yt]

In red are the fail quotes.

Me:  "Solution: Abolish Government."

mrpotatohead34:  "aka democrats :3"

Me:  "And republicans.
Abolish ALL government. :3"

mrpotatohead34: "and hire hungry gorrilla?"

[yt]X_cdm-fnTQU[/yt]

I hate to say this to you but... hungry gorilla has my vote... do you want to make something of it?

Quote from: Gumba Masta on November 20, 2010, 06:34:29 PMI hate to say this to you but... hungry gorilla has my vote... do you want to make something of it?

You don't scare me. :P