Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The ones I saw were just examples of the government breaking people's legs, giving them a crutch, and telling them, "See? Without us, you couldn't walk."
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

November 03, 2010, 10:44:27 PM #451 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:47:13 AM by VectorM
I was arguing for hours in this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=114548 with a user called
Rindill the Red, who is this totalitarian technophile (or whatever you would call a guy who belives in the PC GOD), who believes that we should have a one world government ruled by an AI that works on nothing but logic. He has all sorts of crazy things to say, but at the end was the worst (for me at least):

Him: Just because we don't NEED a one world government doesn't mean we won't be better off WITH one.

Me: That's pretty much the same as: "There is no evidence for a God, but that doesn't mean there isn't one!"

Him: If killing me was truly the most logical way to provide for the well-being of every human being on the planet (including me)... then yes, I would still try to stay alive... but that's because I'm human and flawed.

Me: OK, this is it for me. This guy is a religious fanatic. This last quote says it all.
If God (his ULTRA MEGA SUPER AI) said that his death would make it better for everyone else, it would be OK, for he is just a flawed mortal and God (HAL 9001) is perfect and all knowing.

Just out of curiosity... why do you have that sort of discussions on the Eidos forum?

"Treatments should be determined by scientists and not by voters." --Gil Kerlikowske (Obama's drug czar) on Prop 19 (California's marijuana legalization referendum)

Yes, but they're not letting the scientists do that, either!

Quote from: Gumba Masta on November 04, 2010, 10:16:58 AM
Just out of curiosity... why do you have that sort of discussions on the Eidos forum?

Because the moderators didn't close the thread  :P

November 05, 2010, 07:33:13 PM #455 Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:54:30 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me...
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

This one will need a bit of setting up for the impact.
I made the following comment on this video by Jacob Spinney:
[yt]qTgJNWs-gWA[/yt]
Me:  "'Capitalists Do Not Exploit Workers'
Unless they are in bed with the state. In which case they are corporatists, not capitalists."

To which billburns2 responded with:
QuoteAh, the old capitalist / corporatist bullshit.
Another version of the "no true scotsman" fallacy.

From the comments on this fun article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18840_5-common-medical-procedures-that-secretly-arent-worth-it.html

[about circumsision]
QuoteHa Kitsuke, your comment was the only one that made sense. It's more about a child being happy with their life (all parts of it, including sex) in the future. If a kid was born with a disfigurement that would not affect their health but would possibly make others tease them, would you be totally against getting them help to make their life easier? Mysto, I don't have a penis, therefore don't have foreskin. I find it interesting that people are so up in arms about this issue. I have been with a guy with a foreskin before, and I physically was not as excited by his penis as I am by a circ*mcised penis. It is simply a matter of taste. Perhaps there are men who lose pleasure from this procedure, but I have never before heard of such an issue so I have to assume it is the exception and not the rule. Lastly, an uncirc*mcised penis does have health risks attached to it. So let's just say both choices are a risk and in my opinion, circ*mcisions benefits outweigh non circ*mcision.

Lot's of dumb cows in those comments.

Why did she keep censoring the word "circumcised"? (And interesting that she DIDN'T censor the word "foreskin.")

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 03, 2010, 09:29:38 AM
Pretty much everything I've seen on this site so far is a Fail Quote, being presented as successes when in reality they're either useless posturing or more of what's created this mess to begin with: http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

A nice (and MUCH more accurate) response to this site: http://whatinthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

That should also go in fav quotes, Shane. :P

Quote from: VectorM on November 09, 2010, 07:39:22 PM
From the comments on this fun article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18840_5-common-medical-procedures-that-secretly-arent-worth-it.html

[about circumsision]

Lot's of dumb cows in those comments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/freedom0speech would have it out with her...

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 09, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Why did she keep censoring the word "circumcised"? (And interesting that she DIDN'T censor the word "foreskin.")

It's not her, all of the comments have that censored. It's automatic.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on November 09, 2010, 08:43:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/freedom0speech would have it out with her...

I'm truly shocked that Penn and Teller never brought this up.  So why was the female version banned but not the male version?  Cause everyone knows it's not sexual abuse when you do it to boys?  Bloody pigs...
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on November 10, 2010, 01:00:34 PM
I'm truly shocked that Penn and Teller never brought this up.  So why was the female version banned but not the male version?  Cause everyone knows it's not sexual abuse when you do it to boys?  Bloody pigs...
The ironic thing?
At least one person defending this inequality is a feminist.
The dude's videos go into it, last time I checked.