Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
There's just no end to it.  When someone called me fanatical and I demanded examples backing this up, he refused to give specifics so I called him cravenly hiding behind vague statements as usual to avoid being called out.  This was the response...

QuoteNo. You see, I learned from the best. That is to say, you. Once upon a time, I would have, and I still would, for just about anyone else. But you continually ask for things you are unwilling to give. In almost every argument I have seen you get into, you have been asked for specifics, for examples, to stop making generalizations and to present evidence. You might say that you do, indeed, do so. In the occasional circumstance, you have, nevertheless this has almost universally been in significantly less quality and quantity than anyone who has attempted to engage you in a serious debate. When you have been called to task you have typically just completely ignored that section of the post. Completely. I find this, personally, to be one of the few things worse than, uh 'cravenly hiding behind vague statements to avoid being called out'.

so, I am very deliberately not going to answer your questions. For a long time I was quite happy to spend hours researching and typing out essays more concise that most of my university materiel, just for your benefit. For much of that time I was happy to take certain of your axioms on trust, against all good practice, out of respect. I've even been willing to overlook your continued attacks on me, despite your touchiness about the same thing in reverse. However, it has become singularly evident that you do not share this respect, for me or apparently for anyone in this community, unless they happen to bow down to your holy writ world order. That, for me, is the essence of fanaticism, and why I accuse you of it. If you have something to say, I will still listen. But I will not answer to anything you ask me to do or, more accurately if we examine your parsing, demand of me, because you are seemingly incapable of reciprocation. As with most of my comments to you of late, I will say take that as you will. I will not enter into a debate of any kind with you, because I don't see there being any point. I've heard your arguments, decided they are fallacious. You have failed to present any new ones, and you will not give any kind of rebuttal any consideration other than perhaps not being so ridiculous in your examples and supporting arguments next time you state your point of view. Why should I, then, give you anything but the moments it takes to check that there's nothing new in your latest post?

You have, in more ways than can be counted, failed the social contract that exists in any community, or at least this is my opinion, and the reason for which I will not answer your demands. I would also ask that, if you have issue with this, and absolutely must take me to task for it, you either start a thread specifically for it, or you PM me, the latter preferably. the news thread really isn't the place for this.

This is one those big time college types, or so he claims, and yet unless I'm reading this wrong, has no understanding of how the claimant owes evidence, not the skeptic.  -_-
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Man, that is just about the biggest shifting burden fallacy I've ever seen in my life!

That's pretty much what I said.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"The British[banking]Empire used the Germany-Poland border dispute as an excuse to initiate war on Germany" - A Nazi while claiming the world would be better off if America had allied with the Nazis. Apparently invading an entire country with the help of allies now only counts as a "border dispute".

I wonder if the Border Dispute in Afghanistan will end anytime soon.

"you do have a choice! the little guy has a lot of power. free yourself from archons and others will follow!" --freedominsomalia
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

And it's a false analogy anyway. Grocery stores sell a real product, insurance isn't a real product.
Insurance companies sell a promise and buy a risk- but they don't have to keep that promise, and that's how they make money (by denying legit claims).

But back to the main point- you're factually wrong, nobody is allowed to do anything like that but insurance companies, who don't sell any real product anyway
- Funincluded on youtube

I replied to this by saying "Then why would anyone in their right mind buy it?"

Taking bets on which bogus answer I get to that question.
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on February 28, 2010, 02:03:28 AM
Taking bets on which bogus answer I get to that question.

I bet Twenty Zero-G Jelly Beans on my favorite. "Go back to Russia!"

Nah, I got this

QuoteMost people get their insurance from their employers, it's not just something they have a free market choice in.

Employers might get the cheapest or the best, but it's not just an open free market decision all of the time.

yes people will look for the jobs with the best benefits, but that is neither here nor there

Maybe it's due to late hours but I have no idea what he just said...
The more you know...

"The good news is that Sarah Palin came only third in a straw poll of right-wing conservatives asking who should be next president of the USA.

The bad news is that the winner Ron Paul, a Republican congressman, may be even pottier than Palin." - Tom Shields; commentator for the Scottish Sunday Herald's opinion section.

On that note; Palin needs to fall into a coma for the next seven years.

That actually could increase her chance of being elected president.

"SOCIAL HEALTHCARE WORKS. That's not a theory, it's a real world fact. Like everything in life there will always be detractors and I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but the benefits are that it's cheap, it's fair and it reduces the cost of alternatives."

So...social healthcare works as an undeniable fact...but it's not perfect?  It must be nice living in a world where that pesky logic thing doesn't get in your way.
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on March 02, 2010, 11:32:50 PM
"SOCIAL HEALTHCARE WORKS. That's not a theory, it's a real world fact. Like everything in life there will always be detractors and I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but the benefits are that it's cheap, it's fair and it reduces the cost of alternatives."

So...social healthcare works as an undeniable fact...but it's not perfect?  It must be nice living in a world where that pesky logic thing doesn't get in your way.

LTH, I have to ask, how the hell do you put up with posting in that politics section?

This was on my own youtube vid on the subject.

But as to your original question, I suppose I put up with it because I understand it I guess.  I used to be one of them.  Thought capitalism was evil and the angels up in government were the fearless heroes battling them, the whole nine yards.

Not that I can convince them of that.  I've told them countless times that they employ arguments I used to use liberally but they never believe me.  What would I know about me?  I'm only me after all.  -_-

I can't really say I pity them since they voluntarily have chosen ignorance.  I think the big reason I do is because while I hold little hope of changing most of the woos out there, I can always hope someone with a little more self respect does look at my statements and actually think about them.  I figure if even one person can be made to see the truth, then it's worth it.
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on March 02, 2010, 11:32:50 PM

We know what that is now: the Best Game In Town Fallacy.

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 03, 2010, 06:42:34 AM
We know what that is now: the Best Game In Town Fallacy.

Hmm?  I don't get it though I haven't had my tea yet so that may be why.
The more you know...