Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
[yt]lnS-xJCG6i4[/yt]
Damnit, Swann.
You become The Dark One.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Why do you sound so disappointed ? Is this guy supposed to be smarter than that ?

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on October 31, 2015, 06:29:23 AM
Why do you sound so disappointed ? Is this guy supposed to be smarter than that ?

Usually he is.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 31, 2015, 06:56:25 AM
Usually he is.
Damn, I was hoping someone got that reference.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

So, had a pointless little twitter conversation with a min wage supporter.

Convo starts here: https://twitter.com/CatlinNya/status/664263509044281346

Brings up this chart to support his claims:

@micahcwes The slow descents are just accounting for the gradual loss of money power due to inflationary periods.

@Altimadark Periods, plural? Chart has every sharp MW rise followed by immediate gradual decrease.

Yeah. After each small peak it falls due to inflation. However you can see employees were paid more in adjusted USD decades ago.

You're saying that raising the MW always causes an inflationary period. Also, 1950 & 2013 Adj MW are basically equal.

It really says something when they all but admit that the problem they're trying to solve is being caused by their proposed solution.
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

This popped up on my regular LinkedIn email:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/education-adequate-defense-against-rise-robots-martin-ford

QuoteDelving further into the numbers, however, uncovers a discomfiting reality. That educational wage premium is being driven not by the fact that college graduates are inundated with opportunity—but rather because prospects for those with only high school educations are in collapse. A 2012 analysis by Citi Research found that incomes for young workers with bachelor's degrees declined by a full 15 percent between 2000 and 2010, and that decline began well before the 2008 financial crisis. Any recent graduate can tell you that we have entered the age of the degree-bearing barista: as many as half of new college graduates end up taking jobs that don't utilize their education.

They manage to completely miss the fact that most of the increase in degrees is in degrees that are basically worthless as far as getting a good job.  Almost any sort of engineering degree will get you into a great, well-paying career, but engineering degrees are bastardly hard to get (and with good reason).  We're practically drowning in people with history and english (and even worse, gender studies) degrees, which are basically useless except for the fairly small number we can use as teachers.  (History and english teachers in Ontario are complaining about not being able to get jobs.)

December 03, 2015, 07:32:56 PM #7866 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:38:57 PM by Ibrahim90
If you know what you're doing for example, you could get a lovely job anywhere with a Bachelor's in Geology--doesn't have to be the oil industry (though it is easier to get a job out of there when you have connections...). Same with Engineering. Both are hard to get, and quite demanding--as are most STEM fields, and the law.

This isn't to say the others aren't needed or useful (Gender studies aside), but their application outside academia is limited, and frankly, largely irrelevant.

There's also Mike Rowe's observation about what society expects: there seems to be this delusion that you need a college degree to be successful, and that blue-collar work (or any sort of "dirty-job"--even if white-collar) are somehow not worthwhile. (even though a college degree might be needed for some of them).

Considering my Master's studies is entirely funded by money I make doing one such "dirty job" (Mudlogging), I can't say I agree with that, yet people are largely stupid enough to think it's a must. And I know people who make way more money just welding, or putting in Car windows...there's a whole world out there of dirty jobs.

N.B.: there has been an increasing demand for people with BSc's in Geology, since the job is becoming more technically demanding, and there is a desire for increased accuracy, as the margin for error is increasingly small. I suspect I'm part of the first generation of loggers entirely drawn from college graduates--certainly none of the young people coming in lacking degrees have have been able to get far in my job.

I just hope though I can keep working...this oil slump's got me nervous all year...
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Here in Ontario there's been a relatively recent push to get people to go into building trades like plumbers, electricians, and carpenters, since we've discovered we have a real shortage of people who can do that sort of thing and it's only going to be getting worse and there's really no way to not need them to build and maintain buildings.  (3D printed buildings are lovely, but we're a long way from the machines being able to plumb and wire them without human labor, and I'm never going to like a printed plastic table better than a wooden or metal one.)  These people make quite nice money (a $50k a year job at 20 is pretty damn nifty, and gets better when you become a journeyman and then a master, and if you've got the talent and drive you can become a general contractor or even a developer and make serious coin) and the trade unions have some pretty decent benefits packages in some of them.

Then we've got the idiots trying to make a go of it in the seriously obsolete taxi industry.  They're so upset about both Uber and the Ottawa airport deciding to pull in a hefty fee for the privilege of picking up a fair at the airport that they recently trashed their dispatch company's dispatch center.  (Yes, that's right, they trashed the office through which almost all their work flows.  The union brought in people from outside Ottawa to bolster their numbers for this action, since there are only 300 taxi drivers who actually CARE about the airport pickup fee, the rest appear quite happy that the 300 no longer have the exclusive pickup rights for the airport and they can make money more efficiently by dropping off one person and picking up another.  Uber, well, they're being stupid and nasty about that and giving a lot of tourists the impression that Ottawa is NOT a place you want to be anywhere near a taxi driver.)

The most incoherent video you'll see all year.

[yt]cCePcXP86i8[/yt]

Must be part of the long running series: "The Protocols of the Elders of Mecca".
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

Quote from: tnu on May 28, 2014, 10:09:58 PM
Can you do one for Sam Seder? I have osmething of a vendett a agaisnt theman.
Yeah, Sam Seder is fucking cancer. My ancap friend told me he'd debate him at some point over Christmas break.
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat.

When someone holds power over me, it's Statism. When I hold power over someone else, though, it's called private property rights. "Anarcho-capitalism is a return to fuedalism. -Unknown
The same property rights which prevent me from attacking you prevent you from attacking me and that is extended to our property. I can not own you- this violates private property. Feudalism is a select few people called Lords who were politically connected who were given land by the king, and the serfs maybe could eventually buy a portion of the land from the lords. This is no way private property. This quote asserts that more conflict is caused by private property rather than property rights being a barrier to conflict. This is not true, as most violence violates property rights.
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat.

Is it still a quote if you can't attribute it to someone ?

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on December 27, 2015, 06:09:40 PM
Is it still a quote if you can't attribute it to someone ?

yeah: it's an anonymous quote.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]bUw-gV8lQNo[/yt]
This whole video

Also: this whole video
[yt]FZOfY7ZS59o[/yt]