Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I decided to share my recent Statist and Anarchist in r/politicalhumor. The following insipid conversation ensued:

http://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalHumor/comments/39bctp/statist_and_anarchist_statism/

Apparently, my comic advocates for fascism, and also "no true communism." Sigh.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: Altimadark on June 08, 2015, 09:16:36 AM
Salon.com: It's time for Marvel to make Magneto black by Eli Keel

Summary: Magneto can't be Jewish any more because the Holocaust was such a long time ago.

To paraphrase another commenter: Yeah, make the villain a black guy, that won't backfire at all. /sarcasm

the Holocaust is a long time ago, but why would this matter? this is the comic universe: age doesn't enter into it.

Besides, it was a brilliant move making him Jewish. Think about it: this guy was a guinea pig spared only because of his mutant powers; he is determined never to see happen again to his own people. This attitude is reflected in his equating mutants with jews in terms of persecution, with him being the meeting of the two (since he's a jew and a mutant), and having actually survived the concentration camps.

put simply, it gives the character depth, motivation, a running theme. To change him now would be insane. you could have the original Magneto die and be replaced, but you need this new Magneto to ave an equally compelling backstory--and I'm sorry, but what they're proposing isn't the way to do it...
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: BlameThe1st on June 10, 2015, 04:33:42 PM
I decided to share my recent Statist and Anarchist in r/politicalhumor. The following insipid conversation ensued:

http://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalHumor/comments/39bctp/statist_and_anarchist_statism/

Apparently, my comic advocates for fascism, and also "no true communism." Sigh.

This guy ... After two sentences I couldn't be bothered to read him any further.

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on June 11, 2015, 10:53:05 PM
This guy ... After two sentences I couldn't be bothered to read him any further.

Really? When I checked, everything was deleted. Also are talking about the person Bt1st was talking to or Bt1st himself?

Quote from: dallen68 on June 12, 2015, 05:12:55 AM
Really? When I checked, everything was deleted. Also are talking about the person Bt1st was talking to or Bt1st himself?

I'm talking about the guys that was objecting to Blt1st. When I originally checked the linked, at the time Bt1st posted it, the conversation was still there.

Why has it been deleted ?

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on June 12, 2015, 11:29:14 AM
I'm talking about the guys that was objecting to Blt1st. When I originally checked the linked, at the time Bt1st posted it, the conversation was still there.

Why has it been deleted ?

Because the guy's a wimp who can't stand up for his own nonsense?

So, if the first post is deleted, every response that came after is deleted with it automatically ?

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on June 12, 2015, 08:54:06 PM
So, if the first post is deleted, every response that came after is deleted with it automatically ?

That's usually the way it works.

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 12, 2015, 09:51:54 PM
That's usually the way it works.

Talk about an easy way out ...

The only solace that I have concerning this are the epic win responses to this steaming piece of bogon on Tumblr:

Quoteimpeccable logic

about 100% of the websites you visit didn't exist 100 years ago.

visit. real. webpages.

Pretty sure wheat, corn, salt, fat, and sugar all existed back then

fucking eat like a Russian peasant after the Bolshevik revolution, chow down like a Congolese family during the droughts of 1910 - 17, crunch your mandibles around pies filled with rat shit as the Pure Food and Drug Act starts to get enforced properly, suck down your gruel as a sod farmer at 5.30am, get beri-beri disease from eating polished white rice and let your brain rot out your thick unkempt hippie skull as you chew fucking curds and shit yourself to death

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on June 12, 2015, 11:29:16 PM

The only solace that I have concerning this are the epic win responses to this steaming piece of bogon on Tumblr:

Funny how I was looking at the top part of the graphic and thinking how great that is!

"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

June 15, 2015, 08:37:19 PM #7752 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:43:40 PM by CarcharOdin

What makes this a fail for me is two things:

1) Her comment on violence in video games. To me, holding an opinion like that on violence in the media means that I'm just going think you are boring and not a fun person to hang out with. No way around it. You're free to not think highly of violence in media, just don't expect me to think too highly of you in exchange.

2) Medicine has a been a character skill since the first game and all the main games feature a quest (or several) that involve you making treatments and cures for others.In fact, helping others survive has been the primary quest and/or motivation for the first three games (paraphrased below):

- Fallout 1: find a water purification chip to help your Vault survive a water shortage

- Fallout 2: find a device that can restore the environment around your village and enable them to have viable irrigation and agriculture again.

- Fallout 3: finish your father's work on a massive water purifier to bring clean, non-irradiated water to the people of post-apoc' Washington D.C.

Wu's statement above just further puts a point in the favor of those who state that people like Wu and Sarkeesian don't actually play games, especially the ones they're criticizing.
[First sig to be decided, too lazy right now]

Quote from: CarcharOdin on June 15, 2015, 08:37:19 PM

1) Her comment on violence in video games. To me, holding an opinion like that on violence in the media means that I'm just going think you are boring and not a fun person to hang out with. No way around it. You're free to not think highly of violence in media, just don't expect me to think too highly of you in exchange.

2) Medicine has a been a character skill since the first game and all the main games feature a quest (or several) that involve you making treatments and cures for others.In fact, helping others survive has been the primary quest and/or motivation for the first three games (paraphrased below):

- Fallout 1: find a water purification chip to help your Vault survive a water shortage

- Fallout 2: find a device that can restore the environment around your village and enable them to have viable irrigation and agriculture again.

- Fallout 3: finish your father's work on a massive water purifier to bring clean, non-irradiated water to the people of post-apoc' Washington D.C.

Wu's statement above just further puts a point in the favor of those who state that people like Wu and Sarkeesian don't actually play games, especially the ones they're criticizing.

And beyond that, what is she asking exactly ? Should the game allow the player to create vaccines or cure cancers ? Isn't that enough that we can repair broken limbs and take care of our general health in a world where drinkable water can be a luxury ?

Quote from: CarcharOdin on June 15, 2015, 08:37:19 PM

Then there's the sort of things Sarkeesian complains about being in games EXCEPT for games like Wu's (with its cartoonishly hypersexualized female characters).  I'd like to see how Sarkeesian would react to a palette swapped and head resorted versian of Wu's character lineup.  Would she recognize it before spewing her usual idiocy?