Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://comments.deviantart.com/1/531418516/3829519975

One obnoxious comment thread to a satirical piece I wrote:
Quoteaceking90: So you are now using fake news as a means to prove a point? That's sounds like typical anti feminist/conservative tactics to me. You can't use real facts so you make up your owns, just like Fox News.

BlameThe1st: What part of SATIRE evaded you here?

aceking90: None of it. It was just bad satire because you are using  it as a means to show how "evil" feminist are while never actually giving a real world example. Compare this to John Stewart, when he makes fun of the republican party or other members of the conservative right he actually has facts and statistics to back up his argument. He doesn't just make up stories to prove a point.

BlameThe1st: You don't read the Onion, do you? This fake article is in the same style as theirs. And by the way, this article was based on the news story about the colleges which created "safe spaces" for women during a speech by an "anti-feminist." The point of this satire was to highlight how ridiculous that was.

aceking90: The onion is not trying to make political argument. Also I doubt what you claim about colleges setting up safe zones for women is true. So find me a story about it from a neutral third party, not a men's rights sight.

BlameThe1st: All satire, all comedy, makes a point, wheter the person making the joke intended or not.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

I might have supported this sentiment back when I supported the death penalty, but now that I've done more research, I now know that the death penalty is much more costly than life imprisonment. So this meme is fail.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on May 16, 2015, 02:58:10 PM

I might have supported this sentiment back when I supported the death penalty, but now that I've done more research, I now know that the death penalty is much more costly than life imprisonment. So this meme is fail.
I will personally always adore the (win) response from Shane regarding the Death penalty.
Fact:  innocent people have been murdered via the death penalty by the state.
Also Fact:  giving moral encouragement to a criminal so he'll commit a crime makes you just as guilty of that crime as the one who did the act. (as Hawkeye explains here:  http://lordthawkeye.deviantart.com/journal/Why-are-you-still-a-statist-219816956 )
Ergo: anyone for the death penalty is guilty of murder by proxy (or whichever term Shane used)!  And by their own logic, they deserve to be killed themselves!

Consistency & 1st principles.  They're a bitch like that.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

May 17, 2015, 10:21:42 AM #7698 Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:41:16 PM by Travis Retriever
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

May 18, 2015, 06:43:19 AM #7699 Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:51:41 AM by tnu
While searching on the subject of libertarian superheros.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2013/05/film-review-iron-man-3-politics

Mother Jones!

[yt]YRSXSWDxMlk[/yt]

In response to me saying I want to move to Chattanooga TN for the 1000 Mbps connection (or possibly to a city with Google Fiber, is actually available in some cities not just under construction):
"But Travis! That's too much bandwidth, you'd never be able to use it all legally! We have 50 mbit and we barely use that."

My response: "Awesome, give some of it to me", or "Prove it using math, or STFU & GTFO."

Gotta love people in ivory towers...

Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 22, 2015, 02:20:49 PM
In response to me saying I want to move to Chattanooga TN for the 1000 Mbps connection (or possibly to a city with Google Fiber, is actually available in some cities not just under construction):
"But Travis! That's too much bandwidth, you'd never be able to use it all legally! We have 50 mbit and we barely use that."

My response: "Awesome, give some of it to me", or "Prove it using math, or STFU & GTFO."

That might have just been a joke. I use that kind of humor all the time.
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 22, 2015, 02:20:49 PM

I have been able to roughly reach the download rate of a 500Mb/s line on the Origin servers (I have a 1000Mo line), and it's very nice to be able to get most games in less than 15 minutes regardles of the size. Most servers I use never get to half that rate though. Even on Steam I rarely go above 25Mo/s, and if so, by not much, with maybe one exception at around 30. The point is, there is a use for high speed connections, and everyone knows that it'll only get more useful in the near future. There are already games worth above 100Go of data out there (I had one MMO like that once, did not have fiber at the time :()

Also, I don't know what solutions providers use in the US, but the fiber has been a trigger to a very fast construction of a new network in France, because since people can't use all the bandwith,  providers make several people share one line. That enabled widespread cover at quite a fast rate and at roughly the same price as ADSL.

The old technologies would never have been able to raise the pace of the construction of a solid network for 100% of people. Fiber do. There are litteraly no reasons to not want more fiber everywhere.

May 22, 2015, 05:12:15 PM #7704 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:24:20 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: ArtemisVale on May 22, 2015, 03:21:38 PM
That might have just been a joke. I use that kind of humor all the time.

It was definitely serious, based on the rest of the conversation.  That and there was no indication that it was a joke.

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on May 22, 2015, 04:04:58 PM
I have been able to roughly reach the download rate of a 500Mb/s line on the Origin servers (I have a 1000Mo line), and it's very nice to be able to get most games in less than 15 minutes regardles of the size. Most servers I use never get to half that rate though. Even on Steam I rarely go above 25Mo/s, and if so, by not much, with maybe one exception at around 30. The point is, there is a use for high speed connections, and everyone knows that it'll only get more useful in the near future. There are already games worth above 100Go of data out there (I had one MMO like that once, did not have fiber at the time :()

Also, I don't know what solutions providers use in the US, but the fiber has been a trigger to a very fast construction of a new network in France, because since people can't use all the bandwith,  providers make several people share one line. That enabled widespread cover at quite a fast rate and at roughly the same price as ADSL.

The old technologies would never have been able to raise the pace of the construction of a solid network for 100% of people. Fiber do. There are litteraly no reasons to not want more fiber everywhere.
It's because of government bullshit.  Cable & Teleco (and other utilities for that matter) are given monopolies by local governments over the place they govern.  It SUCKS.  Verizon FiOS is not in my area and unless I go with dial-up or satellite (which would kill my ability to play games with friends or participate in the podcast because of the lag), my only other choice is Comcast...and let's just say they're legendary for how sucky they are.  Like, even the IRS has higher rated customer service.  I wish I was making that up.  So I have to rely on their crappy DSL + phone for $80 to $100/month for speeds like this:

And note that the phone doesn't include long distance either.  That's just for local numbers.  We have to use a long distance card if we want to call long distance.  And because I live in the middle of nowhere, we don't get mobile reception, something likely made worse by more government meddling of network infrastructure.  So yeah.  Thanks GOVCO!

Before switching to fiber, I had a similar connection to yours, so I know it sucks big time. Though, I didn't have to deal with those phone restrictions bullshit. The price was better to. If I were to throw a ballpark estimate of the equivalence, accounting for the differences in relations to average wages and how much life costs, I'd say I was paying something lie 60 to 70$.

The french government actually gave providers incentives to create a new and better network as fast as possible by subsidizing them (not with tax cuts but by giving them money). It's kind of funny to hear them tout their own horn at how smart and useful they are with this policy, when they really are just making a one-off of something that is always better anyway ... Now, the wierd thing, or completely expected depending on who you ask, is that they don't give every provider the same opportunities. The plans have to be veted by officials obviously, and only the chosen few can associate between themselves and benefit from the subsidies. As an example, in my area, it was two of them (among 4 or 5 providers and we have to add to that the professionals who can make the network but don't sell access). So, of course, the ones who are not chosen complain, because it is a way of giving an unfair advantage to some at the expense of others ... Which is forbidden by the european constitution (treaty of rome of 2004 if I read correctly).

"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on May 23, 2015, 01:41:46 AM
Oh, Cracked! What happened to you?!?
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-atheist-community-hurting-itself_p2/
>>Defensive
I'm about this || close to putting that in the same bin as I do common sense...

Quote from: ArtemisVale on May 22, 2015, 03:31:48 PM

Devils postpile?

http://www.fromthegrapevine.com/nature/11-intriguing-basalt-formations-around-world

and there's also a feature in South America (I forget where: looking for it atm), where basalt columns eroded in such a way that it looks like a man-made house.

OK, obviously society isn't basalt, but then, what the guy did was a straw-man anyways.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 23, 2015, 10:27:05 AM
>>Defensive
I'm about this || close to putting that in the same bin as I do common sense...

I can't be bothered to read anything that anyone has to say about atheism anymore ... It's so simple to understand and yet, some people can't stop inserting their own bullshit in the discussion ...