Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This entire radio program on CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/

Itis purported to be a comedy show, but has a fatal flaw:  It isn't funny.

December 28, 2014, 04:56:04 PM #7081 Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:59:22 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: ArtemisVale on December 27, 2014, 10:40:21 PM
1. Wasn't that because of fracking?
2. Again, that was do to market interactions that happened in spite of what the president did
3. So the rate of spending was cut to slightly less? I'll give him that, whoop-de-shit
4. Redundant and refer to 2
5. Refer to 2 again
6. We have to buy insurance or else we'll get fined, that oughta stick it to those corporations
7. And how did that solve our terrorism problem?
8. Kudos I guess
9. Deporting people who are just looking for opportunities? Classy

1.yes and no: frankly, it helps, but fundamentally it is simply that production has outstripped sagging demand (caused by the recession). Most of the Oil wells I worked on were verticals anyways. One thing about fracking people forget: it is ridiculously expensive. Just to get the CO2 costs hundereds of thousands (it's used in some fracking operations). the wells I worked on in fact were to extract CO2 for fracking, and each well costs 100-300 grand. One hole cost the company 1.3-1.5 million dollars. So it can take years for the effects to show up, and in fact oil prices are semi-cyclical in nature (so every few years, it will drop, then recover, go up, stay up, then go at it again: this is taking account into inflation).
2. and it really hasn't recovered to pre-recession levels anyhow. same for jobs.

nothing to add to the rest.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: tnu on December 29, 2014, 09:07:02 AM

Ugh, this point has been long refuted with sheer logic.

Whoever ends up finding the cure for cancer is SET FOR LIFE financially. Not only will you get people buying the cure en masse but you'll be financially secure thanks to book deals, potential movie deals, seminar deals, interview deals, so on and so forth. With all that publicity over something that monumental, you could easily become a millionaire if not a billionaire provided you know what you're doing.

Quote from: tnu on December 29, 2014, 12:45:04 PM

If no country in the world has ever done it, then how do they know what actually happens? This is the biggest problem I have with that argument.

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 29, 2014, 02:09:11 PM
If no country in the world has ever done it, then how do they know what actually happens? This is the biggest problem I have with that argument.

Cause they had a feels and feels totally are a substitute for logic and evidence.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

What is being referred to when they say "we know what happens" is the "letting companies do what they want" part. It's a reference to how (it is claimed) businesses were run prior to all the safety/wage/hour/age blah-de-blah else regulations were put in place.  What we "know" happens is: everybody works for *can't possibly-live-wage, children are the main income for their families, everybody works from the moment their eyes crack open in the morning until they fall down asleep at their pick axe, and so forth..."

Just because there's only a few anecdotal stories about that actually happening, and even those usually end with the company finding itself without a labor force, and thus out of business, is not in any way a refutation of the power of the omnipotent state!*

*read in sarcastic voice.

Molyneux putting his foot in his mouth again. He told a caller Eric Garner selling "loosie" cigarettes isn't a victimless crime. The victim you ask? Stores that pay taxes.

"If there was no victim, why was anyone calling about this"

Caller calls in at 18:50 in the video

[yt]YAVmImxy_6I[/yt]

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on January 01, 2015, 11:27:21 AM
Molyneux putting his foot in his mouth again. He told a caller Eric Garner selling "loosie" cigarettes isn't a victimless crime. The victim you ask? Stores that pay taxes.

"If there was no victim, why was anyone calling about this"

Caller calls in at 18:50 in the video

[yt]YAVmImxy_6I[/yt]

They're victims of the state, not Eric Garner.

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 01, 2015, 12:31:09 PM
They're victims of the state, not Eric Garner.

Stefan also blames Garner.

When the caller points out that they're victims of the state, Stefan says, and I quote:
"Yeah, yeah I get that, but they can't do anything about that. Right? I mean they can't do anything about cigarette taxes, but they can get the guy who is undercutting them and taking away their business off the sidewalk that their taxes pay for. I'm just talking about this within the context of the situation, but saying, 'Oh well he was selling cigarettes, there was no victim,' well there was. Because if there was no victim. why was anyone calling about this? If I go for a stroll in the woods, there's no victim right? And so nobody goes 'COPS CALL GUY IN THE WOODS' right? I mean, somebody was bothered by what he was doing and somebody felt, and I guess a number of people felt that his presence was negatively impacting their lives in some manner, in a significant enough manner to call the police. And so whether or not he was bothering their customers and the customers weren't going in or whether he was selling cigarettes or whether he was intimidating people, I don't know because there's no footage from before the incident but clearly there was enough of an incident and a repetitive enough of an incident that was harming people's perceived self-interests that they were willing to call the cops. Well, then there is. There ARE victims within the context of the situation and they can't change the cigarette tax law, but they can get a guy who, because he's not obeying the law, is able to undercut them off the street."

Quote from: D on January 01, 2015, 02:13:37 PM

When the caller points out that they're victims of the state, Stefan says, and I quote:
"Yeah, yeah I get that, but they can't do anything about that. Right? I mean they can't do anything about cigarette taxes, but they can get the guy who is undercutting them and taking away their business off the sidewalk that their taxes pay for. I'm just talking about this within the context of the situation, but saying, 'Oh well he was selling cigarettes, there was no victim,' well there was. Because if there was no victim. why was anyone calling about this? If I go for a stroll in the woods, there's no victim right? And so nobody goes 'COPS CALL GUY IN THE WOODS' right? I mean, somebody was bothered by what he was doing and somebody felt, and I guess a number of people felt that his presence was negatively impacting their lives in some manner, in a significant enough manner to call the police. And so whether or not he was bothering their customers and the customers weren't going in or whether he was selling cigarettes or whether he was intimidating people, I don't know because there's no footage from before the incident but clearly there was enough of an incident and a repetitive enough of an incident that was harming people's perceived self-interests that they were willing to call the cops. Well, then there is. There ARE victims within the context of the situation and they can't change the cigarette tax law, but they can get a guy who, because he's not obeying the law, is able to undercut them off the street."
Because apparently feels and triggers matter more than objective crime, etc.  Yeah.  #SorryNotSorry
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: D on January 01, 2015, 02:13:37 PM

Even if I were to accept that, it would still be the state who initiated the force, and therefore hold responsibility for everything that happened as a result.

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 01, 2015, 03:33:30 PM
Even if I were to accept that, it would still be the state who initiated the force, and therefore hold responsibility for everything that happened as a result.

Well according to the Moleman that's apparently okay because those store owners are following the law so you better follow too or else you're a criminal scumbag who is victimizing everyone else.