Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

I swear these people.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on November 07, 2014, 10:34:35 PM

I swear these people.
No, OP.  It's a biological and evolutionary construct.  Deal with it.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]SoJ0EQE4KEo[/yt]

This video was posted on another forum I go to. Some absurd shit. The guy in question claims he promoted fluoridation for 25 years, but after "coaching" from his patients was told to "check the science" and made a 180 on his stance on fluoride.

Quote from: D on November 08, 2014, 08:40:43 PM
[yt]SoJ0EQE4KEo[/yt]

This video was posted on another forum I go to. Some absurd shit. The guy in question claims he promoted fluoridation for 25 years, but after "coaching" from his patients was told to "check the science" and made a 180 on his stance on fluoride.
Ya, and Kirk Cameron was an atheist.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

[yt]G790p0LcgbI[/yt]

November 12, 2014, 10:05:18 PM #6924 Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:11:05 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]fpbOEoRrHyU[/yt]

Misinformative, but still fav in that it is funny. :)

I'm not sure what is sadder: that a woman seriously believes this, that other people seriously believe her, or that news stories like this make writing satire all the more difficult. I mean, how the hell is The Onion supposed to compete with that?

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on November 13, 2014, 09:48:54 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm not sure what is sadder: that a woman seriously believes this, that other people seriously believe her, or that news stories like this make writing satire all the more difficult. I mean, how the hell is The Onion supposed to compete with that?
"healthy food is too expensive!"
Fact:  You can get shredded on skittles and coke (the soda...yes, even the caffeine free stuff) as I've established by Armi Legge before:

Quote from: Armi Legge
Myth #1: What you eat is more important than how much you eat.

You could get ripped on skittles and coke (the soda).
That's an extreme example, and you probably wouldn't enjoy that diet. However, in terms of just weight loss, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a caloric deficit. You'll lose weight.

There's no evidence that "junk food" is more fattening than "healthy food" if they have the same number of calories.5

Here are a few more common scapegoats:

Toxins like bisphenol-A (BPA).6
Genetically modified foods.
Sugar.7
Fructose.8
Gluten.
Dairy.
There's no evidence that eating any of these foods will make you gain more fat, or slow fat loss, while you're in a calorie deficit.5,6,9-11 There is also no evidence that other foods will help you lose more fat while dieting.
This doesn't mean food quality is irrelevant. Eating whole, nutritious, filling foods helps control hunger and keeps you healthy in the long-term.12-15

However, eating moderate amounts of "unclean" foods is not going to make any impact on your ability to lose fat as long as you're in a caloric deficit.

Certain foods are more filling than others, and thus make it easier to maintain a caloric deficit. However, as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.

Food "quality" (whatever that means) doesn't make any difference.
(Sources in the article:  https://evidencemag.com/calories-count )

"Exercise is too expensive!"
Bullshit.  Walk around and stand up more.  Both of which cost absolutely nothing.  Hell, even many resistance training exercises (like push-ups) can be done on the floor for free.  #NoExcuses

November 14, 2014, 07:20:37 PM #6929 Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:25:03 PM by MrBogosity
Quote from: MrBogosity on November 14, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
Um, aren't they inadvertently admitting something?

What exactly?

That their cause is fundamentally bigoted.