Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 21, 2014, 12:55:44 PM #6465 Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:00:50 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]y7el4lGbkfY[/yt]
From roughly 1:03:00 onward...
Then there's the stuff about Stef filing a DMCA...that his fanbase is defending.
[yt]GhBO0Pk6iNk[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on August 21, 2014, 12:55:44 PM
Then there's the stuff about Stef filing a DMCA...that his fanbase is defending.

What, does he want another Idiot Extraordinaire?

August 21, 2014, 06:02:42 PM #6467 Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:52:07 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 21, 2014, 06:00:17 PM
I was going to nominate him if you hadn't already picked someone else. If you haven't already, I'd suggest watching the other video from the posted timestamp onward...I put it in fail quotes for a reason.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 21, 2014, 06:00:17 PM

What did he do the last time he got that?
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: AnCapBrony on August 21, 2014, 07:00:06 PM
What did he do the last time he got that?

Complained about people donating less than $2 to him or something along those lines.

Quote from: D on August 21, 2014, 07:07:59 PM
Complained about people donating less than $2 to him or something along those lines.

not merely that he complained, but the way he treated the ones who did.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Ok, we you stop stealing my tax dollars.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

August 22, 2014, 04:03:02 PM #6472 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:17:01 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]KqCXpDFm4N0[/yt]
https://members.cpo.on.ca/public_register/show/19048?section=discipline#ui-tabs-12
Fail because of Stef's actions and words.

EDIT: Okay, I've compiled things into a post of mine on Google Plus:
https://plus.google.com/116593195967885611442/posts/9tRtxc5sGcF

I wouldn't jump the gun, all we have is a few screenshots with no context and considering it's from the kind of youtuber who thinks screaming "CULTIST!" at anything he doesn't like constitutes an argument, I'd take everything he says with great bucket loads of salt.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

August 22, 2014, 06:51:17 PM #6474 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:02:57 PM by Skm1091
Quote from: Dukect45 on August 20, 2014, 01:12:39 PM
[yt]sKzlSctIWUQ[/yt]

The video is fine but the comment section I mean good lord so many Holocaust deniers ugh

How the hell are these holocaust deniers so fucking popular? With all the evidence, I'm surprised so many people deny it happened. Then again there are quite a lot of moon hoaxers around on the net.

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on August 22, 2014, 06:36:58 PM
I wouldn't jump the gun, all we have is a few screenshots with no context and considering it's from the kind of youtuber who thinks screaming "CULTIST!" at anything he doesn't like constitutes an argument, I'd take everything he says with great bucket loads of salt.

Actually, there is more than just screenshots.

There's the fact that the youtuber in question had their channel terminated as well as the fact that Michael DeMarco who apparently works for Free Domain Radio even admitted to it under the dubious claim that, "some of the people who had called in to Molyneux's talk show had been harassed." TruShibes however did not do that. He merely used the videos he posted to point out what he believed were Stef's hypocritical moments, as well as to show off what he believed was bullying towards callers.

Now, either this is a massive oversight, or Molyneux is claiming to be against DMCA, only when it's convenient to him. Of course he can easily clear the air and explain what happened, but until he does, the evidence is damning.

August 22, 2014, 07:34:59 PM #6476 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:56:55 PM by Lord T Hawkeye
Quote from: D on August 22, 2014, 07:02:58 PM
Actually, there is more than just screenshots.

There's the fact that the youtuber in question had their channel terminated as well as the fact that Michael DeMarco who apparently works for Free Domain Radio even admitted to it under the dubious claim that, "some of the people who had called in to Molyneux's talk show had been harassed." TruShibes however did not do that. He merely used the videos he posted to point out what he believed were Stef's hypocritical moments, as well as to show off what he believed was bullying towards callers.

Now, either this is a massive oversight, or Molyneux is claiming to be against DMCA, only when it's convenient to him. Of course he can easily clear the air and explain what happened, but until he does, the evidence is damning.

The funny thing is, even if it is true, the case against statism still holds so it's all pissing in the wind anyway.  It's all just yet more distractions, desperate tactics by desperate fools as always.

I have to say, I do find the "dubious" claim to actually probably be the most believable.  There's vids going after Stef all over youtube and have been for years.  It REALLY doesn't make any sense that he'd suddenly do it now for those reasons.  In other words, if he was out to censor dissent, he'd have done it a LONG time ago.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

August 22, 2014, 08:25:09 PM #6477 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:43:03 PM by D
Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on August 22, 2014, 07:34:59 PM
The funny thing is, even if it is true, the case against statism still holds so it's all pissing in the wind anyway.  It's all just yet more distractions, desperate tactics by desperate fools as always.

I don't think anyone here was arguing whether or not arguments against statism hold. If anything, that's irrelevant to the point at hand.

However, for the sake of argument, I'll play devil's advocate here, I recall not too long ago when you yourself stated that it's okay to appeal to hypocrisy when denouncing an argument. I'll even post your exact words in response to Fennec stating you can't appeal to hypocrisy:
Quote from: Lord T HawkeyeActually yes it does because I already said, these people know the topic far better than I do and their actions suggest that they don't believe it or at least don't think it's that big a deal.  So if they know better than I do and they don't believe it, that's all I need.

So does that still hold true or are we done with that?

QuoteI have to say, I do find the "dubious" claim to actually probably be the most believable.  There's vids going after Stef all over youtube and have been for years.  It REALLY doesn't make any sense that he'd suddenly do it now for those reasons.  In other words, if he was out to censor dissent, he'd have done it a LONG time ago.

Then again, why not clear the air himself? Why doesn't he say that was why himself? The guy who claims to have done it works for Molyneux, meaning he represents him and the Free Domain Radio name. Again though, this also comes down to the fact that the channel in question that was taken down didn't do what they claimed was the reason the DMCAs were sent for in the first place.

If this was not an oversight by Stefan, then it still says something. You don't get to be the guy who says it's wrong to use the gun of government to stop people, while using a tool of government, in this case DMCA, to shut down other channels, regardless of the reason. That is being a hypocrite.

Quote from: D on August 22, 2014, 08:25:09 PM
I don't think anyone here was arguing whether or not arguments against statism hold. If anything, that's irrelevant to the point at hand.

Oh they'll sneak that in.  Just watch.

QuoteHowever, for the sake of argument, I'll play devil's advocate here, I recall not too long ago when you yourself stated that it's okay to appeal to hypocrisy when denouncing an argument. I'll even post your exact words in response to Fennec stating you can't appeal to hypocrisy:
So does that still hold true or are we done with that?

Like I said, I REALLY don't buy the idea that it was done to silence dissent.  The man has had that for decades now.  Why these vids?  Why now?  This whole thing just has "we're not getting the whole story" written all over it.  For all we know, the vids could have contained libel, threats or personal info of people.

QuoteThen again, why not clear the air himself? Why doesn't he say that was why himself? The guy who claims to have done it works for Molyneux, meaning he represents him and the Free Domain Radio name. Again though, this also comes down to the fact that the channel in question that was taken down didn't do what they claimed was the reason the DMCAs were sent for in the first place.

If this was not an oversight by Stefan, then it still says something. You don't get to be the guy who says it's wrong to use the gun of government to stop people, while using a tool of government, in this case DMCA, to shut down other channels, regardless of the reason. That is being a hypocrite.

And that's the other thing, it wasn't Stef himself, it was his employee.  We don't even know if Stef is even aware of the incident.  I mean, the idea that he just woke up one day and said "I think I'll start having my critics censored" just does not add up at all.
The more you know...

August 22, 2014, 08:59:38 PM #6479 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:03:49 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on August 22, 2014, 07:34:59 PM
The funny thing is, even if it is true, the case against statism still holds....

that maybe so. However:

QuoteIt's all just yet more distractions, desperate tactics by desperate fools as always.

I wouldn't call this a regular distraction...you are right that some may take advantage of this, but so what? I find the fact that someone used a false DMCA to be pretty damning as it is--regardless of the reasons.

QuoteI have to say, I do find the "dubious" claim to actually probably be the most believable.  There's vids going after Stef all over youtube and have been for years.  It REALLY doesn't make any sense that he'd suddenly do it now for those reasons.  In other words, if he was out to censor dissent, he'd have done it a LONG time ago.

totally irrelevant. So what if his reasons were "believable"? what is he doing DMCA'ing someone (the admin that is)? he had better methods of dealing with this guy than a DMCA--you know that, I know that, even that Maoist guy knows that!

and even if it were important, this interpretation is not the only possible one. especially if you saw TruShibes videos--which I did. I can totally see a Thomas Becket style affair coming out of ths (that is, a zealous lieutenant acting on behalf of Molyneux--whether by express command or not, to silence on particularly outspoken critic). The fact that TruShibes wasn't even guilty of the accusations (as D correctly pointed out), really hits home the fact that this isn't as the FDR people claim it to be.

And let's be generous: suppose that it were the case that it was a lieutenant doing this independently: If so, why wasn't he fired or punished? it has been some time already. Where are Molyneux's protestations?

I agree, we don't necessarily have the whole story, but what we do have doesn't look good at all...

btw, in case no one saw this Shibes guy: here's a partial mirror of one of his videos:

[yt]3Ha4ea53UGI&list=UUr42uLz8tYgRW9Q5FJW0yeg[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox