Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This page on the American Cancer Society is just full of fail: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/questionsaboutsmokingtobaccoandhealth/questions-about-smoking-tobacco-and-health-e-cigarettes

Example: "A study done by the FDA found cancer-causing substances in half the e-cigarette samples tested." You can say the same thing about coffee. The question is, HOW MUCH?

"Other impurities were also found, including one sample with diethylene glycol, a toxic ingredient found in antifreeze." Yeah, and it had dihydrogen monoxide as well, another toxic ingredient found in antifreeze. Come on--this is Food Babe-level fail!

"Because the American Cancer Society doesn't yet know whether e-cigarettes are safe and effective, we cannot recommend them to help people quit smoking." The fact that they've been shown to ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE QUIT SMOKING apparently doesn't enter into their thinking. We can't show they're safe, so RUN! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Here's the real crowning fail: "Like e-cigarettes, these new products need to be researched and regulated." Since they "need to be researched," they don't know how safe they are (as they repeatedly state throughout the article). But they also say they "need to be...regulated." So even though THEY DON'T KNOW (which is ridiculous, the science is in), they already know they need to be regulated. No matter WHAT the research says.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2014, 04:25:07 PM
This page on the American Cancer Society is just full of fail: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/questionsaboutsmokingtobaccoandhealth/questions-about-smoking-tobacco-and-health-e-cigarettes

Example: "A study done by the FDA found cancer-causing substances in half the e-cigarette samples tested." You can say the same thing about coffee. The question is, HOW MUCH?

"Other impurities were also found, including one sample with diethylene glycol, a toxic ingredient found in antifreeze." Yeah, and it had dihydrogen monoxide as well, another toxic ingredient found in antifreeze. Come on--this is Food Babe-level fail!

"Because the American Cancer Society doesn't yet know whether e-cigarettes are safe and effective, we cannot recommend them to help people quit smoking." The fact that they've been shown to ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE QUIT SMOKING apparently doesn't enter into their thinking. We can't show they're safe, so RUN! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Here's the real crowning fail: "Like e-cigarettes, these new products need to be researched and regulated." Since they "need to be researched," they don't know how safe they are (as they repeatedly state throughout the article). But they also say they "need to be...regulated." So even though THEY DON'T KNOW (which is ridiculous, the science is in), they already know they need to be regulated. No matter WHAT the research says.
The first quote reminds me of this gem of a short article by Alan Aragon:
alanaragon.com/protein-scare-mongering-courtesy-of-consumer-reports.html
I'll post the crowning jewel of it here:

Quote from: Alan Aragon
A very important detail is also noted by Cytosport, regarding the shadiness of the endeavor. CR slickly based its calculations of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) permitted daily exposure limits on a bodyweight of 50 kg or 110 lbs [2]. Using the extreme low-end of adult bodyweight makes it easy to cook up a gripping tale and claim that the amounts exceed safety limits.

Optimum Nutrition (maker of Gold Standard Whey & Platimum Hydrowhey) posted a response comparing the lead, arsenic, and cadmium content of more than 3-dozen 'regular' foods with the protein powders tested by CR. The facts put things into perspective really quick. Many of these commonly consumed foods absolutely blow away the heavy metal content of the protein powders. Instead of selecting a few examples that stick out to me, I'd encourage anyone to have a look at the entire list, and then relax a little about your protein supps [3]. 
Note that his sources are in the article itself.  What's more, it brings up another point about food processing that's often left out of the hysterics:  it can also mean removal of REAL toxins.  Like the worms that cause Trichinosis in pork being no longer a thing (thanks modern pork processing. :) ) and here in protein powder.  It isn't just black and white of processing = teh ebil!  A silly childish caricature if there was one.

And yeah, it's this kind of chicken little scaremongering by government health officials that likely causes many in the strength community (esp. Powerlifters) to develop an anti-science attitude (e.g. DON'T EAT EGG YOLK IT HAS CHOLESTEROL IT WILL GIVE YOU A HEART ATTACK!!1111).  While the strength community's sometimes anti-science, given the even stupider crap from govco and their cronies in health sciences, I personally don't blame them (and even sympathize & empathize).
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2014, 04:25:07 PM
Come on--this is Food Babe-level fail!
>>Food Babe
If I Google that will I become stupider or just angry?  What was the deal with it, if you don't mind my asking?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on August 17, 2014, 07:07:24 PM
>>Food Babe
If I Google that will I become stupider or just angry?  What was the deal with it, if you don't mind my asking?

Imagine someone who sees dihydrogen monoxide everywhere.

If you remember that whole bit about that ingredient in Subway's bread that was taken out because it was also used in yoga mats, even though there wasn't the first thing wrong with putting it in bread, that was Food Babe that started that.

August 17, 2014, 10:08:30 PM #6454 Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:21:06 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2014, 08:07:08 PM
Imagine someone who sees dihydrogen monoxide everywhere.

If you remember that whole bit about that ingredient in Subway's bread that was taken out because it was also used in yoga mats, even though there wasn't the first thing wrong with putting it in bread, that was Food Babe that started that.
Oh wow.  So one Google Search later and I find they are everything wrong with people when it comes to food:  anti-GMO, spreading bullshit about companies and ingredients they use, etc.  Good lord, would it kill these people to know that not all chemicals are teh ebil and toxic? Christ.

@Food Babe people:  Go frolick in an organic wheatgrass field to spare us your self-righteous noise and let the rest of us enjoy our food in peace.  Or barring that, take a chemistry course or two, you scientifically illiterate panic-scaremongers.

One more way the left is anti-science it seems, if this anti-GMO/anti-nuclear/etc stuff is any indicator.

Quote from: evensgrey on August 16, 2014, 09:56:58 AM
And what the hell is a 'brutalist'?
Arent those the big rhino like Zerg?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
Poisoning the well right out the gate.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on August 18, 2014, 07:39:41 PM
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
Poisoning the well right out the gate.
Rational Wiki is a joke.  It's basically a statheist Wikipedia masquerading around as a skeptic's wiki.

[yt]IfgzFlxXsFE[/yt]

Quote from: D on August 19, 2014, 07:37:47 PM

Dammit I was just about to post that xD

I should demilitarize first? Okay *gets shot by police*
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

[yt]sKzlSctIWUQ[/yt]

The video is fine but the comment section I mean good lord so many Holocaust deniers ugh 

The statists have proven us wrong. The pop-tart gun suspension isn't the stupidest thing to come out of the zero-tolerance policy.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/20/teen-arrested-suspended-for-shooting-a-d
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

Quote from: Altimadark on August 20, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
The statists have proven us wrong. The pop-tart gun suspension isn't the stupidest thing to come out of the zero-tolerance policy.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/20/teen-arrested-suspended-for-shooting-a-d

I'd hate to see what would have happened if he made a remake of Heart of Darkness...
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

http://www.cracked.com/article_20307_5-diabolical-ways-your-body-tricks-you-into-being-fat.html
#5--So the old "food is addictive!" bullshit.  Next!
#4, #3--These two contradict each other.  So...if I have a good sense of taste/smell, I'll overeat...if I have a crappy sense of taste/smell, I'll *still* overeat...wut?
#2--Sensationalist and vague wording that means nothing.
#1--If that were true, we'd have seen this deal with obesity over half a century ago after the Great Depression ended and starvation was no longer a thing in the USA.