Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 13, 2013, 10:39:36 PM #3990 Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:43:16 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
So since I don't feel like using my magical powers of necropolis to resurrect this thread

So in that class, we are discussing the engineering problems with why the barriers (or whatever) in New Orleans failed.  I bring up the bits Shane did in his free market video of people being pushed into moving there by govco housing projects and one student says,
"Well no, they weren't forced to move there." /facepalm

Really, the constant ignoring of the incentives, etc they do in that fucktarded ethics class reminds me of an ep of Dilbert where all the higher ups and managers and colluding with govco, stealing, etc, while the actual engineers have to go to an ethics class to "teach them not to steal."  I mean, talk about ignoring the elephant in the room.

Another fun bit was talking about whistle blowers sometimes even suggesting that they deserve to get fired/ostracized as they didn't suggest a solution to the problem, hur dur!  Nope, sorry, they don't owe you that, anymore than an atheist owes you a cure for cancer when he says prayer won't cure it.  Get over yourselves.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Oh my throbbing head.

Quote from: Skm1091 on August 13, 2013, 11:02:31 PM

Oh my throbbing head.

Completely forgetting that had hitler been one this would not have occurred (that and the straw man of the non-aggression principle)
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Skm1091 on August 13, 2013, 11:02:31 PM

Oh my throbbing head.
Nevermind that fact that, had the USA been running on libertarian principles in the first place then and around WWI, the horrors wouldn't have even happened to begin with.  Treaty of Versailes anyone?  Gotta love the people who think Hitler just appeared out of thin air...
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Holy false equivalency Batman!

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on August 14, 2013, 01:01:58 PM

Holy false equivalency Batman!
Are they seriously calling being wealthy a mental illness? O_o
And of course they special plead for govco which, last I checked steals over 1/2 of all our worldly wealth.  But no, they're not selfish, noooo!

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 14, 2013, 01:22:08 PM
Are they seriously calling being wealthy a mental illness? O_o
And of course they special plead for govco which, last I checked steals over 1/2 of all our worldly wealth.  But no, they're not selfish, noooo!

Actually, in a way it is a true equivalency. It just doesn't prove what the maker of the poster thinks it does. (It actually tells more about how we label people than it does about the people themselves) Just because someone has a collection of newspapers, doesn't make him crazy. Just because someone has a menagerie of pets, does not make them nuts. Just because someone acquired a measure of success does not make them .... uh, they didn't actually say what they were trying to imply .... does not mean they CAUSED the misfortune of someone else.

[yt]c7IsZc2X-r0[/yt]

The following conversation I had with him:

BlameTheFirst: So the Constitution guarantees a woman the "right" to an abortion, even though it never mentions abortion, but yet it does not guarantee the right to buy an AK-47, even though it explicitly states that "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed"?

rdubwiley: Yes. The fourteenth amendment gives non-explicit rights such as life and privacy, while denying you the right to buy an AK-47 does not stop you from owning a gun.

WTF? An AK-47 is a gun! I mean, wow. Just wow!

Quote from: BlameThe1st on August 14, 2013, 02:50:04 PM
[yt]c7IsZc2X-r0[/yt]

BlameTheFirst: So the Constitution guarantees a woman the "right" to an abortion, even though it never mentions abortion, but yet it does not guarantee the right to buy an AK-47, even though it explicitly states that "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed"?

rdubwiley: Yes. The fourteenth amendment gives non-explicit rights such as life and privacy, while denying you the right to buy an AK-47 does not stop you from owning a gun.

I think what he's trying to claimis that you can always buy a musket or a BB gun. Or a Nerf gun or a pop gun.

but since i'm here I may as well post somebody's "rebuttal" to that public goods argument.

QuoteOh hey, sorry we couldn't put out your house fire. We didn't meet our fundraising goal for this year and responding to any further fires that are deemed non-critical because lives aren't at stake would put us over budget. As a non-profit, there's only so much we can do!

Oh hey, sux that you and your family won't be looked after any private clubs after your injury. I guess you shouldn't have been a transgendered person and maybe you wouldn't have been rejected for membership.

Hey you know what, that's pretty cool you have some ideas about how the government is not doing the right thing with this bill they're trying to pass. But unless you stop talking about that, we're gonna have to pull you off the radio. You see, one of our biggest donors is a big supporter of that bill. As you know, freedom of speech protections don't apply when the outlet isn't government-funded.

Sux you were raped. Unfortunately, that private police officer nearby was contracted to protect the jewelry store nearby, and per the terms of his contract, he could not leave his post to run into the park in response to your screams while you were raped. Tough break.

Hey, you know how this museum houses some really important artefacts testifying to historical atrocities committed against a minority group, and how its location is also an important site where that happened? Well we're gonna have to bulldoze it down and sell it off to build a Walmart. You see, not enough people cared about what happened to that minority group besides members of that minority group. And unfortunately, that minority is in the minority and they have low socioeconomic status, so we can't afford to keep this museum open.

The fundamental problem with an article like this is confirmation bias. This article only looks at the successes of private funding. In fact, the way this 'study' was designed (I will list the public goods funded by private spending that are a close drive from me) completely excludes the possibility of even taking into consideration the failures of private funding. How many other works had to be shut down? How many others fell into disrepair and were bought by private companies and closed to the public? And of course, what would happen if private funding of public works were more extensive? There is a finite pool of benefactors in a country at any time - if there is a substantial increase in the number of public goods requiring funding, it might spread the donations out too thinly in some areas.

And then, beyond all the dangers of what will happen if there is a lack of voluntary private funding and the inequality that such a system might introduce, there is simply this: even if it were possible to fund all public works privately, that does not mean the government is not entitled to tax you. You are a voluntary citizen of this country. You have freedom to leave if you do not like the rules. You have freedom to publicly protest if you do not like the rules. And yet you remain and do not set off into the wilderness or go to another country. Why? Because of the protections and safety that membership in such a country provides for you. And in return for these protections, you must pay your membership fees, just like how the homeowners must pay theirs to the HOA if they wish to live in that exclusive neighbourhood with the nice roads. I'd daresay that it's the quality of the roads and the well kept nature of that neighbourhood that attracted people to become homeowners in that neighbourhood in the first place, which provided the HOA with the requisite number of people to levy fees against so that they can maintain that level of quality...

For that matter check out anything by Esprit in the thread.

http://gtx0.com/view.php?post=79161

Quote from: BlameThe1st on August 14, 2013, 02:50:04 PM
[yt]c7IsZc2X-r0[/yt]

Irresistible sarcastic response:

The AK-47 is a fully automatic rifle, a gun is a large weapon that is usually attached to a maritime vessel, building, set of wheels, a tank etc.  Pretty much everybody agrees that the right to bear arms includes rifles. The waters around "guns" are a bit more cloudy.

Real response:
However, from that quote, he seems to be saying, "stopping you from obtaining this specific rifle does not stop you from owning other rifles." Which is true.

August 14, 2013, 04:08:57 PM #4000 Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:57:45 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
[yt]S2OsdoAAjsE[/yt]
The comments agentssith.  It was either him or the furicon dude who seems to think that force would also include watching a movie with your friends.

Did You Know the Deficit Is Shrinking? Most Americans Don't, Thanks to Shameless Deficit Hawk Propaganda

And here we have Lee Doren explain why that's complete BS:

[yt]PGiudf9d-aE[/yt]

Being Liberal is Being Stupid As Usual, but a certain comment at the bottom of the picture screams pure failure to me:

Full comment:
Quote from: Martha CorrellAs an old hippie who preached peace and love back in the 60's, questioned why there is war and couldn't figure out why we can't all get along on this earth, I finally got it (about 30 years ago) that there will always be war. Apparently it's in human nature. I am thankful President Obama is in the White House because I shiver to think what would be happening now if it was someone else who dragged us into yet another war like Bush/Cheney for all the wrong reasons. Despite condemnations, this President is the best for the job at this point...he's calm under pressure...not perfect.....and as Angel said is doing the best he can under the circumstances.

Quote from: D on August 15, 2013, 06:43:31 PM
Being Liberal is Being Stupid As Usual, but a certain comment at the bottom of the picture screams pure failure to me:

Full comment:

I take it that this is supposed to mean Obama is getting the US into wars for the RIGHT reasons, then?

How many wars has he started up already?  Libya, Pakistan and Yemen he's actually attacked, he's sent troops into how many countries in Africa without permission?  (And that's just what comes to mind without checking anywhere.)

Uganda--he sent "Advisors" there. something to do with some guy no one has seen in a decade--Cony or Kony or something.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox