An interesting test

Started by Ibrahim90, April 29, 2020, 03:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 29, 2020, 03:26:35 AM Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:29:12 AM by Ibrahim90
This was a very interesting set of tests:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html

I took some out of curiosity, as Alan Alda mentioned them (or something like them) in his preview of a podcast on the subject. TBH, I was surprised at some of the results--particularly the weapons one:

-It said I (this is all subconscious, supposedly) moderately associate white people with weapons (I was expecting to be neutral). But thinking about it, I suppose it makes sense. I grew up in the Arab World, where having weapons is a sign of power--it's the means of projecting it. So when I'm in America, it's not a short stretch to subconsciously associate weapons with the group possessing the greatest political power (so white people).

Now that I think about it, it's a very medieval way of looking at the subject. It also explains why the very first thing I think about when I hear about gun control, is that you'd be prejudicing minorities.

-Another surprise was the religious preference; the test left out Islam, so it was really about which religion on offer in the test do I "prefer": Judaism or Christianity? Now, my family's from Hebron, so you'd expect a strong bias against one of the two (no prizes for guessing). Turns out--according to the test, anyway--I have no preference for or against either. I would have expected at least a slight bias against one of them, but apparently not. I wonder what would happen if Hinduism or some other religion were thrown in the mix. (as to what I conscience think: I don't care one way or another. Just don't be involved in giving my people a shit time).

-And in other news: I do--shock-gasp--have a preference toward Arab Muslims than I do people who aren't. But it's not as strong as you'd think (the test says it's a slight preference), but it's there.

And yeah, it shows I hold Trump in contempt.

So what do you guys think? Personally, I'm not sure how useful it is. I can see a person taking the test gaming it, or trolling it.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox