What kind of dumbass placement is this, YouTube?

Started by evensgrey, August 05, 2018, 06:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
OK, so I'm watching this video on trivia from Big Trouble in Little China,

[yt]PMQqb139Mvs[/yt]

and suddenly this ad switches in...

[yt]qwIVpp6lIVQ[/yt]

...that's 5 minutes longer than the video it was inserted into.  Why would anyone mistake that for something anyone is going to watch?

A TWENTY MINUTE AD???

I've always thought there should be something that said that the ad can't be longer than the video you're wanting to watch, but even by that standard this is just losing the plot!

August 08, 2018, 10:46:24 PM #2 Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:54:34 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 05, 2018, 10:17:24 PM
A TWENTY MINUTE AD???

I've always thought there should be something that said that the ad can't be longer than the video you're wanting to watch, but even by that standard this is just losing the plot!

We live in an age where you can get flagged as a racist for stating that you should attack the Indians in Civilization (from first to most recent versions), before they reach the modern era...why are you looking for sense?

EDIT: btw, this is what this refers to: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nuclear-gandhi
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 08, 2018, 10:46:24 PM
We live in an age where you can get flagged as a racist for stating that you should attack the Indians in Civilization (from first to most recent versions), before they reach the modern era...why are you looking for sense?

EDIT: btw, this is what this refers to: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nuclear-gandhi

Could it be that YouTube is experiencing it's own "integer rollover"?
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

May as well throw this in since it seems relevant to the discussion.  Recently YouTube has seen fit to show me two ads for each ad space. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I hit skip a lot, especially if the ad is too long and/or its in a bad part of the video and/or I've already seen the ad enough times.

...Now that I've typed that out, YT's ad behavior seems even more asinine. Huh.
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

Quote from: Dallas Wildman on August 12, 2018, 01:08:50 AM

Probably not.

They ran into that problem in 2014 with the view count on Gangnam Style going past 2^31, and now use 64-bit integers for at least some counts.

(Now, why they used a SIGNED integer for a quantity which is, by definition, never negative is a completely different puzzle.)

And the idiocy continues...

I was watching this Timeline documentary (great stuff if you want to learn about British history):

[yt]4kq9sbtFCR8[/yt]

Which is a solid 53+ minutes runtime, when THIS came up as an advert:

[yt]S1D_No3uAnM[/yt]

Which is not only less than 5 minutes shorter than the video it's an ad in, it absolutely reeks of scam.

August 14, 2018, 02:30:14 PM #8 Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:42:14 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: Dallas Wildman on August 12, 2018, 01:08:50 AM

No--and that wasn't what I was getting at. I was saying that I got called a racist for talking about India in the Civ games.

This ties in to the point that we live in a stupid age (which makes me wonder if human society hasn't always been stupid).

EDIT: also:

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 13, 2018, 09:24:54 PM
Still the most epic integer rollover:

Chicken-feed!

This is the most epic rollover:

[yt]YOg-V4OBZc0[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 14, 2018, 02:30:14 PM
No--and that wasn't what I was getting at. I was saying that I got called a racist for talking about India in the Civ games.

This ties in to the point that we live in a stupid age (which makes me wonder if human society hasn't always been stupid).

EDIT: also:

Chicken-feed!

This is the most epic rollover:

[yt]YOg-V4OBZc0[/yt]

The people complaining aren't even playing the games, so why worry about them?  (How do I know that people who complain about these sorts of things don't play games?  Simple.  Games that kow tow to these people invariably fail because nobody buys them.)

The famous screen corruption bug in the original Pac Man is actually in a different, and generally much more serious, bug.  It's a relative of a buffer overrun, in this case an unsigned 8-bit int overflowing into the next byte of memory when the level number when past 255, corrupting the screen display.

I like how, in this conversation focused on BS ad placements in YouTube videos, I fed into this tangent on video game bugs.  To me YouTube's "integer rollover" was going from user and content friendly upstart website to yet another big corporation that will police its users' content whenever it wants to and for stupid reasons (and top of the other BS).
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

Quote from: evensgrey on August 15, 2018, 02:33:34 PM
The people complaining aren't even playing the games, so why worry about them?  (How do I know that people who complain about these sorts of things don't play games?  Simple.  Games that kow tow to these people invariably fail because nobody buys them.)

The famous screen corruption bug in the original Pac Man is actually in a different, and generally much more serious, bug.  It's a relative of a buffer overrun, in this case an unsigned 8-bit int overflowing into the next byte of memory when the level number when past 255, corrupting the screen display.

Yeah, these people apparently run Quora...

-Jesse Cox

Well, I'm listening to the most recent Bogosity podcast on YouTube, when THIS shows up as an ad:

[yt]oRne6N6FFF0[/yt]

That's the full video, folks.  I checked the channel it's stored on, and not only is this the longest version currently there, there's actually a version that apparently was created as a proper ad, and is a reasonable 44 seconds long.