Unnamed(?) logical fallacies

Started by MrBogosity, September 24, 2009, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How about this one:
"It has never happened before, therefore, it will never happen."  Appeal to lack of precedent (unless there is an official name?  If you can think of a better name, please give it).

A common use I've seen of this logical fallacy is from, say, 9/11 truthers; "A building has never fallen like this before without controlled demolition!  It must have been controlled demolition."
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Actually, that would just be Appeal to Precedent; there's no need for the "lack of" part.

This also sounds similar to what Nassim Nicholas Taleb calls the "black swan" (covered in his book of the same name). Basically, just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 05, 2010, 07:00:54 AM
Actually, that would just be Appeal to Precedent; there's no need for the "lack of" part.
OK, thanks.
So is this a pre-existing logical fallacy?
I ask because it wasn't added to the group on your first post.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: valvatica on February 05, 2010, 07:44:00 PM
This also sounds similar to what Nassim Nicholas Taleb calls the "black swan" (covered in his book of the same name). Basically, just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.
That's EXACTLY what it is.

Here's one thought up by Shane.

Appeal to majority.
The majority of a population believe X to be true, better or legitimate therefore, it is.
This is similiar to an appeal to popularity, only instead of just being popular, it is more specific:  a majority of people think so, instead of just "many".
The entire concept of democracy is rooted in this fallacy (or fallacy family).

Example:  "Polls show that 75% of Canadians like their UHC, therefore it is better than free market health care."

I still think we need one for being falsely accused of being a conspiracy theorist.

You seem to be forgetting to add them if you like them to the list in the beginning.
Unless of course you haven't seen any worth adding in a while.

Appeal to conspiracy?
When they accuse you falsely of being a conspiracy theorist?

Which ones do you think I've missed? I don't feel like going through the thread right now.

1.  Appeal to "same argument"

2.  Appeal to Precedent

3.  Appeal to majority

4.  Appeal to conspiracy

Okay, but I'd really like to think of better names that appeal to same argument and appeal to conspiracy. I'll go ahead and put the other two in.

OK, for #1, how about "Argument Association Fallacy"?

For #4, how about "Pseudo Conspiracy Fallacy"?

Are these good?

How about False Conspiracy? I think that sounds better.

Still not wild about the first one. You don't really get an indication of what it is just by reading its name.

February 20, 2010, 11:16:31 AM #133 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:19:10 AM by MrBogosity
How about this: the Best Game In Town Fallacy.

"Our court system/universal health care/democracy/whatever may not be perfect, but it's the best game in town."

Related to the Holmesian Fallacy, the problem is that, even if you could prove your system is the best (extremely difficult, to say the least), you still cannot use this as an argument against other proposals which may yet be better.

@Shane:  "False Conspiracy" sounds good to me! :) 

I still liked the "Argument Association Fallacy".  Oh well.  We'll come up with something better sooner or later.

"the Best Game In Town Fallacy"  Also sounds good. :)