Unnamed(?) logical fallacies

Started by MrBogosity, September 24, 2009, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Even if he is you can always put him up against all the christians that took it too far.

No, because his driving force was communist dogma. Communism worships the state as god, so even calling it atheistic is iffy at best.

Twas brought up when I said that being a "fundamental atheist" is like being tall short person.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on December 22, 2009, 08:28:56 PM
Twas brought up when I said that being a "fundamental atheist" is like being tall short person.
Agreed.  To be sure, there ARE such a thing as "dogmatic" atheists (which is what people seem to mean when they say that), however, that doesn't make atheism a dogma, let alone a religion.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Dogmatic atheists are dogmatic about things other than their atheism, though.

Exactly.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 22, 2009, 09:09:41 PM
Dogmatic atheists are dogmatic about things other than their atheism, though.

Like Thunderf00t and his statism?

Quote from: VectorM on December 23, 2009, 11:52:37 PMLike Thunderf00t and his statism?
Yes.

I don't know if this is a fallacy or just a dishonest debating tactic, but it's been used against me several times, and I just saw another one from a YouTube user accusing me of getting information from a (so he says) disreputable source. Here's how this fallacy/tactic works:

1. Look at the source someone gives.

2. Find a person or group of questionable repute who cited the same source.

3. Use that to make the person look equally questionable.

Ad hominem? Poisoning the Well? Both? Something different?

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 31, 2009, 03:48:26 PM
I don't know if this is a fallacy or just a dishonest debating tactic, but it's been used against me several times, and I just saw another one from a YouTube user accusing me of getting information from a (so he says) disreputable source. Here's how this fallacy/tactic works:

Sounds like Guilt by Association to me.

January 01, 2010, 04:42:31 AM #101 Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:45:07 AM by Virgil0211
Quote from: MrBogosity on December 31, 2009, 03:48:26 PM

It seems a bit like a combination of poisoning the well, guilty by association, and those things being used to power an ad hominem attack, but primarily guilt by association.

It's amazing how long this thread's gotten. Has anybody made the comparison between stupidity and the borg yet? It seems like no matter what you do, dogmatism and idiocy just keeps adapting.

Vid only partially related.

[yt]kUWyAtqdwzc&feature=related[/yt]

This one drives me nuts too.

When you make an analogy or comparison, they say "that's not the same as this therefore the entire analogy is invalid"

In this case, I said "Anyone who thinks order can't come about without a central authority has never seen an ant colony" and it was met with "people aren't ants."  -_-

As I always say, nitpicking an analogy doesn't make you look smart.  It makes you look like you don't know what an analogy is.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

The queen is a large sack that lays eggs. It's not like she controls the ants.