Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"College is a racket." --Any sensible person
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"It's 'all great men have great women way out in front of them.' Or it SHOULD be." --Steven Moffat

"ALL free speech is offensive. Speech that is not offensive to anyone doesn't ever have to be defended because no one is opposing it. The only way to have free speech is for people to be offended." --Yours Truly

#2 top-rated comment in this video:

[yt]TuZhcUdEUPA[/yt]

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-types-friend-everyone-needs/
Though #4 is kind of a sore spot for me because I really don't know an engineering people.

I got booed for saying this, so it's probably true:

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat a meal. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life. Teach a man to fish in a public school and he'll only learn one method of fishing that probably doesn't even work."

Pretty much every quote by Sheogorath in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, notably in the Shivering Isles expansion. Here is one sample:

Quote"Optimism! How adorable! I love it! Even at the end, you make me laugh. I'm lying. That wasn't funny at all. No matter. Soon you and everyone else will be dead, and I will be left a mad god, ruler of a dead realm. Again."

You can read a few more here:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Sheogorath

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 24, 2011, 07:07:03 PM
I got booed for saying this, so it's probably true:

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat a meal. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life. Teach a man to fish in a public school and he'll only learn one method of fishing that probably doesn't even work."

True that.

Win!

[yt]D2p5svFJ9cQ[/yt]

"We shouldn't be asked for our papers"

Response: When you legitimize the state you have ceded all shoulds or should nots. you have ceded control and personal sovereignty. it's like putting a bunch of hungry great whites in an olympic swimming pool, jumping in, and then saying, "they shouldnt have bit me!"

once you create the extortion racket then expect nothing less than for its members to get completely power hungry and out of control.

"For me, the most ironic token of that moment in history is the plaque signed by Richard Nixon that Apollo 11 took to the Moon. It reads: 'We came in peace for all mankind.' As the United States was dropping 7.5 megatons of conventional explosives on small nations in Southeast Asia, we congratulated ourselves on our humanity: We would harm no one on a lifeless rock." --Carl Sagan

July 02, 2011, 10:23:10 AM #987 Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:11:06 AM by MrBogosity
This is a great movie for Independence Day, and it's full of fav quotes: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068156/

Adams: I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress!

Adams: A second flood, a simple famine, plagues of locusts everywhere / Or a cataclysmic earthquake I'd accept with some dispair / But no, you sent us Congress--good God sir, was that fair?

Adams: You've had a whole week! The entire Earth was created in a week!
Jefferson: Someday, you must tell me how you did it.

Adams: This is a revolution, damn it! We're going to have to offend SOMEBODY!

Adams: I won't be in the history books anyway, only you. Franklin did this and Franklin did that and Franklin did some other damn thing. Franklin smote the ground and out sprang George Washington, fully grown and on his horse. Franklin then electrified him with his miraculous lightning rod and the three of them--Franklin, Washington, and the horse--conducted the entire revolution all by themselves.
Franklin: I like it.

Franklin: A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as "our rebellion." It is only in the third person--"their rebellion"--that it becomes illegal.

Hancock: Gentlemen, forgive me if I don't join in the merriment, but if we're arrested now, my name is STILL THE ONLY ONE ON THE DAMN THING!

Lee: You've come to the one colony that can get job done: Virginia--the land that gave us our glorious commander in chief, George Washington, will now give the Congress its proposal on independence. And where Virginia proposes, the south is bound to follow. And where the south goes, the middle colonies go! Gentlemen, a salute to Virginia, the mother of American independence!
Adams: Incredible--we're free and he hasn't even left yet!

Adams: How long is this piddling to go on? We have been here for three solid days! We have endured, by my count, more than eighty-five separate changes and the removal of close to four hundred words. Now, would you whip it and beat it 'til you break its spirit? I tell you, that document is a masterful expression of the American mind!

Rutledge: Mr. Adams, once we achieve independence, who do you propose would rule in South Carolina?
Adams: The people, of course.
Rutledge: Which people, sir? The people of South Carolina, or the people of Massachusetts?

Franklin: Never was such a valuable possession so stupidly and recklessly managed, than this entire continent by the British crown. Our industry discouraged, our resources pillaged...worst of all, our very character stifled. We've spawned a new race here, Mr. Dickinson: rougher, simpler, more violent, more enterprising, less refined. We're a new nationality. We require a new nation.

Hall: Mr. President, Georgia seems to be split right down the middle on this issue: the people are against it, and I'm for it.

Rutledge: Mr. Adams is now calling our black slaves "Americans!" Are they, now?
Adams: Yes, they are: they're people, and they're here. If there's any other requirement, I haven't heard it.
Rutledge: They are here, yes, but they are not people sir, they are property.
Jefferson: No, sir they are people who are being TREATED as property!

Franklin: [to Adams, on the slavery issue] The issue here is independence! Perhaps you've forgotten that fact, but I have not! How DARE you jeopardize our cause when we've come so far! These men, no matter how much we may disagree with them, are not ribbon clerks to be ordered about! They're proud, accomplished men, the cream of their colonies. And whether you like it or not, they and the people they represent will be part of this new nation that you hope to create! Now, either learn how to live with them, or pack up and go home! In any case, stop acting like a Boston fishwife.

Adams: Mark me, Franklin: if we give in on this issue [slavery], posterity will never forgive us.
Franklin: That's probably true, but we won't hear a thing. We'll be long gone. Besides, what would posterity think we were? Demigods? We're men, no more no less, trying to get a nation started against greater odds than a more generous God would have allowed. First things first, John: Independence, America. If we don't secure that, what difference will the rest make?

Adams: I see fireworks / I see the pageant and pomp and parade / I hear the bells ringing out / I hear the cannons roar / I see Americans--ALL Americans free / Forever more

LOTS of others that I'll probably think of later...

"He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them to slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportations thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN King of Great Britain. Determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distiguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms against us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another."

--Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence (removed at the insistence of South Carolina delegates)

"In addition to legal rights, many same-sex couples seek formal state 'recognition' of their marriages.  Opponents fear this would tarnish state recognition of theirs. To both sides, I ask, do you really want your marriage blessed by the government? I'd sooner have mine blessed by the Keystone Kops." --Richard Maybury