Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Actually, I do think he got #7 wrong. It should have been: "Economists are more stupid than governments."

"All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress. Accordingly, administrative officials and employees alike are governed and guided, and in many instances restricted, by laws which establish policies, procedures, or rules in personnel matters." --FDR, letter to Luther Steward, 16 August 1937

Geez, if even FDR understood this, what's people's problem today?

After hearing about Indiana ruling on warrentless searches and the supreme court backing it up...

Government is that kid nobody wanted to play with because he'd always change the rules to make sure he always wins - my friend Wraith
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on June 03, 2011, 08:20:14 AM
After hearing about Indiana ruling on warrentless searches and the supreme court backing it up...

Government is that kid nobody wanted to play with because he'd always change the rules to make sure he always wins - my friend Wraith

I had a friend who was friends with someone like that once. He also happened to be a socially conservative/economically liberal southern Baptist who claimed I was going to hell because I watched anime and said "damn" (which provided a bit of fun when I tricked him into saying fuck).

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"Okay, here it is--the best answer you can have: I don't know. If I did know, I wouldn't tell you. When I DO know, what I know will change, so I won't really know then either. And then it will change again, so I still won't really know. And if, secretly, I'd really known all along, I'd still be telling you I don't know, because everything I said I knew, could be wrong, so I'd never really have known in the first place.

"Quantum security--I don't know AND it's a secret.

"I'm glad I've been able to clarify this for you." --Steven Moffat, on when the 2012 series of Doctor Who will be aired

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 08, 2011, 06:13:41 PM
"Okay, here it is--the best answer you can have: I don't know. If I did know, I wouldn't tell you. When I DO know, what I know will change, so I won't really know then either. And then it will change again, so I still won't really know. And if, secretly, I'd really known all along, I'd still be telling you I don't know, because everything I said I knew, could be wrong, so I'd never really have known in the first place.

"Quantum security--I don't know AND it's a secret.

"I'm glad I've been able to clarify this for you." --Steven Moffat, on when the 2012 series of Doctor Who will be aired

Best description of quantum mechanics ever.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on June 08, 2011, 06:40:21 PM
Best description of quantum mechanics ever.

And of econometrics.

A rather harsh lecture I sent to Nightmare060 after he blew off all my evidence for the umpteenth time and tried to claim the moral high ground

"The only proper comparison you can make to defend your position is to compare it to what it was like before and you refuse.  Why?  Are afraid you'll turn out to be wrong?  Is your ego really worth more to you than the well being of others who may in fact be getting ripped off by your government whom you refuse to see nothing but the good in despite all evidence?

This is why I say you don't give two shits about sick people.  Just like all the cavemen who defend the state, you care about getting your precious goodies and aren't bothered in the slightest by who gets hurt in the process.  Why else would you harp on insurance companies for denying coverage yet make excuses when your government outright denies care of any kind to people who need it?  How cold can you get?

Look back at your words REALLY carefully.  Your arguments all rely on your government to be incorruptible and if you believe that, you've got some serious balls calling ME naive."
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"Republicans are all for smaller government...until they get into office. Just like Obama was against the Patriot Act...until he got into office. Whatever party is in power seeks to gain more power while whoever is not in power seeks to keep that power in check...at least until they come into power. It's a vicious circle.
NADER 2012!!!
(oh, I am sooo kidding with that last bit :P )" --MrHoover3000 in the comments of this video

"Religion wants life to be a fate worse than death." - Pat Condell.

When he's not being a racist knob and sticks with the problem religion brings, he gives us some good quotes from time to time.

Quote from: D.Turcotte on June 10, 2011, 07:28:44 PM
"Religion wants life to be a fate worse than death." - Pat Condell.

When he's not being a racist knob and sticks with the problem religion brings, he gives us some good quotes from time to time.
Islam is not a race, but I still get your point.  It's kind of annoying listening to him blather on about Islam while ignoring the whole military interventionism on the West's part and its role in this and that.

"If I had never lived, someone else would probably have formulated the principle of determinacy. If Beethoven had never lived, no one would have written Opus 111." --Werner Heisenberg

"If we accept the illusion of group rights, we also accept the legitimacy of tyranny. That is why when it comes to human rights, no number is greater than one." --R. Lee Wrights

"Our politicians, left and right, are, to belabor the metaphor, the wastrel son: they are free to spend, to chase fantasies, and to squander resources, for the resources are not theirs, and there is no penalty for their misuse or loss." --David Mamet