Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Virgil0211 on May 11, 2011, 10:17:51 PM
And here's a quote from Star Trek Deep Space 9.

JAKE: Come on, Nog.
NOG: No.
JAKE: Why not?
NOG: It's my money, Jake. If you want to bid at the auction, use your own money.
JAKE: I'm human, I don't have any money.
NOG: It's not my fault that your species decided to abandon currency-based economics in favour of some philosophy of self-enhancement.
JAKE: Hey, watch it. There's nothing wrong with our philosophy. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.
NOG: What does that mean exactly?
JAKE: It means. It means we don't need money.
NOG: Well if you don't need money, then you certainly don't need mine.
ZING!

A good one:  "Liberty is the mother, not the daughter of order."
Something that every anarcho capitalist believes, or they wouldn't have become anarchists. :3
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

May 12, 2011, 12:10:21 PM #931 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:12:31 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
And while I'm at it:  "@eirefrance No, IDIOT. From Da Vinci to Bernoulli, the principles behind heavier-than-air flight had been well-studied and it was known for a FACT that it was an engineering problem, NOT a question of the laws of physics. In fact, you HAVE to have the sound theory before you can even BEGIN implementation.

You have NO leg to stand on here AND YOU KNOW IT. You DELIBERATELY ask for the impossible because you know you can't win any other way." --Shane, in his "Are you a libertarian" video, (emphasis added by me).

Sound theory is something anarcho-capitalists/voluntaryists/etc have in spades; and have had for years.  Same can't be said for statists, they never even got their theory off the ground as far as logical consistency (much less empirical verification) goes.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

May 12, 2011, 04:56:20 PM #932 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:09:10 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
[yt]PBH67OYPCXc[/yt]

"The problem with collectivist thinkers is that they presume themselves to occupy a non-existent sociologically analogous 'privileged reference frame' where they can observe social phenomena from an "outside," objective viewpoint, and dictate what 'society' is and what it and its values should be for everyone else. However 'networked' 'we' are, valuation originates in each individual mind and there is no escape from that reality. There is no 'social brain' despite the collectivist desire for it." --deepfriedsammich

To which Guncriminal responded with:  "I've noticed something similar, too, which might explain the repeated use of the various self-exclusion fallacies of collectivists. It's as if the collectivist making a statement is experiencing reality rather like you or I would watch a television screen - where what's going on on the screen has no relation with what's going on in the room the television is in."

May 13, 2011, 12:09:03 AM #934 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:19:58 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-question-youre-not-asking-should-you-go-to-college/

Here's the message overall I'm getting about college, shaped by many sources, in the USA, at least.

If you are going to go into something health care related (especially nursing, biomedical engineering, doctor, etc), go for it.  Assuming you're competent and a hard and honest worker, you'll be fine, maybe even with the debt.
If you're going into something else, but that will still give you a marketable skill set--Non medical engineering, accounting, architecture, etc--go for it, but maybe not take on the debt, just in case, as the economy still somewhat shaky in those areas.
If you're not going into either of those, either stick to a 2 year degree, high school vocational education (read: a trade school or something) or stick to jobs that don't even need that:  save your hard earned money.

You might be wondering why I didn't mention Software Engineering, despite the hot job it's been lately.  Well, I did once hear from an engineering professor that unless you're young and budding and very good at it, you probably shouldn't bother.  Maybe.

Another thing to look at is an internship, where you work for free for a period of time to gain experience and work history.

Indeed.

"Innovators and creative geniuses cannot be reared in schools [much less public schools]. They are precisely the men who defy what the school has taught them."

— Ludwig von Mises, in Human Action

You gotta love Mises.

May 14, 2011, 05:29:24 PM #938 Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:51:05 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: Gumba Masta on May 14, 2011, 05:27:16 PM
Cand this go into the fav quotes?

http://fukung.net/v/35130/7cc53ebd00025cba5f520aa960c3adb2.png

"Can't" is the word you're looking for mister Masta. :P

And yes, because that was fucking awesome. :D

May 15, 2011, 10:21:18 AM #939 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:25:33 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
[yt]VpZtX32sKVE[/yt]

"So you're suggesting that allowing someone to choose between having a job for lower than MW or unemployment is slavery, as opposed to forcing them into unemployment with no choice at all? Where's the logic in that?" --Fernoe, highest rated comment on this video as of this posting

"I think the vast majority of the 'you're censoring me!' bs is coming from people who haven't quite wrapped their heads around the idea that people who disagree with them have just as much right to speak as they do." --zEropoint68, in this the comments of this video

I also liked the first part too:

"As far as liars, I think you should block on the first lie. Scorched earth for dishonesty and no shit.
There is nothing that can make a liar tell the truth. Nuh Thing."

I would also add that many people throwing that "censorship!" stuff out don't seem aware of freedom of speech's twin brother, freedom of association.
And in some extreme cases seem to think that "freedom of speech" is meant as a positive right, which it isn't.

[yt]JrMOAbWcpKQ[/yt]

I love it when Stef does videos like this. :)

"I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." --Stephen Hawking