Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MrBogosity on March 09, 2011, 04:54:52 PM
“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” —Friedrich Nietzsche

That one was awesome!
I saw Stefan Molyneux quote that one on his video on reason, culture and madness.

Also, my bad, I guess I forgot to use the preview button on my last post. >_<
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"'Collectivist ethics' is an oxymoron." --Yours Truly, inspired by this video's title

I do have my moments. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

March 10, 2011, 08:51:54 PM #812 Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:30:14 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
"...Where we part ways is that is that you—like most of the people in the country—grew up assuming its [the Social Contract's] legitimacy and moral superiority, and never bothered to question it.  Go back 200 years ago, you'd have defended slavery.  And go back 400 [years] and you'd have defended the absolute monarchy." --GunCriminal, 14:10 to the very end

"The education system is a joke, and college is one of the biggest scams in American history." --KillerCracker69, highest rated comment on this video as of this posting

Even worse, is barriers to entry making it so you *need* a college education to get into so many professions you could, and should, be able to just work your way up in.

What Is Prejudice? by Ben O'Neill

This will make you think.  It sure got me thinking.  I also love the critique of what seems to be the predecessor of FlowCell's more recent posts.

The following is from Stefan Molyneux.
It's called, "How to Win Political Arguments in Two Minutes or Less"

"STATIST: I support [FILL IN THE BLANK, e.g. the Surge, Welfare, the War on Drugs, Homeland Security etc. etc.].

YOU: I respect and acknowledge your right to support that program. I encourage you to support it economically (E.g. "You likey the surge? No problem. Take out your checkbook and write a check to Donnie Rumsfeld"). Will you afford me the same respect and courtesy I am giving you? Am I free to disagree with you?

STATIST: Er, yes? (What else are they going to say?)

YOU: Am I allowed to ACT on that disagreement? (Logically, free people must be able to act on their decisions, otherwise it is an illusory right, for example, having the right to free press but not the right to type anything.) Am I allowed to act on my belief without the initiation of force against me?

STATIST: Er, yes?

YOU: So, you agree that I'm allowed to disagree with you. And you agree that I'm free to act on that disagreement, just as you are free to act on your beliefs, so, by way of example, if I don't likey the surge, am I free to not to write a check and not to economically support the surge?"

Wonderful. :)

"If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, then it doesn't matter what the answers are." --Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

That should be a skeptic's mantra, up there with "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

That is until the anti-skeptics start blowing it off as, "a cliché".

More epic win from Ludwig von Mises: "The characteristic feature of militarism is not the fact that a nation has a powerful army or navy. It is the paramount role assigned to the army within the political structure. Even in peacetime the army is supreme; it is the predominant factor in political life. The subjects must obey the government as soldiers must obey their superiors. Within a militarist community there is no freedom; there are only obedience and discipline." - Omnipotent Government

A quote worth showing to every political dogmatist who tries to accuse libertarians of being "republicans/conservatives".

"Men have the right to use physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. The ethical problem is simple and clear-cut: it is the difference between murder and self-defense." --Ayn Rand

What can I say?  She does have her moments. :)

"Fascism, Communism, Hitlerism, Stalinism, are all essentially the same thing. Their superficial differences amount to nothing more than catchwords and claptrap." --Albert Jay Nock

Ludwig von Mises: "What is called the American way of life is the result of the fact that the United States has put fewer obstacles in the way of saving and capital accumulation than in other nations." - Planning for Freedom

"Animals aren’t people. They are things – property. They have no rights. There is nothing immoral about killing and eating them. Comparing free use of property to abuses of people is offensive." --MaineShark (italics added by me)

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on March 15, 2011, 06:52:18 PM
"Animals aren't people. They are things – property. They have no rights. There is nothing immoral about killing and eating them. Comparing free use of property to abuses of people is offensive." --MaineShark (italics added by me)

Of course he fully ignores that people are animals too...

Quote from: Gumba Masta on March 16, 2011, 02:50:57 AMOf course he fully ignores that people are animals too...

He's going by the colloquial usage, which excludes humans. :P

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on March 16, 2011, 12:57:46 PM
He's going by the colloquial usage, which excludes humans. :P

That fascist peeeg!