Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
And not to be outdone is Krugman's Austrian detractor, Robert P. Murphy: "One of the biggest problems in the social sciences is that we can't run controlled experiments. That's why Keynesians and Austrians can cling to such vastly different policy conclusions, despite decades of experience and mounds of data. Just because unemployment "unexpectedly" shot way up after passage of the Obama stimulus package, doesn't mean it was a bad idea. The Keynesians are right: it's possible that unemployment would have been even worse in the absence of massive deficit spending. This is why it's so important to have sound theoretical views, which we then use to sift the data and make sense of things.

Paul Krugman's recent blog posts on state-level unemployment show just how easy it is for economists to protect their views from counterevidence. There are always arguments floating about that can take empirical evidence that was initially a liability and flip it around into a strength." --Conclusion of this article
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Lots of great quotes from Princess Bride!

"You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles." --Miracle Max

[yt]QG4jhlPLVVs[/yt]

Classic. :)

From Shane's website:  "Cigars killed my Uncle Phil / We knew someday they'd get him / He bent over in the street to pick one up / And a bus drove by and hit him" —Mike Cross

For making me giggle.

"I failed to find, although I was eagerly looking for it — that bitter struggle for the means of existence, among animals belonging to the same species, which was considered by most Darwinists (though not always by Darwin himself) as the dominant characteristic of struggle for life and the main factor of evolution. [What I saw instead was] Mutual Aid and Mutual Support carried on to an extent which made me suspect in it a feature of the greatest importance for the maintenance of life, the preservation of each species, and its further evolution.

[I concluded that] life in societies enables the feeblest animals, the feeblest birds, and the feeblest mammals to resist, or to protect themselves from the most terrible birds and beasts of prey; it permits longevity; it enables the species to rear its progeny with the least waste of energy and to maintain its numbers albeit a very slow birth-rate; it enables the gregarious animals to migrate in search of new abodes. Therefore, while fully admitting that force, swiftness, protective colors, cunningness, and endurance to hunger and cold, which are mentioned by Darwin and Wallace, are so many qualities making the individual or the species the fittest under certain circumstances, we maintain that under any circumstances sociability is the greatest advantage in the struggle for life. Those species which willingly abandon it are doomed to decay; while those animals which know best how to combine have the greatest chance of survival and of further evolution, although they may be inferior to others in each of the faculties enumerated by Darwin and Wallace, except the intellectual faculty." --Peter Kropotkin, source

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on March 06, 2011, 02:18:02 PM
From Shane's website:  "Cigars killed my Uncle Phil / We knew someday they'd get him / He bent over in the street to pick one up / And a bus drove by and hit him" —Mike Cross

So if you smoke or dip or chew / You'd better get your fill / 'Cause if tobacco don't get you / An anti-smoker will

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 06, 2011, 03:47:32 PMSo if you smoke or dip or chew / You'd better get your fill / 'Cause if tobacco don't get you / An anti-smoker will
True dat.
ALL HAIL THE NANNY STATE! ;D

March 06, 2011, 08:02:11 PM #803 Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:00:13 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
This article is chock full of Fav Quotes:  Taxpayers in Revolt by Doug French
I would especially recommend reading the whole thing if you're feeling down.  It's very empowering. :)

[yt]V7UVQ9KRxew[/yt]

"Next time someone tells you that a certain collective goal can't be reached unless you get everyone's participation, tell him that unless you can get everyone's voluntary participation that goal had jolly well better remain unfulfilled because human lives are not yours to dispose of." --Ayn Rand

And the highest rated comment on that video, slightly modified by me:  "@Aurini Not at all. If a slave accepts a meal from his master, does he thus condone slavery? If you go to the state run hospital, it's not because you chose them because as you said, all other options were cut off.

In simplest terms: [duress] =/= consent" --Lord T Hawkeye

"Government doesn't produce anything!" -- My econ professor, believe it or not

I have no other words. O_O

"The more historical research I read and the more I contrast what economists write with what non[-]economists write, the more I am convinced that the bulk of history and biography should be redone." --Art Carden

March 09, 2011, 11:21:43 AM #808 Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:20:03 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"[I]f licensing is so important in order to guarantee competent and qualified service providers, shouldn't we, in the same vein, require all politicians to go through years of training in the areas of philosophy, history, economics (including free-market economics), industrial production, accounting, and management before they are permitted to pass laws that affect the economy and our lives? Shouldn't they be licensed?" --Kel Kelly

EDIT: Fixed BBCode error. --MrB

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." —Friedrich Nietzsche