Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 22, 2011, 12:51:24 AM #780 Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:56:34 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: valvatica on May 25, 2010, 09:45:24 PM[video embed left out because it is no longer available]

"Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find some quality friends, you gotta wade through all the dicks first."

That was a good one.  I'm glad I saw you posted it, otherwise I might have ended up posting it myself soon. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

February 22, 2011, 12:55:30 AM #781 Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:18:14 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on June 03, 2010, 10:19:49 AMThis whole speech is a fav quote:

[yt]pRBdKMitPIg[/yt]

Part 2:

[yt]GmqXS5XSn10[/yt]

Faved and thumbed-up.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"The best way to run a country would be benevolent dictatorship. There's a problem, though, and that is that dictators are never benevolent, and the benevolent do not wish to dictate." --Richard "The Dick" Coughlan, in this video

For being a dick and a emo whore he says some frightfully sensible things.

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 22, 2011, 03:43:45 PM
"The best way to run a country would be benevolent dictatorship. There's a problem, though, and that is that dictators are never benevolent, and the benevolent do not wish to dictate." --Richard "The Dick" Coughlan, in this video

Not so sure about that.  I think Jacob Spinney's "The state is not great" video made a good case for how even if you did elect incorruptible angels who wanted nothing but what was best for everyone, it still wouldn't work because of the calculation problems which inevitably leads to misallocation of resources.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

[yt]AniIr_sIrRE[/yt]

"Given that average real IQ scores have increased by at least 24 points since 1900, I think it's safe to say that one of my engineering prof's excuse that, 'well the kids just don't want to learn' is not only nonsense, but outright defamation of character against all the children and parents screwed over by the public school system.
I wonder how he explains the fact that, despite only ~50% of people learning how to read in school, that we have a 97% adult literacy rate in the USA?  If children really didn't want to learn, those numbers would be about equal." --Me, in an AIM session with Lord T Hawkeye this morning.

I do have my moments, sometimes. :)

"Nobody is born aggressive, although aggressive behavior is the easiest behavior to learn." --My Sociology Professor.
To be fair, he does have his lucid moments.

March 01, 2011, 09:44:14 AM #788 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:48:29 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
"But you see Jacob, the Venus Project will work, because in a Venus Project society resources really are unlimited! Your metaphor would only be correct if on my deserted island there was also an army of magical robots!" --Stargazer5781, a comment on this video:  [yt]CLSxITH-1tE[/yt]

Jacob got a laugh out of it, I got a giggle out of it, I'm sure some people here will like it too. :)

Also, check out the other comments left by eagleeye1975, and stargazer5781.
They'll crack you up.

"This isn't a bill for health care, let's get to the friggin' action already!" --Spoony (I think):  Source

I had to include this classic by Harry Browne:

"Some people say I go too far in wanting to cut the government. They say I want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. But here's what they don't understand: It's Rosemary's baby." -- Harry Browne

"Today, in tribute to our departed friend, we present a very slightly modified version of Harry Browne's final column. With Pamela Browne's permission, we present this example of Harry's style because it says so much of what we believe, in such a simple, clear, and brief way. We've titled it, 'Why You're a DC Downsizer.'

You're a DC Downsizer because you abhor violence . . .

When a neighbor isn't willing to contribute as much to a social project as you are, you'd never think of:

Using a gun to force him to contribute;

Hiring an armed gang to threaten to kidnap him or confiscate his money if he didn't contribute;

Using the government in place of the armed gang if he didn't contribute -- because every government program, in the final analysis, involves violence against those who don't comply.

If two people have agreed to engage in voluntary behavior between them, with no violence involved, you'd never think of:

Using a gun to stop them;

Hiring an armed gang to threaten to kidnap them if they didn't stop;

Using the government in place of the armed gang to stop them.

If a company and an individual have agreed to engage in voluntary behavior between them, with no violence involved, you'd never think of:

Using a gun to stop them;

Hiring an armed gang to threaten to kidnap them if they didn't stop;

Using the government in place of the armed gang to stop them.

If a foreign government is not attacking America, you'd never support the idea of initiating violence against the foreign country.

As one who abhors violence, you're willing to tolerate anything that's peaceful, and you practice the principle of live and let live -- opposing the initiation of force (violence) against anyone for any purpose.

That's why you're a DC Downsizer."

We miss you, Harry.

"So what is government? Very simply, it is an agency of coercion. Of course, there are other agencies of coercion, such as the Mafia. So to be more precise, government is the agency of coercion that has flags in front of its offices." —Harry Browne

The Fight against Intellectual Property by Jacob H. Huebert

This article is really something else.  It uses philosophy & moral arguments, takes into account the arguments of the opposition, practical analysis, historical evidence/precedence, references to other good books, is heavily sourced, etc.
Simply put, it's the best article on Intellectual Monopoly since "The Fallacy of Intellectual Property" by Daniel Krawisz.

Another gem from the original Austrian Economist, Ludwig von Mises: "European totalitarianism is an upshot of bureaucracys['] preeminence in the field of education. The universities paved the way for the dictators." - Bureaucracy