Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
[yt]cl424cDABjw[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

December 11, 2010, 12:22:46 AM #616 Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:34:18 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: Textra1@Soulfree2008 It's so cute that you think that a government of the people, for the people will lead to a non-coercive state, but America is an example of the failure of that principle. It's time to stop creating lords for ourselves and grow up. Dependence on the state is created by the state, so that people can argue that we need the state. The state is a crutch and it's time we moved on from it.
Source
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]SdQ42UJGUnM[/yt]
This made me think of Shane.

Something surhot just posted in Fail Quotes reminded me of this:

Quote from: "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" by Douglas Adams"I come in peace," [the giant robot whose spaceship has just landed and caused lots of damage] said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in."

See, the lizards do rule the world.

Quote from: Gumba Masta on December 12, 2010, 03:29:31 AM
I didn't even know America had these many presidents.
But if you ask me I would choose Madison both as best and worst.
He had the gall to both go to war with Canada and loose it.
I bet it's because of video games. I heard he was an avid Fan of the Fallout series.

December 12, 2010, 03:56:30 PM #621 Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:01:16 PM by Gumba Masta
For my recent string of fav quotes I'd like to thank a very special person.
Say about Kent Hovind what you want, but he teached me how far you can get with a livid disregard for reality and a absence of sanity.

Quote from: Gumba Masta on December 12, 2010, 03:56:30 PM
Say about Kent Hovind what you want, but he teached me how far you can get with a livid disregard for reality and a absence of sanity.

I think the big difference is, you're doing it on purpose.

Quote from: Gumba Masta on December 12, 2010, 03:56:30 PM

No more bogons for you.

"I've got over 9000 wieners and I know right where to stick them."--Me, inspired by Encyclopedia Dramatica's article, "Gee Bill".

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 12, 2010, 04:09:24 PM
I think the big difference is, you're doing it on purpose.
I allegedly do it on purpose

Ludwig von Mises: "It is a poor makeshift to call any age an age of transition. In the living world there is always change. Every age is an age of transition." - Human Action

"To admit [the creationist] view is, as it seems to me, to reject a real for an unreal, or at least for an unknown cause. It makes the works of God a mere mockery and deception; I would almost as soon believe with the old and ignorant cosmogonists, that fossil shells had never lived, but had been created in stone so as to mock the shells now living on the sea-shore." --Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

December 17, 2010, 12:15:57 AM #628 Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:36:54 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"Third, the world did not begin on September 11. Our 104-year-old [this was written in 2002] policy of global intervention has made many enemies. What is happening now is a textbook example of how government grows. Government intervenes into some aspect of life, domestic or foreign, where it doesn't belong. It screws it up good, creates problems that would not otherwise exist, and then uses its powerful propaganda machine to disguise the true cause of the problem and convince people that even more government action is required. To paraphrase Ludwig von Mises, government creates its own demand."--James Ostrowski

[yt]KIk5C2qsRH8[/yt]
Made of win.