Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"War, debt and inflation are good for the economy."--fail quote inspired by Lord T Hawkeye's 'Debt is good' acquaintance.

"Like self-cannibalism [eating yourself] is good for your health."--The proper response to the above
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Well... It's sort of a last resort.
I once had a game where you could develop a spaceship tech that cannibalized part of the hull to convert it to energy for your ship weapons.

Anyone know who said this?

"Even the best laws can't keep bad men from doing evil things."

July 01, 2010, 04:51:18 PM #438 Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:48:34 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
No idea.

How about this one:
"Bureaucracy: the practice of making organizations as inefficient as possible."?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Gumba Masta on July 01, 2010, 04:29:56 PM
Anyone know who said this?

"Even the best laws can't keep bad men from doing evil things."

Penn Jillette said something like this.

"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by making insane laws...that's insane."
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"Bureaucracy grows to fit the needs and demands of a growing bureaucracy."

Quote from: Gumba Masta on July 02, 2010, 01:58:56 AM
"Bureaucracy grows to fit the needs and demands of a growing bureaucracy."

Actually, it's: "Bureaucracy is expanding to fit the needs of an expanding bureaucracy." --Ashleigh Brilliant

So I got the wording wrong. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

July 02, 2010, 01:03:47 PM #444 Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:06:13 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
If it makes you feel any better, I liked your wording more than the original's.

"War, and preparation for war, is a racket; serving the special interests." --Ron Paul

"in inflation everything gets more valuable except money"--Princeton's Online dictionary.
Put here because it made me laugh.

Quote from: Gumba Masta on July 02, 2010, 07:35:19 AM
So I got the wording wrong. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Don't remember how you could put YouTube videos in here, so I can't really give you the obvious follow up.

Quote from: VectorM on July 03, 2010, 02:55:38 AM
Don't remember how you could put YouTube videos in here, so I can't really give you the obvious follow up.

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sAn7baRbhx4&amp;hl=de_DE&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sAn7baRbhx4&amp;hl=de_DE&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

"Is it just me, or does Stefan Molyneux's voice sound like it's computer generated?"--Shane Killian Comment on this video

"It would seem that the correct prejudice to hold when reading any science story in any non scientific journal is to assume it's utter bullshit."--morganbath, highest rated comment on this video