Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"When something becomes illegal, consumer demand does not vanish."--Danny G. LeRoy, mises.org/daily/4429
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"Immigration is only a problem in the context of a state. Without taxes, nobody would care where each of the 300 million people living in your geographical area were born.

At most, the most bigoted ones would care about where their neighbors were born."--zuiprax, on [yt]XSHSN9NEv88[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"Here's the first rule of bullshit: If somebody says 'There ought to be a law...', there probably oughtn't."
--Penn Jillette, from the Endangered Species episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit!
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

Quote from: valvatica on May 28, 2010, 01:42:29 AM
"Here's the first rule of bullshit: If somebody says 'There ought to be a law...', there probably oughtn't."
--Penn Jillette, from the Endangered Species episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit!
Pure win. :D

Ludwig von Mises: "It is the typical policy of Après nous le déluge. Lord Keynes, the champion of this policy, says: In the long run we are all dead. But unfortunately nearly all of us outlive the short run. We are destined to spend decades paying for the easy money orgy of a few years." - Omnipotent Government

Ludwig von Mises: "There is no kind of freedom and liberty other than the kind which the market economy brings about. In a totalitarian hegemonic society the only freedom that is left to the individual, because it cannot be denied to him, is the freedom to commit suicide." - Human Action

"it's not that hard for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. you'd just need a really sharp blender and a really small hose."--dsaerno

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on January 09, 2010, 03:07:01 AM"The definition of freedom is not complicated.  Freedom means that which the government does not control.  You are free when the government cannot steal your income, when it cannot tell you what to say or with whom you may or may not associate.  You are free when the government cannot take your kids and send them to far-flung wars to kill and be killed.  You are free when you control your life, your property, your church, your business, and your future.  You are free when the government cannot inflate away your savings, tax away your profits, lay waste to your dividends by regimenting corporate life, or controlling how much of what you buy and sell and from where." - Lew Rockwell

In retrospect, this might also be part fail quote as well.
Freedom is absence of the initiation of force.
Are you free as a thief robs you and/or threatens your life?
I would hope not.
While the state is easily one of the biggest causes of not being free, it is certainly not the only one.

May 30, 2010, 10:49:55 AM #381 Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:56:45 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
"If you're going to point out failures of the free market, make sure the failures are actually caused BY the free market, and not by intervention of the sort you yourself are advocating."--Me, inspired from shanedk

"If you're going to point out why evolution can't happen, make sure these flaws are actually something the scientists believe, not your own strawman."--Me, inpired from TheriminTrees

Ludwig von Mises: "Capital is not a free gift of God or of nature. It is the outcome of a provident restriction of consumption on the part of man. It is created and increased by saving and maintained by the abstention from dissaving." - The Anti-Capitalistic Mentality

"Government has no power to eliminate scarcity."--Gary Galles

This whole speech is a fav quote:

[yt]pRBdKMitPIg[/yt]

Part 2:

[yt]GmqXS5XSn10[/yt]

"Blaming the free market for recessions is like blaming gravity for plane crashes." --Anyone know who said this? I've heard it for many years, but never knew where it originated from.

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 04, 2010, 04:57:26 PM"Blaming the free market for recessions is like blaming gravity for plane crashes." --Anyone know who said this? I've heard it for many years, but never knew where it originated from.

I have no idea.
But wasn't it, "Blaming greed for recessions is like blaming gravity for plane crashes."?
Your quote didn't give any google results (with the quotes), but mine gave two.  Of course, it was just a newspaper comment or two with no credit given to who first said it.

I imagine there are tons of iterations. I can't remember what form I first heard it, it was so long ago.

June 04, 2010, 06:32:27 PM #387 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:58:18 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
To answer your question, no, I don't know where it first came from. :(

"I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa"--The best part of that Monty Python "Lumberjack" song.

Quote from: MrBogosity on June 04, 2010, 04:57:26 PM
"Blaming the free market for recessions is like blaming gravity for plane crashes." --Anyone know who said this? I've heard it for many years, but never knew where it originated from.

I first heard it from Stefan Molyneux but I believe he was quoting someone else.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Epic Fav Quote: