Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Then again is there ever anything that HE likes?

Quote from: Whycantivote on April 29, 2010, 04:51:46 PMThe UKIP isn't any better than the other parties. They talk about reform but it doesn't sound like they'll reduce government spending or decrease the government's power by a significant amount. Their immigration policy is draconian.

Yeah, I can only conclude that the word "libertarian" means a different thing over there.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 29, 2010, 07:11:34 PM
Yeah, I can only conclude that the word "libertarian" means a different thing over there.

In Europe many small, euroskeptic conservative parties will refer to themselves as libertarian. Those parties invariably have extremist, xenophobic immigration policies -normally in the name of defending "Judeo-Christian culture"- but will endorse minor public spending cuts, or will endorse public spending cuts only slightly larger than those proposed by the mainstream parties, in order to justify their use of the word libertarian (although by their logic even Margaret Thatcher is a libertarian). They also avoid issues such as drug legalization or privatization of public services and usually favour an expansion of the military -the UKIP wants to increase the military budget by 40%.

An actual libertarian party in the EU would probably need to refer to itself as a "capitalist liberal" party (the word "liberal" doesn't have the same implications in the EU as it does in the USA).

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 29, 2010, 07:11:34 PM

You say Tomato, I say Luftwaffe.

May 03, 2010, 02:40:12 PM #334 Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:53:30 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on April 29, 2010, 03:57:16 PMWell, Richard "The Dick" Coughlan didn't like that:

[yt]ul6oLw-a8uE[/yt]

Pat Condell responds:
[yt]2LTKzg1K7Es[/yt]

I find it ironic that he claims the United State Constitution is, "The greatest document ever written." Yet holds mob rule (democracy) on such high merit.  I suspect he hasn't read the constitution, and/or is paying lip service to the ideals of a constitutional republic.

"Democracy is not freedom.  It is mob rule; a tyranny where the majority imposes their will--at gunpoint--on the minority.
It is a god that fails everytime it is tried; from the Greek city states to Rome after the fall of their republic.  In practice it is shown to be the biggest empowerment to special interests and power seeking politicians there is."--Me on Democracy.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Let me see if I understand him correctly:

Sure, the UKIP are a bunch of deranged lunatics who want to pass dangerous legislation, but at least they want to keep a form of government in Britain that allows you to oppose them and defend yourself against them, as opposed to the other parties, who are a bunch of deranged lunatics who want to pass dangerous legislation and STOP you from opposing them and defending yourself against them.

Do I have that right?

I don't think you have to extra call politicians dangerous lunatics. That's pretty much a given.
But yeah, that's pretty much how I understood his argument.

May 03, 2010, 10:26:28 PM #337 Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:37:06 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on May 03, 2010, 03:35:41 PM

Sure, the UKIP are a bunch of deranged lunatics who want to pass dangerous legislation, but at least they want to keep a form of government in Britain that allows you to oppose them and defend yourself against them, as opposed to the other parties, who are a bunch of deranged lunatics who want to pass dangerous legislation and STOP you from opposing them and defending yourself against them.

Do I have that right?
Pretty much, only add "oppose the EU's threat to Britain's national sovereignty" to "oppose them" and you got it! :D
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 03, 2010, 03:35:41 PM

Do I have that right?

The UKIP wants to withdraw from the EU, close the borders and deport all illegal immigrants. They aren't going to implement a bill of rights, they aren't going to cut the £700Billion budget by any more than the other parties, they aren't going to change the House of Lords but they are going to move powers away from the devolved parliaments and back into Westminster and they are going to give themselves the authority to declare war.

The UKIP is little more than an extremist version of the Conservative party.

"Those of us that disagree with government regulations aren’t against refs and rules. We’re against a single monopoly of the rulemaking that has been repeatedly and almost universally captured by the very industries it supposedly “regulates” and used to harm consumers, restrict competition and erect barriers to entry in order to protect politically powerful incumbent corporations." --John Papola

A response to the 'Restore Stephen Baldwin' video I posted in the fail quotes: [yt]CKNqc3a9Xqs&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

May 16, 2010, 04:40:33 PM #343 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:40:33 AM by Travis Retriever
Unless otherwise stated, all of the following are from OKCupid's Militant-Mike1.
While his profile is fuckwin, he tends to have less-than-awesome grammar, which I will try to correct, but leave out for brevity.
Also, at one point he uses the f-word used as a derogatory slur for a homosexual to describe U.S. leftists, which I will edit out, due to Shane's rule against bigoted language.
The latter is also the reason why I have not posted his OKCupid profile's URL here.
What's more, because of the shear volume of words to be used, this will span several posts.
I hope you all enjoy these as much as I do. :)

"I do not surrender my treasures, nor do I share them. The fortune of my spirit is not to be blown into coins of brass and flung to the winds as alms for the poor of the spirit. I guard my treasures: my thought, my will, my freedom. And the greatest of these is freedom."

"Liberty is not negotiable. I will not allow you to pick and choose what liberties I am entitled to enjoy. Liberty is my natural right at birth. I will not compromise away the most precious thing I posses as a human being, Liberty. There can be no compromise with freedom and government control. To accept 'just a few' violations of liberty is to surrender the principle of inalienable individual rights. Likewise when there is a compromise between justice and injustice, the result is an injustice. When there is a compromise between rationality and irrationality, the result is irrational. When there is a compromise between integrity and hypocrisy, the result is hypocrisy. Therefore any compromise between freedom and slavery, results in slavery. If you wish to give up your liberty for safety or whatever else you think is worth that price, you are free to do so. You however have NO right to make this choice for me."

May 16, 2010, 04:44:31 PM #344 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:41:50 AM by Travis Retriever
"The good of 'society' has replaced the notion that the individual has a sacred right to live unmolested by government interference."
- Ron Paul

"I believe all human interaction should be voluntary; no exceptions. That even applies to those people calling themselves 'government'. Only the psychopaths of the world believe it's OK to shoot people to provide services. It doesn't matter what the service is; you don't shoot people to build roads or to pay for schools."
Or to provide health care.

"That two men have no more natural right to exercise any kind of authority over one, than one has to exercise the same authority over two. A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime, whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber (or by any other name indicating his true character), or by millions calling themselves a government." -- Lysander Spooner