Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 05, 2010, 11:00:12 PM #150 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:07:16 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"Emergence is science-y speak for awesomeness!" --Me
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Ludwig von Mises: "What makes natural science possible is the power to experiment; what makes social science possible is the power to grasp or to comprehend the meaning of human action." - Money, Method, and the Market Process
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"And of course,  if you're one of those woos who's just going to flame on without even attempting understanding what's going to be said, all I have to say is 'may your chains rest lightly upon you.'" --Shane Killian, Economic Basics Part 5: Unemployment

"Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'." --XKCD #552 (mouseover text)

ROFL!!!

"ANYONE who says that we've got a free market in the United States of America deserves to be laughed at for his stupidity and ignorance." --Me (possibly paraphrased from Shane)

"To retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not watch them in the making." --unnamed member of the Illinois state legislature (often attributed to Otto von Bismarck)

"The definition of freedom is not complicated.  Freedom means that which the government does not control.  You are free when the government cannot steal your income, when it cannot tell you what to say or with whom you may or may not associate.  You are free when the government cannot take your kids and send them to far-flung wars to kill and be killed.  You are free when you control your life, your property, your church, your business, and your future.  You are free when the government cannot inflate away your savings, tax away your profits, lay waste to your dividends by regimenting corporate life, or controlling how much of what you buy and sell and from where." - Lew Rockwell

"I always thought it was hypocritical of leftists to complain about the right enforcing morality in the bedroom when they themselves are trying to enforce morality in the wallet." –Shane Killian

"I didn't hear the conversations myself, but my understanding is some police were complaining about the lack of respect they were receiving at a recent protest regarding cannabis in Keene Central Square. I have some thoughts for cops who don't understand why you are becoming so universally despised.

It used to be somewhat safe to target young people. There were plenty of folks from an older generation when police were primarily peace officers, before you transitioned more and more into "law enforcement" officers and started viewing everyone, especially younger people, as potential law breakers instead of as the people you were trying to protect from a small number of truly dangerous criminals in the population. You had easy brownie points with that older generation. Many of them didn't fit the profile for your law enforcement and when they hear about police abuse, they tend to assume it's an isolated case. When mostly younger people are targeted for victimless crimes, they assume they deserved it.

Times have changed and they will continue to change. Those older generations who remember the good ole days are passing away. They've been replaced by people who have been targeted for petty harassment over victimless crimes many times or at least know people who have. They see you as predators rather than protectors, and rightly so. They are merely following a healthy instinct for self-preservation when they fear you, and when they fear you, they naturally hate you. I try not to hate you myself, but I admit it takes effort.

I would like for a dialogue to remain open between police and the growing numbers in the population who disapprove of what you have become. I know it sounds insincere considering I make fun of people in my comics, but I generally stick to representative fictional characters unless a particular individual has earned special recognition. Generally, while I stand up for my rights, I try to show respect in hopes that the same respect will one day be returned." --Dale Everett

January 09, 2010, 07:11:31 PM #159 Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:37:26 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"'Accept as your savior our Lord Jesus Christ or your soul will burn in Hell for all eternity!'

'Acknowledge the authority of an aggressive state or all of society will descend into violence and chaos!'" --Dale Everett, making fun of the appeal to fear often used in place of reasoned logic, and noting the parallel between religion and state dogma.

"Think about it." --cdk007

This was a good one when I said that communism is a top down system.

QuoteI would dispute this. The examples of China and of other single party governments we have at the moment are one of several different variants thereof, and do fit your description. Communism as it's core theory is definitely not top down....

To which I responded that communism needs a central authority or it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

"Hey you making the pies. You have to share them out with the rest of the people in town to be fair."

"Oh? Do you have any authority to make me?"

"No"

"Well fuck off then!"
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"@AkiRa22084: There are scientific achievements all over the world. Anyone can learn about any scientific achievement by going on the Internet. Yet not all societies are prosperous. Hence science is not sufficient. Only saving and investment can bring disembodied science to life, and it is the free market that makes these things possible." --DRNevans on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-LJ3wZjD4I

I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in here or the fail quotes.

What do you guys think and why?

Well, not everyone has internet access. But he has a point: it can be as expensive to read, understand, and learn to use a scientific advance as it was to make the advance to begin with. You need economic wealth to make this happen.

The concept of individual liberty led both to the free market and wealthy economies, and to scientific advancement. That's not a coincidence.

Agreed.
Then it's settled:  the quote is a fav, not a fail.

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 12, 2010, 06:30:10 AMThe concept of individual liberty led both to the free market and wealthy economies, and to scientific advancement. That's not a coincidence.
Try telling that to thunderf00t, or the members of the LeagueofReason forums.
:P