Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"Liberty cannot be imposed on anybody, only Tyranny can. If Liberty is given, then the last man on Earth would be in chains." --FlowCell
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"

"I know we all agree that we ought to love one another, but I know that there are people out there who do not love their fellow human beings, and I HATE people like that!" --Tom Lehrer

"If you don't hear from me in a month, send dinner." --The king of Hyrule (via sentence mixing on a youtube poop)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

More Tom Lehrer:

"I find enough mystery in mathematics to satisfy my spiritual needs. I think, for example, that pi is mysterious enough (don't get me started!) without having to worry about God. Or if pi isn't enough, how about fractals? or quantum mechanics?"

"I do have a cause though. It's obscenity. I'm for it!"

"One problem that recurs more and more frequently these days, in books and plays and movies, is the inability of people to communicate with the people they love: husbands and wives who can't communicate, children who can't communicate with their parents, and so on. And the characters in these books and plays and so on, and in real life, I might add, spend hours bemoaning the fact that they can't communicate. I feel that if a person can't communicate, the very least he can do is to shut up."

"The real issues I don't think most people touch. The Clinton jokes are all about Monica Lewinsky and all that stuff and not about the important things, like the fact that he wouldn't ban landmines."

"I think my target was not so much evil, but benign stupidity: people doing stupid things without realizing or, instead, thinking they were doing good."

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 22, 2009, 04:53:55 PMMore Tom Lehrer:

"I find enough mystery in mathematics to satisfy my spiritual needs. I think, for example, that pi is mysterious enough (don't get me started!) without having to worry about God. Or if pi isn't enough, how about fractals? or quantum mechanics?"
I think I like this guy.
He must be even more fascinated with Euler's Identity:  e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"In the Bible, there's The Old Testament, and The New Testament, but the New Testament's 2000 years old. I think it should be called The Old Testament and The Slightly More Recent Testament." --Steven Wright

People tend to think us Jedi can do no wrong but we all know it's not like that at all.  I'm not just talking about how we can fall to the dark side either.  I mean sure, yes that is proof of our fallibility but I mean how even the purest, most noble, robe wearing jedi can act with nothing but the best of intentions and still get it completely wrong - Jole, Knights of the Old Republic
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

H.L. Mencken:

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary."

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

"Progress: The process whereby the human race has got rid of whiskers, the vermiform appendix  and God."

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong."

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos."

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-bye to the Bill of Rights."

"Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty—and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies."

"I believe in only one thing and that thing is human liberty. If ever a man is to achieve anything like dignity, it can happen only if superior men are given absolute freedom to think what they want to think and say what they want to say. I am against any man and any organization which seeks to limit or deny that freedom."

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."

"Just because something is imaginary, doesn't mean it isn't real!" --The dude from the Imagination Land Episode of South Park.

"Drugs are bad, MKay?" --Mr. Mackey on South Park, and me on Shane's Drug War videos. :P

If we're doing cartoon characters:

"Facts—I'm sick of facts! You can use them to prove anything that's even REMOTELY true!" —Homer Simpson

Shane?
I think you already posted that. :P

"I love the feel of grain
The screams of a man in pain
Blood coming down like rain, showering me!

That everlasting thrill
During the final kill
Body dumped in a landfill
Got off Scot free." --Brown Ferret, Ferrets, by Jason Steele

Bah, it's hard to keep track in a 7-page thread...

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 23, 2009, 07:39:37 PM
Bah, it's hard to keep track in a 7-page thread...
You must love that quote.

"Ich bin ein Berliner."  --JFK

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on December 23, 2009, 07:52:14 PM
You must love that quote.

"Ich bin ein Berliner."  --JFK

"Essen mein scheise gehen."- Random German dude to Cartman's mom in "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut".

"[Blackadder has just unwittingly slammed the door in the faces of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert]
Ebeneezer Blackadder: I am not at home to guests!
Prince Albert: I flatter myzelf ve are llather special guests, sir.
Ebeneezer Blackadder: Oh, of course, I must apologize! It isn't often that one receives a Christmas visit from two such distinguished guests.
Prince Albert: Ah, zo you llecognize us at last!
Ebeneezer Blackadder: Yes! Unless I'm very much mistaken, you're the winner of the 'Round Britain Shortest Fattest Dumpiest Woman Competition. And for her to be accompanied by the winner of this year's Stupidest Accent Award is really quite overwhelming.
Queen Victoria: [inaudible exclamation]
Ebenezer Blackadder: Cork it, fatso! Don't you realise that this is the Victorian Age, where apart from Queen Piglet-Features herself, women and children are to be seen and not heard!
Prince Albert: Queen Piglet-Features!
Ebenezer Blackadder: Yes! "Empress Oink," us lads call her. The only person in the kingdom who looks dafter than her is that stupid Frankfurter of a husband. "The Pig and the Prig," we call them. How they ever managed to produce their one hundred and twelve children is quite beyond me. The bed-chambers of Buckingham Palace must be copiously supplied with blindfolds!
Queen Victoria: Why, we've never been so insulted in our entire lives!
Ebenezer Blackadder: Well, all I can say is 'you've been damned lucky!'"

From The Blackadder Christmas Carol