Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It dawns on me: to revere a country's leader, is to make him an idol--to worship a man. Is this why so many people support Trump? that, in a strange way, men worship each other?

OK, wasn't my idea. It was the idea of the guy who did this:

[yt]xMIr7rB19Gw[/yt]

Here we see the King of Morocco being greeted by his subjects (servants at court and the like). The person who uploaded the video brilliantly dubbed over a pre-Islamic chant, of the tribe of 'akk.

A similar dub--this time of Egyptians going around a picture of al-sisi...I'll leave you to figure out what this reminds me of:

[yt]lUnjPpEs_1g[/yt]

Here are the lyrics:

[spoiler]
"we are the two crows (blacks) of 'akk
'akk comes to you in submission
your yemeni servants
so we may go on pilgrimage again"

There's also a refrain, that goes like this:

"we have heeded your call Oh Hubal
we have heeded you filled with hope
praise to you! thanks to you! all to you! we submit to you!"[/spoiler]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"Your car is Japanese. Your Vodka is Russian. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your democracy is Greek. Your coffee is Brazilian. Your movies are American. Your Beers are German. Your shirt is Indian. Your oil is Saudi Arabian. Your electronics are Chinese. Your numbers -Arabic, your letters -Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is an immigrant?"

Posted from our own Dave, a while back in the unnamed fallacy thread. n.n
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Two instances of trolling of SJW's.

Firstly, we have Sargon trolling the SPLC by reporting an instance of hatespeech against Kekistanis...by the SPLC.

[yt]NvzCHVOWYuc[/yt]

And a very long examination by TL;DR of an epic fake gender studies paper in the style of the 1996 Sokal trolling of Social Text (complete with fake researcher names, a fake research organization, and fake references to fake papers in fake journals generated by the Postmodern Generator, a website created years ago that spews out an algorithmically generated fake social science paper using a method based on Sokal's every time it's reloaded) published in what is claimed to be a respectable social science journal, after a review that was claimed to include a careful check of references.

[yt]Q0MLyFHTSu4[/yt]

Quote from: evensgrey on May 29, 2017, 01:19:18 PM
Two instances of trolling of SJW's.

Firstly, we have Sargon trolling the SPLC by reporting an instance of hatespeech against Kekistanis...by the SPLC.

[yt]NvzCHVOWYuc[/yt]

And a very long examination by TL;DR of an epic fake gender studies paper in the style of the 1996 Sokal trolling of Social Text (complete with fake researcher names, a fake research organization, and fake references to fake papers in fake journals generated by the Postmodern Generator, a website created years ago that spews out an algorithmically generated fake social science paper using a method based on Sokal's every time it's reloaded) published in what is claimed to be a respectable social science journal, after a review that was claimed to include a careful check of references.

[yt]Q0MLyFHTSu4[/yt]
The first one is pure win.  Seriously, fuck the SPLC. 
The second one had me fooled.  I didn't watch the video, so I thought it was a real study when I first saw it on his channel!  Poe's Law strikes yet again!

Quote from: Travis Retriever on June 03, 2017, 07:24:38 PM
The first one is pure win.  Seriously, fuck the SPLC. 
The second one had me fooled.  I didn't watch the video, so I thought it was a real study when I first saw it on his channel!  Poe's Law strikes yet again!

The SPLC is quite a piece of work, I'll agree.

Reading the comments to the article TL;DR worked from is instructive.  There are a lot of people trying to condemn the paper's authors on some vague basis that they didn't troll gender studies because the journal they submitted it to didn't publish it because it was detected to be nonsense.  The problem with that claim is that it cannot be correct as they referred the paper to another journal.  The policy indicates that simply not being able to understand a paper isn't grounds for rejecting the paper, so a paper being intentional nonsense isn't going to get it rejected as long as it looks like it should be coherent if you know what it's talking about.  There were LOTS of excellent grounds for rejecting the paper (the fact that the authors, their organization, and many of the cited papers and the journals they appeared in simply don't exist and can be easily verified to not exist all being excellent reasons), they didn't actually check any of them.

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."—Frédéric Bastiat

Had this one in my Twitter feed recently enough:

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics." -- Thomas Sowell

This is the sort of thing which cannot be taught enough times. Opportunity cost and whatnot.
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

As usual for Blaire, the whole video is made of win, but the bit I like best is at 4:28.

[yt]SYyCRFIRyk0?t[/yt]

It is so nice to know I'm not the only person who thinks that.  The real question is when will it dawn on the other SJWs that he might be doing that?

OK, I just finished watching the video of Ben Shapiro's talk at Berkley last night.  As per usual, pretty good stuff, for the most part.  (Well, yes, there's things I disagree with him on, but that's no big deal.

[yt]aP_9cRUzqMw[/yt]

What's got me to put it here is the last thing the last person in the Q&A session said.  Did it just sound to you like he used the opportunity to try and get Lauren Southern's phone number?

Quote from: evensgrey on March 22, 2016, 10:48:37 PM
And proving just how inept the UK government is when it comes to the internet...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/300-million-polar-ship-could-be-named-boaty-mcboatface-/65277/

They ask on the internet for suggestions for their new, extremely advanced research icebreaker.  The leading name is 'Boaty McBoatface', with two others (Usain Boat and Its Bloody Cold Here) being almost as silly.

I suspect they might select one of the more conventional entries, like David Attenboroug or Henry Worsley, but we can hope for Pillar Of Autumn.

And an update on Moaty McBoatface:  As I suspected, they named the ship the Sir David Attenborough, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boaty_McBoatface

They did name the lead vessel of the small fleet of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) this ship is to carry the Boaty McBoatface.

It's too bad that Iain M. Banks is gone, he was fond of using humorous names to poke fun at people, like critics who said his books lacked 'gravitas', so he had  bunch of ships in his next book with names about not having gravitas.  I think he would have found it quite ammusing, and probably have put a reference to it in a book.

Quote from: evensgrey on November 05, 2017, 10:19:00 AM
And an update on Moaty McBoatface:  As I suspected, they named the ship the Sir David Attenborough, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boaty_McBoatface

They did name the lead vessel of the small fleet of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) this ship is to carry the Boaty McBoatface.

It's too bad that Iain M. Banks is gone, he was fond of using humorous names to poke fun at people, like critics who said his books lacked 'gravitas', so he had  bunch of ships in his next book with names about not having gravitas.  I think he would have found it quite ammusing, and probably have put a reference to it in a book.

Personally, I would have preferred naming the boat Richard Attenborough, and the lead AUV "Lauderdale" (since that would be--at least to me--as farcical as what actually happened).

[yt]qzKTOUkroU0[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar; you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."—Tyrion

Wherein Sargon admits to an entirely understandable error in assuming a video critical of the Alt-Right was false-flagged by the Alt-Right instead of the Eastern European leftist it apparently was false flagged by...

[yt]1hKc14rzheg[/yt]

...and then straight up calls out the Alt-Right for acting indistinguishably from the SJWs (and why would they be distinguishable, identity politics is identity politics).

Since we're close to the 40th anniversary of it as I write this, here's a little something Carl Sagan did before Cosmos:

[yt-list]PLzEZRwmmqC4FTciK3pyF2JsuSFyiysVYM[/yt-list]

And shame on the Royal Institution for, as far as I can tell, not having these on their own channel, AND not having playlists for the Christmas Lectures series that they do have up on their own channel.