Author Topic: Fav quotes  (Read 1141614 times)

evensgrey

• Sarcasitron collider
  • Bogometer: -41
    • View Profile
Re: Fav quotes
« Reply #4950 on: November 07, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »
does the video work for you guys ?

No, it's just throwing me an error.  The embedding probably doesn't like the annotation references you've included.  I've seen even the most basic URL features (like a start time offset) not work in YouTube embeddings here.

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4951 on: November 08, 2015, 03:02:39 PM »
does the video work for you guys ?

It does now that I fixed the embed. ;)

BlameThe1st

• Bogon shield
  • Bogometer: -22
    • View Profile
    • BlameThe1st
« Reply #4952 on: November 20, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »

This video would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that far too many people didn't think education should be like this. (Looking at you, Tumblr!)

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

evensgrey

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: December 08, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
Rather a nice deconstruction of a Feminist complaint disguised as a (superficially) reasonable one:

Sexy armor complained about as being unrealistic, compared to World of Warcraft armors that do not generate complaints about their lack of realism, despite the fact that they would, in fact, kill their wearers if you somehow made armors that looked like that.

Incidentally, is that last video BlameThe1st embedded part of a series?  I know I've seen that Uncanny Valley girl in a clip from another, similarly themed video recently.

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4954 on: December 08, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
Incidentally, is that last video BlameThe1st embedded part of a series?  I know I've seen that Uncanny Valley girl in a clip from another, similarly themed video recently.

Not a series, but that channel has a bunch of short films in it.

Ibrahim90

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -44
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: December 13, 2015, 11:21:01 PM »
A funny conversation with dad (loosely translated):

Dad: so is the market for oil still bad where you are?

I: yeah.

Dad: what's causing it you think? you're in the business.

I: Oh, well, according to all the reports and news I read from LinkedIn, rigzone, even some Youtube Channels* and my company's pamphlet, the Saudis are said to be trying to drive out the US market from competing with them, as the US have gained an advantage due to their new technology**. The Saudis lower it, the US responds and survives, the Saudis keep doing it, and it all goes downhill

Dad (laughing): You know Ibrahim, they're telling me the exact opposite here: that America's driving down the oil prices as an assault on the Arab world, to destroy its economy***

I (Laughing): Really?

Dad: With how news contradicts itself between America and home, it's hard to say which is telling the truth these days: America or the Arabs?

I: Maybe it's both--or neither.

Dad: both or neither...makes more sense.

*here I refer to Test tube and Seeker daily.
**Fracking in other words.
***It's a sad reflection of the state of affairs back home when everything America does is seen as a conspiracy against the Arab world...Israel is an equally viable object of blame (like how many blame them for ISIS: an uncle swears that the "Caliph" is a Mossad agent..)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:23:11 PM by Ibrahim90 »
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

libertarian__revolution

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -8
  • Grasshopper in Fighting Bogostiy
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
    • Email
« Reply #4956 on: December 13, 2015, 11:33:58 PM »
"The good of 'society' has replaced the notion that the individual has a sacred right to live unmolested by government interference."
- Ron Paul

"I believe all human interaction should be voluntary; no exceptions. That even applies to those people calling themselves 'government'. Only the psychopaths of the world believe it's OK to shoot people to provide services. It doesn't matter what the service is; you don't shoot people to build roads or to pay for schools."
Or to provide health care.

"That two men have no more natural right to exercise any kind of authority over one, than one has to exercise the same authority over two. A man's natural rights are his own, against the whole world; and any infringement of them is equally a crime, whether committed by one man, or by millions; whether committed by one man, calling himself a robber (or by any other name indicating his true character), or by millions calling themselves a government." -- Lysander Spooner

Seconded
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat.

Dallas Wildman

• Bogon shield
  • Bogometer: -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: December 19, 2015, 02:36:34 AM »
Why you shouldn't try to argue semantics.

Of course the twin tower beams didn't "melt", they got so fucking hot they lost their strength.
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

evensgrey

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
Stephan's conversation with Barbara Oakley, an engineering professor at Oakland University, who has done a lot of work on learning and pathological altruism.  That later is the basis of quite a lot of the well-intended stuff that causes much of the worst of the world's troubles.  (When the trouble isn't being caused by people who are actively disinterested in the consequences of their actions on others.)

evensgrey

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: December 26, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »
OK, I think we can officially say Russians have a really great sense of humor on the basis of this video, one of MANY of the same subject, on a whole bunch of channels, apparently all originating from Russia:

There's a clip in another one of a kid who tries to throw a Molotov cocktail, and ends up setting HIMSELF on fire.  I think the the best two in this one are back to back:  A guy takes a swing at someone in a panda costume crossing a bridge, gets knocked down, tries to grapple the person in the panda costume and gets thrown off the bridge, followed by a group of what look like students forcing what looks like an administrator through an office of some sort, then them running the other way, followed by the possible administrator who now has a hatchet.

Ibrahim90

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: December 31, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »
https://imgflip.com/i/wne9z

This is my commentary on the Democratic Party's current selection of lead condidates. I intend to make one for the GOP.

here's my take on New Year's day resolutions:

https://imgflip.com/i/wndys
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:03:31 PM by Ibrahim90 »
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

libertarian__revolution

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
    • Email
« Reply #4961 on: January 11, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »

A very good video from the young turks

That's not very common:
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat.

libertarian__revolution

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
    • Email
« Reply #4962 on: January 16, 2016, 12:10:01 AM »
This one's for you, Shane:
   bogosity
The degree to which something is bogus. Bogosity is measured with a bogometer; in a seminar, when a speaker says something bogus, a listener might raise his hand and say “My bogometer just triggered”. More extremely, “You just pinned my bogometer” means you just said or did something so outrageously bogus that it is off the scale, pinning the bogometer needle at the highest possible reading (one might also say “You just redlined my bogometer”). The agreed-upon unit of bogosity is the microLenat.
Bush's claim that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (WMD) pegged my bogometer at 1000 microLenats, producing bogosity of Biblical proportion - Urban Dictionary

Ibrahim90

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: January 19, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »
An accurate description of politics--particularly modern politics--from the 12th century:

Oh Sultan! the danger of the state is great, and its tread mighty. So the Sultan must ever yearn to speak to the scholars, and must always take care to listen to their advice. And he must beware the "scholars of ill" who have a care for this life; for they only praise you and make you proud and aim only to please you, covetous of what is in your hands of the slag of ruin, and the torrent of the forbidden, so as to get something from you with cunning and trickery...

the Scholar is he who does not covet your money, and is just to you in admonition and speech.

just replace scholar with expert, think tank, lobbyist, or something similar, and you'll see the win.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:58:21 PM by Ibrahim90 »

-Jesse Cox

Dukect45

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -7
  • Trying to be a better person
    • View Profile
    • Dukect Productions
    • Email
« Reply #4964 on: January 21, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »
A very good video about Adaptive Gaming from Tyger the host of Mud2mmo