Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
 I'm a little confuse don the contredictions between the animated film and Mass Effect 3

Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

May 18, 2015, 04:35:12 PM #4832 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:54:20 PM by Travis Retriever
"2.) WHICH DO YOU PREFER, LIFTING FOR HYPERTROPHY OR FOR STRENGTH?

I prefer both, because you need to do both to maximize either. The research on non-linear undulating periodization indicates that in order to maximize long term hypertrophy you need to do some strength training and to maximize long term strength gain you must use some hypertrophy targeted training in order to optimize muscle cross sectional area. So you can’t maximize either outcome without doing at least some of both. I always say that bodybuilders could learn a lot from powerlifters and vice versa. Unfortunately, both groups tend to look down their noses at the other, which is foolish and self centered."--Layne Norton, http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/
In those last two sentences, replace "bodybuilders" with "furries" and "powerlifters" with "bronies."  Seriously, the sibling rivaly/beef that powerlifters and bodybuilders often have reminds me of the brony and furry fandoms so much.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]B8l17B6KZn8[/yt]

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

May 21, 2015, 01:05:05 PM #4835 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:40:37 AM by MrBogosity
This is the best of this I've seen on YouTube, one of PDQ Bach's greatest:

[yt]_BvPwNlsFOY[/yt]

Although for those of you who are wondering if he really composed it to be played on a kazoo, don't be ridiculous. It's supposed to be played on two pieces of uncooked manicotti.

Here's a terrible recording of a performance with Peter Schickele himself:

[yt]4omW3Cp3qfQ[/yt]

The lyrics, if you're having trouble understanding them:

[spoiler]There was a jolly farmer and he worked from morn 'til night
He went to church on Sunday and he knew his wrong from right
He worked so hard he ended up with more than he could eat
He sold the rest so he could buy the shoes upon his feet

A friendly-looking stranger came a-riding up one day
"Hello," he said, "I want you all your crops to throw away"
"You're crazy!" said the farmer, "least, as far as I can tell"
"Don't worry," said the stranger, "I will pay you very well"

The farmer on the dole
The farmer on the dole
It's hi-ho spaghetti-o
The farmer on the dole

"The world is full of hunger," said the farmer, "This is wrong!"
"What happens if I tell you I refuse to go along?"
"Well, you'll be very sorry," said the stranger with a grin
"You can't get by without me and I won't be by again"

"I'll help you if you let me, if you don't I'll let you die"
"I guess I'll have to join you," said the farmer with a sigh
"You've made a wise decision," said the smoothly-talking man
"You never know when the fertilizer's going to hit the fan"

The farmer on the dole
The farmer on the dole
It's hi-ho spaghetti-o
The farmer on the dole

"Please sign upon the dotted line and throw your crops away"
"And if you never plant again, I'll still be glad to pay"
"I'm puzzled," said the farmer, "What the devil's going on?"
"You're getting warmer!" said the stranger as he vanished with a yawn

The moral of the story, please attend to very well
Exactly who the devil is, is often hard to tell
He may be short and ugly, or he may be fair and tall
He may just be the man for whom you voted in the fall

The farmer on the dole
The farmer on the dole
It's hi-ho spaghetti-o
The farmer on the dole[/spoiler]

The quote by the Tumblr Founder & CEO, not the whiner below his quote.
Yes, you read that right.  Even the site's creator hates what his site is.

"MGTOW is what happens when men stop thinking with their dicks."

Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 21, 2015, 10:58:02 PM

The quote by the Tumblr Founder & CEO, not the whiner below his quote.
Yes, you read that right.  Even the site's creator hates what his site is.

You can see that he too is angry by the use of "sexually repressed" as a qualifier ... Which is completely unwarranted in that context. But I would be pissed too if I were him.

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on May 22, 2015, 07:21:52 PM
You can see that he too is angry by the use of "sexually repressed" as a qualifier ... Which is completely unwarranted in that context. But I would be pissed too if I were him.
It makes sense that, if he hates what Tumblr has become, that he also will be angry with it. :-)

a lot of hinduism related comments over the last few months: aside from "I am become death, destroyer of Worlds", we now have:

"I am become angst, destroyer of fun" -Tumblr dounder (my condolences to him)

"I am become Anders, destroyer of plots" -Smudboy

"I am become *****, destroyer of trust" -Me, about recent...events...

"I am become hipsters, destroyer of open apartments in Logan" -long story here.

what gives?  :P
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 23, 2015, 10:05:03 PM
a lot of hinduism related comments over the last few months: aside from "I am become death, destroyer of Worlds", we now have:

That came from Hinduism? I did not know that. Awesome quotes btw. :-) What happend with you in the second to last one? O.o

May 24, 2015, 04:12:34 AM #4842 Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:55:44 AM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 23, 2015, 10:18:29 PM
That came from Hinduism? I did not know that. Awesome quotes btw. :-) What happend with you in the second to last one? O.o

yep--Oppenheimer was quoting the Bhagavad Gita: Vishnu said it IIRC.

As to your question? I don't want to talk about it. I just find it funny that a lot of things being said lately seem to be based on this one line XD

I will tell you about the last one: finding an apartment in Logan, UT, sucks...too many other Graduate Students moving in--I can't find a place without someone being approved of for moving in while I'm negotiating (or even after application).

never-mind that I don't have tuition support (or funding--aside from the money I've saved)*, and am also having trouble finding a job up there while I am studying: I'm starting to regret accepting that offer to go there--but I'm not getting any younger, and the sooner I can go there the sooner I can forget about the shit from the next to last part, and the sooner I am one step closer to my PhD...

btw, when is the next live chat thing? won't see me on camera, but I'd like to attend just once.

EDIT: I know, shameless, but anyone here want to relieve me of my Chevy Silverado? I tire of paying 500/month for it, and I need to cut on all my expenses.

*I only accepted on the understanding that my adviser, Dr. Lidell, ensure that I have funding for next year, so I can make the switch to a full program...didn't help that it was the only place that offered: all the others basically told me to shag off (though they did admit that it was a mistake...If they think so, why tell me no? meh...)...I do have money saved to pay for one semester though
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 24, 2015, 04:12:34 AMbtw, when is the next live chat thing? won't see me on camera, but I'd like to attend just once.

I was thinking Thursday maybe. We could go over this nonsense: http://johnquiggin.com/2011/04/16/i-pencil-a-product-of-the-mixed-economy/

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 23, 2015, 10:05:03 PM

That's funny because in a game of Cards Against Humanity, I got "I am become white privilege, destroyer of The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr."