Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"Libertarianism is not an ideology. It's the critique of ideology -- the notion that you or anyone knows how to run something as complex as a society. That said, libertarianism runs a spectrum of its own. Some libertarians run for office. On the other end some libertarians think voting is aiding and abetting the initiation of force. But they all agree on basically one thing... That "The State" does too much. Every libertarian wants to reduce the role of coercive force." —Jim Babka

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 30, 2015, 04:22:06 PM
"Libertarianism is not an ideology. It's the critique of ideology -- the notion that you or anyone knows how to run something as complex as a society. That said, libertarianism runs a spectrum of its own. Some libertarians run for office. On the other end some libertarians think voting is aiding and abetting the initiation of force. But they all agree on basically one thing... That "The State" does too much. Every libertarian wants to reduce the role of coercive force." —Jim Babka
Something similar could be said of atheism, it also being a negative philosophy. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."―Friedrich August von Hayek

"The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed, the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually slaves of some defunct economist." ―John Maynard Keynes
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"Once you grant the government some new power or authority, it becomes exponentially more difficult to roll it back. Regardless of how little value a program or power has been shown to have (such as the Section 215 dragnet interception of call records in the United States, which the government's own investigation found never stopped a single imminent terrorist attack despite a decade of operation), once it's a sunk cost, once dollars and reputations have been invested in it, it's hard to peel that back.

"Don't let it happen in your country."

—Edward Snowden

"Dem efforts to hand Hillary Clinton the nomination without contest are so depressing. She's the ultimate guardian of bipartisan status quo corruption, and no debate will happen if she's the nominee against some standard Romney/Bush-type GOP candidate. Some genuine dissenting force is crucial." —Gleen Greenwald

"When we look back on history, the progress of Western civilization and human rights is actually founded on the violation of law. America was of course born out of a violent revolution that was an outrageous treason against the crown and established order of the day. History shows that the righting of historical wrongs is often born from acts of unrepentant criminality. Slavery. The protection of persecuted Jews.

"But even on less extremist topics, we can find similar examples. How about the prohibition of alcohol? Gay marriage? Marijuana?

"Where would we be today if the government, enjoying powers of perfect surveillance and enforcement, had -- entirely within the law -- rounded up, imprisoned, and shamed all of these lawbreakers?

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our agency in determing thour futures."

—Edward Snowden

[yt]fViSr3PRZqA[/yt]

Speaking as a disabled gamer I would have to say that Rockstar has done extremely well at balancing accessibility and quality. Mainly through the option to skip segments of missions if you're having trouble with them.doesn't really apply for online stuff like Halo, Call of Du ty, or Titenfall but I don't play online so meh. my one complaint with the industry in this regard is that most of hte visual novels and adventure games that I would ot herwise love to play are usually exclusive to handhelds. so all I'd really want is for Nintendo and other makers of handhelds to to follow Sony in allowing a Microconsole or like how y ou could play a GBA on a Gamecube. j ust give that option and a lot of the visually impaired fans would be VERY happy.

Quote from: tnu on April 02, 2015, 11:34:17 AM
Speaking as a disabled gamer I would have to say that Rockstar has done extremely well at balancing accessibility and quality. Mainly through the option to skip segments of missions if you're having trouble with them.doesn't really apply for online stuff like Halo, Call of Du ty, or Titenfall but I don't play online so meh. my one complaint with the industry in this regard is that most of hte visual novels and adventure games that I would ot herwise love to play are usually exclusive to handhelds. so all I'd really want is for Nintendo and other makers of handhelds to to follow Sony in allowing a Microconsole or like how y ou could play a GBA on a Gamecube. j ust give that option and a lot of the visually impaired fans would be VERY happy.

The problem with that being it increases costs on a product that they already lose money on.  (For the last several years, all consoles have sold for less than they cost to manufacture.  The manufacturers make up the money on the license fees game developers have to pay to get their games onto the consoles.  This is part of what keeps console game prices high.)  They would need to get the idea on their radar, then do a complex cost/benefit analysis to decide if they would make more money in license fees than it would cost to do.  JUST for visually impaired gamers, I doubt it would fly.  If lots of people wanted to play their handheld console games on their fixed console with the big screen and usually nicer controllers, then it would be fine.  (I don't know how old you are, but it was actually Nintendo that first did that, allowing you to play GB games on the SNES by way of an adapter.)

Quote from: evensgrey on April 02, 2015, 06:48:09 PM
The problem with that being it increases costs on a product that they already lose money on.  (For the last several years, all consoles have sold for less than they cost to manufacture.  The manufacturers make up the money on the license fees game developers have to pay to get their games onto the consoles.  This is part of what keeps console game prices high.)  They would need to get the idea on their radar, then do a complex cost/benefit analysis to decide if they would make more money in license fees than it would cost to do.  JUST for visually impaired gamers, I doubt it would fly.  If lots of people wanted to play their handheld console games on their fixed console with the big screen and usually nicer controllers, then it would be fine.  (I don't know how old you are, but it was actually Nintendo that first did that, allowing you to play GB games on the SNES by way of an adapter.)

Isn't it possible nowadays to plug any handheld console on any TV ? Sounds to me like it could be pretty mundane ...

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on April 02, 2015, 07:26:06 PM
Isn't it possible nowadays to plug any handheld console on any TV ? Sounds to me like it could be pretty mundane ...
You can do that nowadays? O.o

Quote from: Travis Retriever on April 02, 2015, 07:52:47 PM
You can do that nowadays? O.o

Is it sarcasm ? What am I missing ? The only thing needed is a video output on the console ...

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on April 02, 2015, 08:36:58 PM
Is it sarcasm ? What am I missing ? The only thing needed is a video output on the console ...
You said handheld.  I don't recall being able to plug my Gameboy Advance into my TV.  Nor have I bought a DS or 3DS, etc.

Quote from: Travis Retriever on April 02, 2015, 08:43:52 PM
You said handheld.  I don't recall being able to plug my Gameboy Advance into my TV.  Nor have I bought a DS or 3DS, etc.

Well, that's what I was asking. It sounds mundane to me because it's easy to do for a manufacturer. But I don't know if handheld consoles are equipped so I asked. What did you understand ?

Quote from: AdeptusHereticus on April 02, 2015, 08:49:20 PM
Well, that's what I was asking. It sounds mundane to me because it's easy to do for a manufacturer. But I don't know if handheld consoles are equipped so I asked. What did you understand ?
I thought you were being rhetorical though.