Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
That's crazy talk Simon.

Not so much a favorite quote, but rather a favorite (and surreal) moment in Far Cry 2:

so I'm playing Far Cry 2, and my rescue buddy, a character named Josip Idromeno, is reading a map inside what was believed to be a secured hut (thank you game...), braced against a wall.

My character--some Algerian dude--walks out to grab the glider right outside, carrying an RPG. As I am about to take it for a glide, I hear mumbling. I turn my character around, and there's this mercenary, half naked with an AK-47--I'd say 10 yards away. He starts shooting, but misses. Not thinking, I pull the trigger on my character's RPG. The merc is vaporized, as the shell blasts through him and into the ground a few yards behind him (so I'm unharmed).

However, there happened to be an ammunition crate there--right against the very wall Idromeno was leaning against inside the hut. This promptly goes up, with rounds going off every which way, and grenades detonating. I hear grumbles and moans, and think he's been wounded--killed even. I wait till the explosions stop, and walk into the door. The room is completely concealed in smoke--like something out of a Napoleonic battlefield; I cannot see even the outline of a body. As I slowly creep forward, the smoke clears slightly, and I see the silhouette of a standing man. As the Smoke clears further, I realize Idromeno is still standing there--totally unharmed--reading his map as if nothing happened.

turned out the groans were from another mercenary nearby who had be struck by the discharged rounds--hadn't even see him: he was found the corner behind the crate.

video games are weird....
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]xVYnQyZWlik[/yt]

Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

[yt]jY_ZlbjJIFE[/yt]

A justifiable reason to despise SJWs.

[yt]YMw39meKmzY[/yt]

Quoteif the social contract is real then it means anytime anyone commits a crime against you the government has breached your contract.

Quote from: tnu on March 10, 2015, 09:24:03 PM
if the social contract is real then it means anytime anyone commits a crime against you the government has breached your contract.

Or whenever government spies on you or does any number of the things that it does on a daily basis. I've often asked how government has not well and truly breached the contract by now!

[yt]JBYMA57yC68&t=112[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

March 12, 2015, 12:53:03 AM #4691 Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:08:08 AM by Ibrahim90
[yt]ddmQz5uYcL0[/yt]

Love that insane Canadian (who is of Italian descent). Got to also give respect the Dutch fellow he is with--not everyday I see a Dutch fellow with a backbone.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: ArtemisVale on March 11, 2015, 10:36:50 PM
[yt]JBYMA57yC68&t=112[/yt]

It seems to me that tyranny is generally justified two ways:

One is by pointing to an oppressed or marginalized group (regardless of whether they actually are oppressed or marginalized) and saying that they're helpless and need protection, even though most of them are perfectly capable of protecting themselves if only they're set free to do it.

The other is by pointing to hobgoblins that threaten our freedom or our way of life, and regardless of whether or not they actually exist promote doing all the things that wouldn't do anything to protect us from them anyway.

Seems to me Sarkeesian and the rest of the anti-GG crowd is doing both!

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 12, 2015, 07:17:55 AM
It seems to me that tyranny is generally justified two ways:

One is by pointing to an oppressed or marginalized group (regardless of whether they actually are oppressed or marginalized) and saying that they're helpless and need protection, even though most of them are perfectly capable of protecting themselves if only they're set free to do it.

The other is by pointing to hobgoblins that threaten our freedom or our way of life, and regardless of whether or not they actually exist promote doing all the things that wouldn't do anything to protect us from them anyway.

Seems to me Sarkeesian and the rest of the anti-GG crowd is doing both!

Glad you added the bit at the bottom of that post.  As I was going to note the same thing!  Those two don't seem mutually exclusive at all.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on March 12, 2015, 09:05:59 PM
Glad you added the bit at the bottom of that post.  As I was going to note the same thing!  Those two don't seem mutually exclusive at all.

They're not mutually exclusive.  In fact, they're complimentary:  If there are 'helpless' people needing 'protection', it follows directly that there needs to be someone to 'protect' against, and someone who gains from advocating for the 'protection' doesn't want anything that actually works to be done because if it did work, their power base would be gone.