Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 28, 2009, 08:11:30 PM #45 Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:14:01 PM by Lord T Hawkeye
Quote from: MrBogosity on September 28, 2009, 06:59:23 AM
Well, I guess if you want great last words, be sure to take them from Shakespeare!

Dinobot quoted Shakespeare a lot in the show.  Really interesting considering he doesn't at first strike you as the artsy type.

"A perfect world, the promise of every fascist..." - Spiderman

"I wish you intelligence.  I would wish you luck but that runs out sooner than you think" - Archmage Thalantyr

"Who is more the fool?  The man who sits in his old chair enjoying the sunshine or the man who labors long for a fine new chair he might get to sit in some day?" - Halfling proverb

"Victory favors neither the righteous nor the wicked.  It favors the prepared" - unknown

"A man creates, a parasite says 'where's my share?'  A man builds, a parasite says 'what will the neighbours think?'  A man invents, a parasite says 'careful, you may be stepping on the toes of God'" - Andrew Ryan
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

September 29, 2009, 09:44:57 AM #46 Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:01:33 PM by Virgil0211
Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on September 28, 2009, 08:11:30 PM
Dinobot quoted Shakespeare a lot in the show.  Really interesting considering he doesn't at first strike you as the artsy type.

Well, he was one of my favorite characters. I'm afraid I was too young to be aware of the Shakespeare references at the time. Blame bad public schooling. =P

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul. – George Bernard Shaw

America needs fewer laws, not more prisons. – James Bovard

War is just one more big government program. – Joseph Sobran

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. – John Adams (1814)

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.– Benjamin Franklin

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation. – Thomas B. Reed (1886)

If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all. – Jacob Hornberger (1995)

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates. – Tacitus

Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. – George Washington

Quote from: Virgil0211 on September 29, 2009, 09:44:57 AMThey that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin

Okay, now you've gone and hit a button...It's "Those who would give up..." Why would Benjamin Franklin, an incredibly intelligent man and one of the greatest writers who ever lived, use such horribly bad grammar as that?

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 29, 2009, 10:24:15 AM
Okay, now you've gone and hit a button...It's "Those who would give up..." Why would Benjamin Franklin, an incredibly intelligent man and one of the greatest writers who ever lived, use such horribly bad grammar as that?

Oops! Sorry! I'll fix it. I guess I really am a bit out of it. >.<

It's okay, a lot of people quote it that way, for some reason.

"We have once again arrived at a moment in history where the truth can be defined as 'that which you can make other people believe.' The methodology for creating that belief is repetition. Say something enough times and it becomes, for millions of people, the truth. I am endowed like a stallion. This is why control of the media equals control of the populace. I am endowed like a stallion. And also why a state run television news channel is so very dangerous. I am endowed like a stallion. Now there are those who would argue this has already happened and that a certain cable news channel is actually a covert extension of our government. I am endowed like a stallion. The fact that the channel is run by a high-ranking party official, an anchor person from the channel became a White House spokesman, and another top-ranking party official became an on-air news commentator is often used to make this argument. I am endowed like a stallion. Of course, this fact would be entirely inconsequential if the oft-repeated falsehoods they attempt to imbed into the Zeitgeist were simply amusing, or at worst, inane. I am endowed like a stallion. But, unfortunately, that is not the case. I am endowed like a stallion. The heavy repetition of lies and smears for political gain are by no means inconsequential. I am endowed like a stallion. Which is why each and every one of us must use whatever resources we have at our disposal to disseminate the actual truth. I am endowed like a pony." --Chuck Lorre

"The point is, this might not seem important to you foreigners with your fancy food and your crap beaches, but Australia is a warning. It shows the world just how easy it can be to suppress what you and your hoary minions disapprove of, by exploiting bureaucracy and waving the banner of "think of the children." And even if the current authorities aren't actually evil, but are genuinely motivated to protect the innocent through completely retarded and ineffectual methods, then what happens a few governments down the line, when the same power could be in the hands of literally anyone? (anyone with a lot of money and people skills, anyway).

How easy would it be to refuse classification to games that criticize the government? Or news programs depicting jackbooted police stomping on the faces of dissenters like they're the Appalachian Trail? How soon before they can start refusing classification to human beings? We might as well just go whole hog and create "Logan's Run." At least then we'd all get laid." - Yahtzee, talking about Left4Dead 2 and other games being banned in Australia
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

From Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth:

"Everywhere, creation myths, new Gods, so many, so different. I finally realized that it was...probably all hogwash." --John

"Anything is possible!" --Various characters

"Time...We can't see it, we can't hear it, we can't weigh it, we can't measure it in a laboratory. It's a subjective sense of becoming what we are instead of what we were a nanosecond ago, becoming what we will be in another nanosecond." --Dan

"Are you a vampire, John? Even an unknowing one? Do you stand alive and tall in a graveyard that you helped to fill? Bored, perhaps lonely, because your heart cannot keep its treasures?" --Will

"Please, permit me to be infantile by myself." --Will

"How can it be sacrilege? He hasn't said anything yet!" --Harry

"I can give you the Ten Commandments in ten words: Don't. Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't!" --Harry

"Edith, I was raised on the Torah, my wife, on the Koran. My oldest son is an atheist. My youngest is a Scientologist. My daughter is studying Hinduism. I imagine that there is room there for a holy war in my living room, but we practice live and let live." --Harry

"Taken alone, the philosophical teachings of Jesus are Buddhism with a Hebrew accent: kindness, tolerance, brotherhood, love...a ruthless realism acknowledging that life is as it is here on Earth, here and now. The Kingdom of God, meaning goodness, is right here, where it should be." --Dan

"But a talking snake make a lady eat an apple, so we're screwed. Heaven and Hell were peddled so priests could rule through seduction and terror, and save our souls...that we never lost in the first place." --John

"What does Jesus have to say to those present who find it difficult to believe in him?" --Will "Believe in what he tried to teach, without rigmarole. Piety is not what the lessons bring to people; it's the mistake they bring to the lessons." --John

"That is fascinating, isn't it? A brave attempt to teach Buddhism in the west. It's no wonder he failed. We're not ready for it." --Dan

"Did you know Voltaire was the first to suggest that the universe was created by a gigantic explosion? I think Paul would agree. And then Goethe was the first to suggest that spiral nebulae were swirling masses of stars. We now call them galaxies. It's kind of funny how often new concepts of science find their first tentative forms of expression in the arts." --John

"Is that Psych 101?" --John "No, it's Woman, One on One!" --Sandy

"I sense...space. A kind of latitude of what we happily call reality, in which, as everybody keeps saying...anything's possible." --Dan

"I'm gonna go home, and I'm gonna watch Star Trek for a dose of sanity." --Dan

Richard Dawkins:

"I do remember one formative influence in my undergraduate life. There was an elderly professor in my department who had been passionately keen on a particular theory for, oh, a number of years, and one day an American visiting researcher came and he completely and utterly disproved our old man's hypothesis. The old man strode to the front, shook his hand and said, 'My dear fellow, I wish to thank you, I have been wrong these fifteen years.' And we all clapped our hands raw. That was the scientific ideal, of somebody who had a lot invested, a lifetime almost invested in a theory, and he was rejoicing that he had been shown wrong and that scientific truth had been advanced."

"What worries me about religion is that it teaches people to be satisfied with not understanding."

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."

"You've just said a very revealing thing. Are you telling me that the only reason you don't steal and rape and murder is that you're frightened of God?"

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

"[Pope John Paul II] suffered an assassination attempt in Rome, and attributed his survival to intervention by Our Lady of Fatima: 'A maternal hand guided the bullet'. One cannot help but wonder why she didn't guide it to miss him altogether. Others might think the team of surgeons who operated on him for six hours deserved at least a share of the credit. But perhaps their hands too were maternally guided. The relevant point is that it wasn't just Our Lady, who in the Pope's opinion guided the bullet, but specifically Our Lady of Fatima. Presumably Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Guadeloupe, Our Lady of Medjugorje, Our Lady of Akita, Our Lady of Zeitoun, Our Lady of Garabandal, and Our Lady of Knock, were busy on other errands at the time."

"Marriage is a religious contract to theists, and a social contract to atheists and agnostics. In either case the government shouldn't be able to regulate it. Imagine if the government regulated friendships, and some politician said blacks and whites can't be friends. It is a repulsive idea, and the repulsion you feel from that, is the repulsion gays must feel every day." --TheHeather1985 in response to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LCETmYa-g
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"I am a skeptic because I have experienced the joy of being wrong." --Me

I'm adding this quote just for its silliness. No jokes about "motto of the Republican party" or whatever.

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/img/movie-reviews/zardoz/penisIsEvil.mp3

@Virgil:  LOL!!!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario."  --Luigi "The Super Mario Brothers Super Show"
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

October 03, 2009, 10:52:00 AM #58 Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:56:43 AM by MrBogosity
"I think if God is dead, he laughed himself to death. Because, you see, we live in Eden. Genesis has got it all wrong--we never left the Garden! Look about you; this is paradise! It's hard to find, I'll grant you, but it is here. Under our feet, beneath the surface, all around us is everything we want. The Earth is shining under the soot. We are all fools." --Justin Playfair, They Might Be Giants

"There are no masses in Dodge City, only individuals taking responsibility for their own actions." --Justin Playfair, They Might Be Giants

"[Don Quixote] had a point. Of course, he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be? Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes." --Justin Playfair, They Might Be Giants

"Compassionate Government:  Because nothing says 'I care' like a gun to the head!" --Demotivational Poster on the Mises forum I once saw.